Profile for Miskatonic > Reviews

Miskatonic (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Grado iGrado Street Style Headphones
Grado iGrado Street Style Headphones

3.0 out of 5 stars iGrados: Make sure you get the ones with the upgraded cables!, 24 Oct 2014
Review of the iGrados: I love the quality of the sound of these headphones, but as others have noted the cables tend to fray, caused by a combination of an inflexible cable sheath and a lack of tension management. I sent mine to the official iGrado repair company, who replaced the cable with the exact same one despite telling me they were going to fit the newer, less troublesome one. Well, after relatively few hours of use the cable sheath has once again broken where it enters the right side of the 'phones. Fortunately, I foresaw this happening and had already raised a complaint, and received a brand-new pair of iGrados with a seemingly-unique sky-blue cable that is much, much more flexible, and less microphonic to boot.
So, very enjoyable sound quality, badly flawed cable, but excellent customer service.

Icy Box IB-254U3 External Enclosure for 2.5 inch SATA HDD with USB 3.0 interface

4.0 out of 5 stars Not convinced of durability; short USB cable; otherwise fine., 24 Oct 2014
This one spins down the HDD correctly when my computer sleeps or ejects the drive, something I couldn't say for the last three USB 3.0 enclosures I tried. So, right away I've got to be pleased.
The enclosure comprises three separate pieces: the aluminium box depicted in the top of the three product images; a plastic-sided drive sled that slides in one end; and a thick silicone/latex sleeve that you pull on to cover the aluminium box once the drive sled is populated and inserted into the box. I haven't come across a similar design, but it's simple enough and works without issue. I have my doubts about the robustness of the drive sled, it being all plastic, but time will tell.
If I have any genuine complaint it's that the supplied USB cable is very short: probably no more than 6 inches from tip to tip. A minor niggle is that the silicone sheath doesn't have a notch where it borders the USB socket, so that you can't fully insert the supplied USB cable without it being fouled by the sheath. It seems solid enough, but I'll be lifting the sheath so that the plug enters the socket completely just to be on the safe side.

Inateck 2.5 Inch USB 3.0 Hard Drive Disk HDD External Enclosure Case with usb 3.0 Cable for 9.5mm 7mm 2.5" SATA HDD and SSD, Tool-free HDD Installation, Compatible With Windows 2000/ XP /Vista/ 7/ 8, Mac OS 9.1/10.8.4
Offered by Inateck

2.0 out of 5 stars Mac users may want to avoid these enclosures., 16 Oct 2014
Drives mounted in these enclosures do not spin down when they are "ejected" from the operating system, or when the Mac they are attached to fall asleep. This is a problem I have only experienced with these and one other enclosure, so I returned them after conversing with the manufacturer.
Apart from that, they are a simple and effective design. But being unable to successfully spin down drives reliably makes them unfit for purpose. If you're a Mac user, buy with caution.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2014 2:19 PM BST

Nux GP-1 Guitar Plug Headphones Amp
Nux GP-1 Guitar Plug Headphones Amp

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for some private jamming., 9 Oct 2014
Once I set up my pickups properly this began to sound very good. The distortion isn't always that noticeable, so that when finger-picking you can get a nice, clean sound. Plenty of volume, seems to be sturdy enough, and the battery lasts a good while. Glad I bought it.

[Optimized For SSD, Support UASP SATA III] Rocketek USB 3.0 & eSATA Hard Drive Enclosure for 2.5-Inch 9.5mm & 12.5mm SATA I/II/III HDD and SSD

2.0 out of 5 stars Probably best to avoid…, 9 Oct 2014
Several problems: the drive noise is quite noticeable as a result of the side vents; the way the main board attaches to the aluminium body is not ideal, and with the provided screwdriver I ended up slightly stripping one of the screws as a result; there's no padding to prevent the hard drive from moving vertically in transit, so that you can occasionally hear it clunking against the aluminium case; and, most importantly for me, this enclosure wouldn't allow the attached hard drive to spin down when ejected or told to sleep.
As a result I've initiated a return and I'll look for something else.

iBasso DX50 24/192 HiFi Audiophile Digital Audio Player with Lossless support & Wolfson DAC
Offered by Hifi Store

