Profile for Miskatonic > Reviews

Lorus Military Lumibrite Dial Day-Date Grey Nylon Strap Gents Watch RXF41AX7
Lorus Military Lumibrite Dial Day-Date Grey Nylon Strap Gents Watch RXF41AX7
Offered by The Friendly Lifestyle Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Keeps time just fine…, 1 Feb. 2015
Just a brief review to respond to the review of alan hodkinson, who wrote that his watch was losing 10-15 minutes per day. I synced mine to an NTP pool (atomic clock online service) and, after one month, re-checked and found that my watch was still precisely 0.5 seconds behind the atomic clock, exactly as it was after I synced it. So, if anyone finds theirs is losing time, have it repaired or replaced under your warranty.

Other than that, this is a fine watch for the price. I just wish it had a perpetual calendar, but finding one of those at a reasonable price isn't easy, and IME impossible with day and date formatted the way it is on this watch.

This'll do in the meantime.

Almodovar
Almodovar

5.0 out of 5 stars ¡Cómpratelo ya!, 10 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Almodovar (Audio CD)
Great collection of tracks, the only one I wish was here is the opening theme after the birth of Victor in Carne Trémula. Otherwise, perfect.

Filmtales
Filmtales

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality ambient tunes, 10 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Filmtales (Audio CD)
Nice relaxing ambient tunes, good for the background and chilling out to.

Samsung Galaxy SIII UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Pebble Blue (16GB)
Samsung Galaxy SIII UK SIM-Free Smartphone - Pebble Blue (16GB)
Offered by MS DEAL

2.0 out of 5 stars Rough around the edges, and frustrating to use, 10 Jan. 2015
My experience with the S3 is coloured by my experience with my main phone, an iPhone 4S, which I use 99% of the time and consider vastly superior in terms of hardware and software. On the whole the S3 is a less capable and less satisfactory phone.

Some simple hardware examples: there are fewer steps when adjusting the volume, meaning you often have to put up with your music being too loud or too quiet; the power button is right opposite the volume rocker, making it a chore to use one without the pressing the other; the screen takes between two and three times longer to wake from sleep, even during a call, so be prepared to not be quick enough for those automated systems that ask you to, "press 1 now"; the OLED screen, while it has great contrast, over-saturates movies and images, and seems to reproduce shaded areas very poorly; the speaker is on the back, which means the audio is always firing away from you when you're looking at the screen, etc. One charming highlight of Samsung's phones is the fact that, should you ever attempt to jailbreak, you'll actually trip an unavoidable electronic fuse that burns itself out and utterly invalidates your warranty (though without impairing functionality). Even Apple doesn't go that far...

EDIT: and another hardware limitation I've just discovered: you can't remove the SIM without powering down the phone and removing the battery.

Software examples abound, but amongst the most annoying are: not being able to access any kind of advanced software functionality from the lock screen when you use a PIN or better (so, no camera/brightness adjustment/clock/timer/stopwatch/calculator, and no calendar, all of which you get with the iPhone); having to confirm when you choose to toggle Flight Mode, and having to read a long spiel about what the function does every single time you activate it; the clutter that is the Settings app, made worse by the description that accompanies most toggles or options; the numerous unexpected pop-ups from Google; the lack of granularity with Location services - it's either on for every app, or off for every app (unless you use a hidden feature removed by Google in an Android update); the intimidating warnings about device access requirements that accompany almost every app purchase; etc.

Then there's the mess that is Samsung Kies, their dedicated desktop application for managing photos, videos and backups. You can't perform a simple, full backup as you can with iPhones and iTunes, but must do it piecemeal, and you can't back up the system as a whole. Makes bringing a replacement phone back to a usable state much more complicated and wearisome, though I admit it can have its uses.

So, why did I buy the S3? Well, it has two things I wanted that Apple will never offer on any of its phones: the ability to directly record my telephone calls (for business purposes); and the ability to expand the storage via microSD cards. But that's it. I use my iPhone 4S for everything else, and I'm far, far happier for it.

Do yourself a favour: save up for the peace of mind that comes from owning an iOS-based phone, and eschew the Android ecosystem until it comes of age*, unless, like me, you find it offers something you genuinely can't get from an Apple device.

* Features are frequently removed with each Android version, which I found out only after buying my S3 and discovering it unexpectedly came with a later version of the OS in which a crucial feature I required had been removed entirely.

Walking Dead: Season 1 [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Walking Dead: Season 1 [DVD] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Andrew Lincoln
Offered by RAREWAVES USA

2.0 out of 5 stars Appalling video quality, especially on the first DVD, 13 Dec. 2014
Review for the Region 1, Anchor Bay Entertainment, Season 1, two-disc DVD edition.

I was very disappointed with the quality of the picture. The pilot is the worst, full of blockiness, colour banding and artefacts around objects. The road at the beginning is like a grey smear, for example. The lack of detail is astonishing, very noticeable in one scene where Rick leaves a house in the middle distance, and looks like a pixellated character from a retro computer game. There's also a flashing effect most noticeable on flat surfaces such as roads and walls. Really appalling, and probably the worst-quality genuine DVD I've ever viewed.

The problem appears to be that Anchor Bay have thrown the first 4 episodes onto the first disc, amounting to 3h30m, and only two episodes onto the second disc, amounting to 1h30m (the copious extras should have been sacrificed for better picture quality, not vice versa). I'm not sure that fully explains it though - maybe also a little incompetence, or a ploy to encourage Blu-Ray sales?

