Profile for Derek Rae Whayman > Reviews

Content by Derek Rae Whayman

Derek Rae Whayman

Hive Active Heating 2 and Hot Water (no installation)
Hive Active Heating 2 and Hot Water (no installation)

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing start, 12 Feb. 2016
Disappointing start. Registration of the unit on their web site didn't work so I had to call support.
8am: 'We're sorry, we're experiencing high call volumes'.
They said it's because 'you put in 123123123' as your phone number (true, I don't want intrusive calls, texts, etc) and for this reason our system did not activate your account.
Still, it didn't stop them not bothering to email back. Instead, the customer, who'd paid for a very expensive thermostat was made to do all the work.
Anyway, they activated my account on the phone without taking my phone number. Make what you will of the service and the credibility of the excuse.

Nest Learning Thermostat
Nest Learning Thermostat
Offered by AP-Direct

2.0 out of 5 stars A lengthy reset procedure was recommended. Since I bought it as part of a ..., 24 Jan. 2016
Too many problems for such an expensive unit.
1) When the power is switched off, the unit has trouble reconnecting wirelessly to the receiver at the boiler. A lengthy reset procedure was recommended. Since I bought it as part of a renovation package the power was going on and off regularly. It should be able to cope with this and I did not appreciate support's suggestion to switch to a wired connection which would involve more cost and redecoration which a wireless connection should avoid.

2) Recently it stopped switching on the heat in anticipation of the target time (i.e. so the house would be at target temperature at the target time). Instead it has been switching the heat on at the target time. So I've been coming home to a cold house. More to the point, this defeats its money saving operation. This idea of targets is so that it saves you money by reducing boiler time on - if I have to estimate when to turn the boiler on I might do it to early and have an empty house heated before I come now. But because of this malfunction, I have to do this anyway.

3) Support seem to enjoy giving you the runaround. E.g. I was asking 'senior support' about the 'Pro' features for the purposes of diagnosis and he told me I could go to the unit and see them. I pointed out it needed an account. He said I had an account. After more exchanges, it turns out that it is only for accredited installers. So I can't get an account and I can't check out these features. He knew this all along yet he told me anyway. I understand that if your product is flaky and you're in the firing line supporting it it is human to develop coping strategies, but this is totally unacceptable. They usual problems with bad support also apply, e.g. long hold times (30 mins) and failure to make promised call backs.

Overall: Supposed to be a labour-saving device adding to your convenience, but actually causes more trouble that it's worth.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2016 2:46 PM GMT

Samsung M2070W A4 Multifunction Xpress Mono Wireless Multifunction Laser Printer

3.0 out of 5 stars Half-decent printer, third rate support, 9 Jun. 2014
Here's what Samsung say when you log a bug and ask for a fix to go in future releases:

Hello,

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that it has been raised as an issue however, I would be unable to comment as to the content of any future releases as I do not have access to this information and would be unable to release it if I did.

Kind Regards,