Profile for Miskatonic > Reviews

Content by Miskatonic

Miskatonic (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
iBasso DX50 24/192 HiFi Audiophile Digital Audio Player with Lossless support & Wolfson DAC

3.0 out of 5 stars Apple-like usability, but the audio didn't impress, 24 Sep 2014
I purchased this after being disappointed with, and returning, a Fiio X5. See my review there for those details.
The iBasso DX50 (firmware 1.5) is over £100 cheaper, and this shows in the audio quality. It's definitely not bad, but I wasn't sufficiently impressed to consider it an upgrade from my Nokia N8 (which I use currently) or the iPod 5.5G (which I previously owned). I didn't consider it the equal of the Fiio E17K USB DAC which I use, which has a more spacious and revealing sound. On the other hand, the DX50 sounded quite closed-in, forced and forthright to my ears. It definitely lacked finesse.
It's probably best just to focus on what I didn't like about the device, as it really is well put-together and thought out, with a very intuitive, straightforward and usable user interface.
So, on the negative side: the display is high-quality and responsive, but the detail and rendering is poor. Text is readable but blocky (presumably because of a lack of anti-aliasing), and album art is scaled down very poorly, so that you get more or less the gist of the original image, but none of the detail. Battery life is supposed to be 12 hours, but I didn't feel I was getting that, though I admit I didn't test it methodically. The biggest drawback, however, was the time the device takes to scan a new (or modified) memory card for music. This I did time, on one occasion, with a 32GB microSD filled with only lossless files (so, considerably fewer than if I had filled the card with AAC or MP3). It took over 5 minutes for the DX50 to finish scanning and let me begin playback - considerably slower than the X5, and unacceptably slow in my book.
All-in-all I didn't consider it worth the £170 I paid, so I returned it for a refund within the required 14-days.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 30, 2014 10:08 AM BST

Assorted Elastic Bungee Cord Set - 6 Pack
Assorted Elastic Bungee Cord Set - 6 Pack
Offered by EROLLING

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor elasticity and durability - look elsewhere, 16 Sep 2014
I've had these for a three months now and was using them for binding random objects to my rear bicycle rack.
I used the two red cords at first, and they're now in the bin, having worn through to the elastic. They weren't used that often, so it's fair to say they're not that durable.
On the whole, they're not very elastic either, and I find the binding strength very poor. I'm going to buy new bungees, avoiding these. I suggest potential purchasers do the same.

Copag - Bridge Playing Cards 100% Plastic (Blue)
Copag - Bridge Playing Cards 100% Plastic (Blue)
Offered by Poker Shop Europe

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice deck, but beware of warping, 13 Sep 2014
The first deck I received had a noticeable warp straight from the pack, I think it's referred to as, "belly down", where the short edges rise up. The seller was excellent and the replacement deck shows no such issue.
That aside, these are lovely cards. They shuffle easily and don't stick to each other at all. Riffling is a joy. Nice intricate face designs with no colour bleed. The second Joker (the one with the URL at the foot) in both decks I received has faded colours but this appears to be a design feature. They wipe clean easily.

VeloChampion MLT10 Bike Multi Tool
VeloChampion MLT10 Bike Multi Tool
Offered by Maxgear Limited

2.0 out of 5 stars Imprecise hex tool sizing led to stripped bolt head!, 30 Aug 2014
Just recently I used the 3mm and 5mm hex tools provided on this multitool to perform a pad replacement on Tektro Draco hydraulic disc brakes. Unfortunately, the sizing of the hex keys is inaccurate and caused me to strip the pad retainer screw so that it now needs replaced at my own cost, and I certainly did some damage to the caliper retention bolts. I initiated a return for this item under the Sale of Goods Act, stating it was "unfit for purpose", and Amazon have accepted.
My local bike shop examined the multitool, and I compared it to the one they commonly use, and certainly the hex keys on mine seemed less precise, and more rounded, resulting in the slippage that led to the bolt damage.
I'll be sticking to known brands such as Park for my replacement.

The Thick of It - Series 4 [DVD]
The Thick of It - Series 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rebecca Front

5.0 out of 5 stars A slice of fried gold…, 27 Aug 2014
There's so much going on in this show that you can re-visit it time and time again and pick up something new. I suppose the novelties in this series are the way the focus switches between both the government and opposition ministers (this was rarer before), and the depiction of the coalition. As I think someone else here mentioned, the comedy takes a while to reach its peak, but when it does you'll be roaring with laughter—Adam Kenyon's comment to Glenn and Will about the zombie apocalypse works so well I nearly died!
Buy it. Even if you already own it. This is comedy so good it's worth owning twice.

