Profile for Miskatonic > Reviews

Walking Dead: Season 1 [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Walking Dead: Season 1 [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Andrew Lincoln
Offered by supermart_usa

2.0 out of 5 stars Appalling video quality, especially on the first DVD, 13 Dec 2014
Review for the Region 1, Anchor Bay Entertainment, Season 1, two-disc DVD edition.

I was very disappointed with the quality of the picture. The pilot is the worst, full of blockiness, colour banding and artefacts around objects. The road at the beginning is like a grey smear, for example. The lack of detail is astonishing, very noticeable in one scene where Rick leaves a house in the middle distance, and looks like a pixellated character from a retro computer game. There's also a flashing effect most noticeable on flat surfaces such as roads and walls. Really appalling, and probably the worst-quality genuine DVD I've ever viewed.

The problem appears to be that Anchor Bay have thrown the first 4 episodes onto the first disc, amounting to 3h30m, and only two episodes onto the second disc, amounting to 1h30m (the copious extras should have been sacrificed for better picture quality, not vice versa). I'm not sure that fully explains it though - maybe also a little incompetence, or a ploy to encourage Blu-Ray sales?

The show's fine, not great, but then you can read reviews about that elsewhere if you have to. So, gains a star for that.

Basically avoid this version and save up for the Blu-Ray editions instead, of which I've heard good reports.

1 Pair of Replacement Ear Pads Cushions for DT770 DT551 DT880 DT990 DT531 DT801 DT440 DT660---Black
Offered by Highly One

3.0 out of 5 stars They do the job, more or less, 8 Dec 2014
I purchased these as replacements for the Superlux HD 668B leather pads.

They fit without difficulty, but are a little smaller than the originals, which means they impinge on my ears where the originals didn't. They're also not as soft as the originals, and coupled with the quite stiff pressure of the 668B's headband, I found they pressed almost painfully against my head over a short period of time. I force-stretched the headband until it emitted a "ping" and this seems to have relieved some of the pressure, making these wearable.

They do indeed reduce the sweatiness of the fake leather original pads, so: 3 stars. They're OK. But I don't think they're as a necessity as some 668B reviewers would have you believe.

Pure Contour D1 Dock with DAB/FM Radio and Bluetooth for iPod/iPhone/iPad
Pure Contour D1 Dock with DAB/FM Radio and Bluetooth for iPod/iPhone/iPad

2.0 out of 5 stars Flawed - Not recommended, 8 Dec 2014
This thing was so annoying I stopped using it. The most frequent annoyance was caused by its auto-play feature, whereby it tries to begin playback of what you were last listening to on your iPhone. Instead, it would stop playing what was already playing, or start playing back something I hadn't been listening to for hours - sometimes randomly about half-an-hour after I'd docked my iPhone, scaring the bejeezus out of me. The buttons on the device were hopelessly unresponsive, especially the volume. The DAB radio would take what I thought was a long time to tune-in, though this is common with DAB. Over time, the dock began to frequently ignore my iPhone, requiring constant re-insertion to prompt recognition. Finally, the clock was too bright for use in a bedroom, even on the lowest setting. I eventually just turned it off completely.

The audio playback isn't too bad, I'll grant. But the negatives are too many.

Avoid.

Superlux HD668B Headphones
Superlux HD668B Headphones
Offered by Appods

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money; may benefit from good amping, 8 Nov 2014
For the price, the quality of the top end and mid-range in these headphones is fantastic, and I find them ideal for listening to TV dialogue - I don't miss a thing. With music, these are the first headphones that've been able to make Spiritualized's "Out Of Sight" sound open and uncompressed, which is refreshing.

My original review noted a lack of bass extension and authority. I've since revised my opinion after modifying the default settings on my Fiio E17, my main source device. By turning the Gain to zero (the E17 defaults to its middle setting of 6), and raising the volume to compensate, I was able to improve the bass noticeably, whilst keeping the clarity in the top end. I'm not sure the bass extends much more than before, but it has a lot more presence now. For that reason I think these benefit from good amping. I think I'm less likely to upgrade these, certainly for a good while.

The ear-pads aren't actually that uncomfortable, and not as sweaty as I was expecting. But I ordered the velour pads anyway, just for the added comfort.

I suppose if I have any concerns at all, it's that the cable and headset transmit quite a lot of movement sound.

Used almost exclusively with a Fiio E17. Burned-in for a full 100 hours before first listen.

Grado iGrado Street Style Headphones
Grado iGrado Street Style Headphones
Offered by Nintronics

3.0 out of 5 stars iGrados: Make sure you get the ones with the upgraded cables!, 24 Oct 2014
Review of the iGrados: I love the quality of the sound of these headphones, but as others have noted the cables tend to fray, caused by a combination of an inflexible cable sheath and a lack of tension management. I sent mine to the official iGrado repair company, who replaced the cable with the exact same one despite telling me they were going to fit the newer, less troublesome one. Well, after relatively few hours of use the cable sheath has once again broken where it enters the right side of the 'phones. Fortunately, I foresaw this happening and had already raised a complaint, and received a brand-new pair of iGrados with a seemingly-unique sky-blue cable that is much, much more flexible, and less microphonic to boot.
So, very enjoyable sound quality, badly flawed cable, but excellent customer service.

