Profile for Miskatonic > Reviews

Miskatonic (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Bosvision Micro SD Adapter for MacBook Air / MacBook Pro / MBA / MBP
Bosvision Micro SD Adapter for MacBook Air / MacBook Pro / MBA / MBP
Offered by Bosvision Ltd.

5.0 out of 5 stars A satisfactory alternative to the Nifty products, 9 Jun. 2015
Much cheaper than the competitors, and works perfectly so far. I use it with a 128GB µSD card, and leave it in my Apple notebook's SD card slot the whole time with not a single technical issue as a result. Removing it is simple so long as you have a little bit of length on a fingernail.

Recommended.

The Andromeda Strain (1971) - Region B Blu-ray (Collector's Steelbook, Import, English audio & subtitles)
Dvd ~ James Olson
Offered by filmrollen

5.0 out of 5 stars Unmodified and unspoiled, with very good picture quality., 28 Mar. 2015
Review for the German Steelbook Blu-Ray version of, "The Andromeda Strain".

Just wanted to back up the other reviewer's assertion that this version of the film is unmodified and leaves the original "ticker-tape" subtitles in place.

The audio and video quality are very good, though I found the video quality seemed to suffer a touch, and be a little grainier, in the last 30-60mins. There were perhaps a handful of very brief, very small, white spots present throughout entire film, but nothing to detract from the film as a whole.

Shame I had to pay over the odds, but worthwhile for classic sci-fi such as this. Still gets the tension going.

Red Dragon [Blu-ray] [2002] [Region Free]
Red Dragon [Blu-ray] [2002] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Anthony Hopkins
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Avoid this; buy "Manhunter" instead., 23 Mar. 2015
In brief: such a bad film, I've already listed this for resale on a popular second-hand website.

At length: perhaps it's because I recently read the book this is based on; perhaps its because I've already seen (and loved) Michael Mann's "Manhunter"; perhaps it's because I recently watched the excellent, "The Silence of the Lambs". Perhaps it's a combination of all three. Either way, I found this film to be utter rubbish. Edward Norton's Will Graham had no pathos at all. Anthony Hopkins was over-used, and his Lector seemed a poor caricature of his first portrayal. Ralph Fiennes had no menace at all. This version of the film is very faithful to the text of the book (with some odd lapses that seemed to do nothing but favour stereotypes and clichés over the rounded characters of the book), but still somehow lost all the urgency and tension that give the book its edge. I felt absolutely no sense of horror, or any tension, at any point. I found the score intrusive and quite childish in its implementation. It's as though the score had to work overtime to compensate for an otherwise complete lack of tension or horror.

Don't buy this unless you're a completist.

SoundMAGIC P21 Foldable Closed Back On Ear Headphones - Black/Red
SoundMAGIC P21 Foldable Closed Back On Ear Headphones - Black/Red

2.0 out of 5 stars Quality an issue, 17 Mar. 2015
These block more ambient sound than the AKG K451s I previously used, and the pads, being slightly larger in diameter, fit more comfortably on the ears. I'm able to keep the volume set lower as a result, even in a busy urban setting. I haven't been able to determine how much sound leakage there is.

The audio quality is perfectly adequate, and enjoyable--again, an improvement on the AKG K451s. I'm wondering if they're a little bass-light, but that may be down to my source material.

EDIT: Just a small niggle: these are the first headphones I've owned that didn't have Braille marks to indicate Left and Right. I took advantage of these despite not being visually-impaired.

EDIT: As of the 7th June (just three months since I bought them) the headband has developed a crack where the plastic meets the red faux leather padding, which will shortly cause the headband to snap entirely. This is after what I consider light usage, the headphones well looked after and being kept in their case when not in use. Amazon are expediting a replacement pair, so no complaints there. Still, I hope this issue isn't repeated with the new set.

EDIT: Received the replacements 9th June, so Amazon really did rush out a new set. But after about 30 seconds the right earphone cut out, and no amount of (gentle) wire wiggling is coaxing the sound back. So, I'll be returning them. If Amazon let me, I'll just get a refund a try a different brand. Quality seems to be a problem here.

Not recommended. I suggest looking at the AKG Y50 Foldable On Ear Design Headphone with Remote/Microphone - Black's instead.

Alien Anthology [Blu-ray] [1979] [4 Disc Set]
Alien Anthology [Blu-ray] [1979] [4 Disc Set]
Dvd ~ Sigourney Weaver

5.0 out of 5 stars Chest-burstingly good!, 7 Mar. 2015
After reading the review on Blu-Ray.com I had to get this to replace my ageing DVD copy of Aliens: Special Edition. The others I didn't own, so it was an easy decision. These comprise all the original Alien films, and so can be considered canonical for the pre-reboot saga. If I had to say which of the eight editions I considered to be canonical canonical (?), it'd be:
Alien (Theatrical Edition); Aliens (Special Edition); Alien 3 (Special Edition); Alien Resurrection (Theatrical Edition).
Well, I don't really rate Alien: Resurrection at all, though Brad Dourif's always good (I'll always remember his Piter De Vries in, "Dune"), and it was scripted by Joss Whedon, but the concept and climax are fatally flawed IMO.
Anyway, get this, turn off the lights and prepare for your heart to beat so hard you'll think you're harbouring your own chest-burster!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60EB-K Compact Digital Camera - Black (18.1MP, 30x Optical Zoom, High Sensitivity MOS Sensor) 3 inch LCD (New for 2014)
Offered by Inkubus Bargains