3.0 out of 5 stars Apple-like usability, but the audio didn't impress, 24 Sep 2014
I purchased this after being disappointed with, and returning, a Fiio X5. See my review there for those details.
The iBasso DX50 (firmware 1.5) is over £100 cheaper, and this shows in the audio quality. It's definitely not bad, but I wasn't sufficiently impressed to consider it an upgrade from my Nokia N8 (which I use currently) or the iPod 5.5G (which I previously owned). I didn't consider it the equal of the Fiio E17K USB DAC which I use, which has a more spacious and revealing sound. On the other hand, the DX50 sounded quite closed-in, forced and forthright to my ears. It definitely lacked finesse.
It's probably best just to focus on what I didn't like about the device, as it really is well put-together and thought out, with a very intuitive, straightforward and usable user interface.
So, on the negative side: the display is high-quality and responsive, but the detail and rendering is poor. Text is readable but blocky (presumably because of a lack of anti-aliasing), and album art is scaled down very poorly, so that you get more or less the gist of the original image, but none of the detail. Battery life is supposed to be 12 hours, but I didn't feel I was getting that, though I admit I didn't test it methodically. The biggest drawback, however, was the time the device takes to scan a new (or modified) memory card for music. This I did time, on one occasion, with a 32GB microSD filled with only lossless files (so, considerably fewer than if I had filled the card with AAC or MP3). It took over 5 minutes for the DX50 to finish scanning and let me begin playback - considerably slower than the X5, and unacceptably slow in my book.
All-in-all I didn't consider it worth the £170 I paid, so I returned it for a refund within the required 14-days.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2014 9:36 PM BST

Assorted Elastic Bungee Cord Set - 6 Pack
Assorted Elastic Bungee Cord Set - 6 Pack
Offered by Shop Monk

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor elasticity and durability - look elsewhere, 16 Sep 2014
I've had these for a three months now and was using them for binding random objects to my rear bicycle rack.
I used the two red cords at first, and they're now in the bin, having worn through to the elastic. They weren't used that often, so it's fair to say they're not that durable.
On the whole, they're not very elastic either, and I find the binding strength very poor. I'm going to buy new bungees, avoiding these. I suggest potential purchasers do the same.

Copag - Bridge Playing Cards 100% Plastic (Blue)
Copag - Bridge Playing Cards 100% Plastic (Blue)
Offered by Poker Shop Europe

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice deck, but beware of warping, 13 Sep 2014
The first deck I received had a noticeable warp straight from the pack, I think it's referred to as, "belly down", where the short edges rise up. The seller was excellent and the replacement deck shows no such issue.
That aside, these are lovely cards. They shuffle easily and don't stick to each other at all. Riffling is a joy. Nice intricate face designs with no colour bleed. The second Joker (the one with the URL at the foot) in both decks I received has faded colours but this appears to be a design feature. They wipe clean easily.

VeloChampion MLT10 Bike Multi Tool
VeloChampion MLT10 Bike Multi Tool
Offered by Maxgear Limited

2.0 out of 5 stars Imprecise hex tool sizing led to stripped bolt head!, 30 Aug 2014
Just recently I used the 3mm and 5mm hex tools provided on this multitool to perform a pad replacement on Tektro Draco hydraulic disc brakes. Unfortunately, the sizing of the hex keys is inaccurate and caused me to strip the pad retainer screw so that it now needs replaced at my own cost, and I certainly did some damage to the caliper retention bolts. I initiated a return for this item under the Sale of Goods Act, stating it was "unfit for purpose", and Amazon have accepted.
My local bike shop examined the multitool, and I compared it to the one they commonly use, and certainly the hex keys on mine seemed less precise, and more rounded, resulting in the slippage that led to the bolt damage.
I'll be sticking to known brands such as Park for my replacement.

The Thick of It - Series 4 [DVD]
The Thick of It - Series 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rebecca Front

5.0 out of 5 stars A slice of fried gold…, 27 Aug 2014
There's so much going on in this show that you can re-visit it time and time again and pick up something new. I suppose the novelties in this series are the way the focus switches between both the government and opposition ministers (this was rarer before), and the depiction of the coalition. As I think someone else here mentioned, the comedy takes a while to reach its peak, but when it does you'll be roaring with laughter—Adam Kenyon's comment to Glenn and Will about the zombie apocalypse works so well I nearly died!
Buy it. Even if you already own it. This is comedy so good it's worth owning twice.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6