Icy Box IB-254U3 External Enclosure for 2.5 inch SATA HDD with USB 3.0 interface
Offered by ADMI Limited UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, but not convinced of durability, 24 Oct 2014
This one spins down the HDD correctly when my computer sleeps or ejects the drive, something I couldn't say for the last three USB 3.0 enclosures I tried. So, right away I've got to be pleased.
The enclosure comprises three separate pieces: the aluminium box depicted in the top of the three product images; a plastic-sided drive sled that slides in one end; and a thick silicone/latex sleeve that you pull on to cover the aluminium box once the drive sled is populated and inserted into the box. I haven't come across a similar design, but it's simple enough and works without issue. I have my doubts about the robustness of the drive sled, it being all plastic, but time will tell.
A minor niggle is that the silicone sheath doesn't have a notch where it borders the USB socket, so that you can't fully insert the supplied USB cable without it being fouled by the sheath. It seems solid enough, but I'll be lifting the sheath so that the plug enters the socket completely just to be on the safe side.
EDITED 28th OCT: to remove mistaken complaint about the length of the USB cable. It's shorter than commonly supplied with hard drives, but sufficient for most purposes.

Inateck 2.5 Inch USB 3.0 Hard Drive Disk HDD External Enclosure Case with usb 3.0 Cable for 9.5mm 7mm 2.5" SATA HDD and SSD, Tool-free HDD Installation, Compatible With Windows 2000/ XP /Vista/ 7/ 8, Mac OS 9.1/10.8.4
Offered by Inateck

2.0 out of 5 stars Mac users may want to avoid these enclosures., 16 Oct 2014
Drives mounted in these enclosures do not spin down when they are "ejected" from the operating system, or when the Mac they are attached to fall asleep. This is a problem I have only experienced with these and one other enclosure, so I returned them after conversing with the manufacturer.
Apart from that, they are a simple and effective design. But being unable to successfully spin down drives reliably makes them unfit for purpose. If you're a Mac user, buy with caution.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2014 2:19 PM BST

Nux GP-1 Guitar Plug Headphones Amp
Nux GP-1 Guitar Plug Headphones Amp

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended for some private jamming., 9 Oct 2014
Once I set up my pickups properly this began to sound very good. The distortion isn't always that noticeable, so that when finger-picking you can get a nice, clean sound. Plenty of volume, seems to be sturdy enough, and the battery lasts a good while. Glad I bought it.

[Optimized For SSD, Support UASP SATA III] Rocketek USB 3.0 & eSATA Hard Drive Enclosure for 2.5-Inch 9.5mm & 12.5mm SATA I/II/III HDD and SSD
Offered by Rocketek UK

2.0 out of 5 stars Probably best to avoid…, 9 Oct 2014
Several problems: the drive noise is quite noticeable as a result of the side vents; the way the main board attaches to the aluminium body is not ideal, and with the provided screwdriver I ended up slightly stripping one of the screws as a result; there's no padding to prevent the hard drive from moving vertically in transit, so that you can occasionally hear it clunking against the aluminium case; and, most importantly for me, this enclosure wouldn't allow the attached hard drive to spin down when ejected or told to sleep.
As a result I've initiated a return and I'll look for something else.

iBasso DX50 24/192 HiFi Audiophile Digital Audio Player with Lossless support & Wolfson DAC
Offered by Advanced MP3 Players

3.0 out of 5 stars Apple-like usability, but the audio didn't impress, 24 Sep 2014
I purchased this after being disappointed with, and returning, a Fiio X5. See my review there for those details.
The iBasso DX50 (firmware 1.5) is over £100 cheaper, and this shows in the audio quality. It's definitely not bad, but I wasn't sufficiently impressed to consider it an upgrade from my Nokia N8 (which I use currently) or the iPod 5.5G (which I previously owned). I didn't consider it the equal of the Fiio E17K USB DAC which I use, which has a more spacious and revealing sound. On the other hand, the DX50 sounded quite closed-in, forced and forthright to my ears. It definitely lacked finesse.
It's probably best just to focus on what I didn't like about the device, as it really is well put-together and thought out, with a very intuitive, straightforward and usable user interface.
So, on the negative side: the display is high-quality and responsive, but the detail and rendering is poor. Text is readable but blocky (presumably because of a lack of anti-aliasing), and album art is scaled down very poorly, so that you get more or less the gist of the original image, but none of the detail. Battery life is supposed to be 12 hours, but I didn't feel I was getting that, though I admit I didn't test it methodically. The biggest drawback, however, was the time the device takes to scan a new (or modified) memory card for music. This I did time, on one occasion, with a 32GB microSD filled with only lossless files (so, considerably fewer than if I had filled the card with AAC or MP3). It took over 5 minutes for the DX50 to finish scanning and let me begin playback - considerably slower than the X5, and unacceptably slow in my book.
All-in-all I didn't consider it worth the £170 I paid, so I returned it for a refund within the required 14-days.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 11, 2014 9:36 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7