Grosse Pointe Blank
Grosse Pointe Blank
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Evocative tracks from a great film, 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: Grosse Pointe Blank (Audio CD)
Probably one of my favourite soundtracks. A great mix of tunes from memorable points in the movie; I can't think off-hand of a single one that's missing. I recommend picking this up for the E. Cola Mix of Pete Townshend's "Let My Love Open The Door" alone.

Microfibre Travel Towel -Sports Gym Swimming Yoga Pilates Bikram Bathroom Hair Beach Towels, Quick Dry, Large, Extra Large, XL, Giant, Small When Folded, 130 x 80 cm - Free Bag - 100% Money Back Satisfaction Guarantee!
Offered by Benests

5.0 out of 5 stars Adds time to your life!, 27 Aug 2014
Very impressive. The time I take between leaving the shower and getting dressed has been cut drastically, because of the efficacy of this towel. I'm buying another for a sporty relative who'll appreciate the ability to spend a couple more minutes in the gym on their tight schedule. One of the things I appreciate is that the damp patches become translucent, allowing me to hold the towel up to a light and pick a dry spot for further use. Haven't had it for long but it seems durable enough, and does indeed dry quickly when appropriately hung.
Recommended.

X-Rite ColorMunki Display (Mac/PC)
X-Rite ColorMunki Display (Mac/PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice device, poor support, 14 Aug 2014
The higher profile and lower weight makes it more difficult to place this flush to the screen - my X-rite Optix XR was much better in this regard. However, the calibration and profile results are excellent. This device is supported by the open-source Argyll CMS, and recommended by the developer, which is why I bought it.

My experience of their support is poor. Registration requires a wealth of superfluous information, especially if you're just a domestic customer, and a few website errors. Reporting those errors required the provision of even more superfluous information, and even then I haven't received a response, despite waiting a month. I've a feeling X-Rite aren't really concerned with domestic sales. Perhaps you'll get better treatment if you're a professional.

The Dark Knight Rises (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2012] [Region Free]
The Dark Knight Rises (Blu-ray + UV Copy) [2012] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Christian Bale

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to the standard of the previous two films, 14 Aug 2014
This review contains spoilers.

The weakest of the three films, by far. The premise is on a par with The Dark Knight in terms of scope and scale, but the execution is much poorer. Whilst the plots of the previous two films could arguably stand up to critical scrutiny this one fails right from the get-go, from the atrociously incautious CIA agent to the remarkably flimsy plane. Later I noticed, without really intending to, two glaring production errors: Cat woman speaks when her lips are clearly not moving; and a henchman falls on his backside as though struck during a choreographed fight scene despite receiving not even a glance from an opponent.

All-in-all there seems to have been less effort put into this film than the prior two, and it shows. Pity. Maybe it was a little rushed?

Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24 inch LCD TFT Monitor (16:10, 1920x1200, 300 cd/m2)
Dell UltraSharp U2412M 24 inch LCD TFT Monitor (16:10, 1920x1200, 300 cd/m2)
Offered by PCBuyIT Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars High-quality monitor for a very affordable price, 14 Aug 2014
Purchased this as a replacement for a 23'' Aluminium Apple Cinema Display after reading copious reviews online (TFT Central; FlatPanelsHD etc.). It delivers in all the respects I was hoping it would: improved black level at 120cd/m^2 (0.117 vs. 0.20); improved sRGB coverage (97% vs. 90%); improved colour accuracy (peak deltaE 3.46; mean deltaE ~1.5 vs. I can't remember, but not as good); equal or better responsiveness; 4 USB2.0 ports vs 2 USB2.0 ports; improved connectivity (DP & DVI-D vs DVI-D); greatly reduced power consumption; and a vastly more adjustable stand.

The only place in which it falls slightly is in the presence of slightly more noticeable IPS glow in the corners, which also has a blue tint as opposed to the ACD's yellow. But then, it may be more noticeable simply because the black levels are so much better.

I should note this was for a Rev. A00 produced in January 2014, purchased for £187 as an Amazon Warehouse deal. I have no hesitations in recommending it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6