The show's fine, not great, but then you can read reviews about that elsewhere if you have to. So, gains a star for that.

Basically avoid this version and save up for the Blu-Ray editions instead, of which I've heard good reports.

1 Pair of Replacement Ear Pads Cushions for DT770 DT551 DT880 DT990 DT531 DT801 DT440 DT660---Black
Offered by Highly One

3.0 out of 5 stars They do the job, more or less, 8 Dec. 2014
I purchased these as replacements for the Superlux HD 668B leather pads.

They fit without difficulty, but are a little smaller than the originals, which means they impinge on my ears where the originals didn't. They're also not as soft as the originals, and coupled with the quite stiff pressure of the 668B's headband, I found they pressed almost painfully against my head over a short period of time. I force-stretched the headband until it emitted a "ping" and this seems to have relieved some of the pressure, making these wearable.

They do indeed reduce the sweatiness of the fake leather original pads, so: 3 stars. They're OK. But I don't think they're as a necessity as some 668B reviewers would have you believe.

Pure Contour D1 Dock with DAB/FM Radio and Bluetooth for iPod/iPhone/iPad
Pure Contour D1 Dock with DAB/FM Radio and Bluetooth for iPod/iPhone/iPad

2.0 out of 5 stars Flawed - Not recommended, 8 Dec. 2014
This thing was so annoying I stopped using it. The most frequent annoyance was caused by its auto-play feature, whereby it tries to begin playback of what you were last listening to on your iPhone. Instead, it would stop playing what was already playing, or start playing back something I hadn't been listening to for hours - sometimes randomly about half-an-hour after I'd docked my iPhone, scaring the bejeezus out of me. The buttons on the device were hopelessly unresponsive, especially the volume. The DAB radio would take what I thought was a long time to tune-in, though this is common with DAB. Over time, the dock began to frequently ignore my iPhone, requiring constant re-insertion to prompt recognition. Finally, the clock was too bright for use in a bedroom, even on the lowest setting. I eventually just turned it off completely.

The audio playback isn't too bad, I'll grant. But the negatives are too many.

Avoid.

Superlux HD668B Headphones
Superlux HD668B Headphones
Offered by MACLEAN TV SYSTEMS

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for money; may benefit from good amping, 8 Nov. 2014
For the price, the quality of the top end and mid-range in these headphones is fantastic, and I find them ideal for listening to TV dialogue - I don't miss a thing. With music, these are the first headphones that've been able to make Spiritualized's "Out Of Sight" sound open and uncompressed, which is refreshing.

My original review noted a lack of bass extension and authority. I've since revised my opinion after modifying the default settings on my Fiio E17, my main source device. By turning the Gain to zero (the E17 defaults to its middle setting of 6), and raising the volume to compensate, I was able to improve the bass noticeably, whilst keeping the clarity in the top end. I'm not sure the bass extends much more than before, but it has a lot more presence now. For that reason I think these benefit from good amping. I think I'm less likely to upgrade these, certainly for a good while.

The ear-pads aren't actually that uncomfortable, and not as sweaty as I was expecting. But I ordered the velour pads anyway, just for the added comfort.

I suppose if I have any concerns at all, it's that the cable and headset transmit quite a lot of movement sound.

Used almost exclusively with a Fiio E17. Burned-in for a full 100 hours before first listen.

Grado iGrado Street Style Headphones
Grado iGrado Street Style Headphones

3.0 out of 5 stars iGrados: Make sure you get the ones with the upgraded cables!, 24 Oct. 2014
Review of the iGrados: I love the quality of the sound of these headphones, but as others have noted the cables tend to fray, caused by a combination of an inflexible cable sheath and a lack of tension management. I sent mine to the official iGrado repair company, who replaced the cable with the exact same one despite telling me they were going to fit the newer, less troublesome one. Well, after relatively few hours of use the cable sheath has once again broken where it enters the right side of the 'phones. Fortunately, I foresaw this happening and had already raised a complaint, and received a brand-new pair of iGrados with a seemingly-unique sky-blue cable that is much, much more flexible, and less microphonic to boot.
So, very enjoyable sound quality, badly flawed cable, but excellent customer service.

Icy Box IB-254U3 External Enclosure for 2.5 inch SATA HDD with USB 3.0 interface

4.0 out of 5 stars Works fine, but not convinced of durability, 24 Oct. 2014
This one spins down the HDD correctly when my computer sleeps or ejects the drive, something I couldn't say for the last three USB 3.0 enclosures I tried. So, right away I've got to be pleased.
The enclosure comprises three separate pieces: the aluminium box depicted in the top of the three product images; a plastic-sided drive sled that slides in one end; and a thick silicone/latex sleeve that you pull on to cover the aluminium box once the drive sled is populated and inserted into the box. I haven't come across a similar design, but it's simple enough and works without issue. I have my doubts about the robustness of the drive sled, it being all plastic, but time will tell.
A minor niggle is that the silicone sheath doesn't have a notch where it borders the USB socket, so that you can't fully insert the supplied USB cable without it being fouled by the sheath. It seems solid enough, but I'll be lifting the sheath so that the plug enters the socket completely just to be on the safe side.
EDITED 28th OCT: to remove mistaken complaint about the length of the USB cable. It's shorter than commonly supplied with hard drives, but sufficient for most purposes.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7