2.0 out of 5 stars Already hair and dust inside the lens, after only two weeks, 7 Mar. 2015
I decided to send this back after after I discovered hair and dust inside the lens. This is a widely-reported issue, and I've decided that if it happens this easily it's not worth my money or my hassle.
If I had another quibble, it's that the screen doesn't update quickly enough at long zoom ranges, and the AF is practically useless beyond a certain zoom point, but those I could have easily lived with.
A shame, because it's otherwise very nice to use. Also, Apple have just released a RAW update that includes support for this model in Yosemite.

Lorus Military Lumibrite Dial Day-Date Grey Nylon Strap Gents Watch RXF41AX7
Lorus Military Lumibrite Dial Day-Date Grey Nylon Strap Gents Watch RXF41AX7
Offered by Rubicon Watch Company Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps time just fine…, 1 Feb. 2015
Just a brief review to respond to the review of alan hodkinson, who wrote that his watch was losing 10-15 minutes per day. I synced mine to an NTP pool (atomic clock online service) and, after one month, re-checked and found that my watch was still precisely 0.5 seconds behind the atomic clock, exactly as it was after I synced it. So, if anyone finds theirs is losing time, have it repaired or replaced under your warranty.

Other than that, this is a fine watch for the price. I just wish it had a perpetual calendar, but finding one of those at a reasonable price isn't easy, and IME impossible with day and date formatted the way it is on this watch.

This'll do in the meantime.

Almodovar
Almodovar

5.0 out of 5 stars ¡Cómpratelo ya!, 10 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Almodovar (Audio CD)
Great collection of tracks, the only one I wish was here is the opening theme after the birth of Victor in Carne Trémula. Otherwise, perfect.

Filmtales
Filmtales

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality ambient tunes, 10 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Filmtales (Audio CD)
Nice relaxing ambient tunes, good for the background and chilling out to.

Samsung Galaxy SIII UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Pebble Blue (16GB) - Discontinued by manufacturer
Offered by NextDayPhoneShop

2.0 out of 5 stars Rough around the edges, and frustrating to use, 10 Jan. 2015
My experience with the S3 is coloured by my experience with my main phone, an iPhone 4S, which I use 99% of the time and consider vastly superior in terms of hardware and software. On the whole the S3 is a less capable and less satisfactory phone.

Some simple hardware examples: there are fewer steps when adjusting the volume, meaning you often have to put up with your music being too loud or too quiet; the power button is right opposite the volume rocker, making it a chore to use one without the pressing the other; the screen takes between two and three times longer to wake from sleep, even during a call, so be prepared to not be quick enough for those automated systems that ask you to, "press 1 now"; the OLED screen, while it has great contrast, over-saturates movies and images, and seems to reproduce shaded areas very poorly; the speaker is on the back, which means the audio is always firing away from you when you're looking at the screen, etc. One charming highlight of Samsung's phones is the fact that, should you ever attempt to jailbreak, you'll actually trip an unavoidable electronic fuse that burns itself out and utterly invalidates your warranty (though without impairing functionality). Even Apple doesn't go that far...

EDIT: and another hardware limitation I've just discovered: you can't remove the SIM without powering down the phone and removing the battery.

Software examples abound, but amongst the most annoying are: not being able to access any kind of advanced software functionality from the lock screen when you use a PIN or better (so, no camera/brightness adjustment/clock/timer/stopwatch/calculator, and no calendar, all of which you get with the iPhone); having to confirm when you choose to toggle Flight Mode, and having to read a long spiel about what the function does every single time you activate it; the clutter that is the Settings app, made worse by the description that accompanies most toggles or options; the numerous unexpected pop-ups from Google; the lack of granularity with Location services - it's either on for every app, or off for every app (unless you use a hidden feature removed by Google in an Android update); the intimidating warnings about device access requirements that accompany almost every app purchase; etc.

Then there's the mess that is Samsung Kies, their dedicated desktop application for managing photos, videos and backups. You can't perform a simple, full backup as you can with iPhones and iTunes, but must do it piecemeal, and you can't back up the system as a whole. Makes bringing a replacement phone back to a usable state much more complicated and wearisome, though I admit it can have its uses.

So, why did I buy the S3? Well, it has two things I wanted that Apple will never offer on any of its phones: the ability to directly record my telephone calls (for business purposes); and the ability to expand the storage via microSD cards. But that's it. I use my iPhone 4S for everything else, and I'm far, far happier for it.

Do yourself a favour: save up for the peace of mind that comes from owning an iOS-based phone, and eschew the Android ecosystem until it comes of age*, unless, like me, you find it offers something you genuinely can't get from an Apple device.

* Features are frequently removed with each Android version, which I found out only after buying my S3 and discovering it unexpectedly came with a later version of the OS in which a crucial feature I required had been removed entirely.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8