Profile for Alta lake > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
I Am Pilgrim
I Am Pilgrim
by Terry Hayes

4.0 out of 5 stars Came highly recommended and lived up to expectations, 7 April 2015
This review is from: I Am Pilgrim (Paperback)
Came highly recommended and lived up to expectations. Thought perhaps Terry Hayes, being a script writer, had a bit in mind that the locations and backdrops would be good in a film and recently saw that in fact it is going to be made into a film! Wonder who will play the lead role?

The Hare With Amber Eyes: A Hidden Inheritance
The Hare With Amber Eyes: A Hidden Inheritance
by Edmund de Waal

5.0 out of 5 stars I read this book some years ago and loved it so much have recommended it to many friends ..., 7 April 2015
I read this book some years ago and loved it so much have recommended it to many friends and this purchase was a birthday gift for a friend.

Berlin Noir ('March Violets', 'The Pale Criminal' and 'A German Requiem') (Penguin Crime/Mystery)
by Philip Kerr

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent series, 26 Aug. 2014
I don't really like detective stories.

But.....I have read most of Philip Kerr's Bernie Gunther books and they are really exceptional. I say again, exceptional. He writes very well indeed, one could almost be there in Berlin - and indeed elsewhere.

Top class stuff. Strongly recommended.

Act of War: A Thriller (Scot Harvath)
Act of War: A Thriller (Scot Harvath)
by Brad Thor

4.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff!, 19 Aug. 2014
Brad Thor - with a name like that he has to be a card-carrying gun-toting Republican who contributes to the Tea Party and is armed at all times!

But....he writes very well, the story flows and tho' it is - er - a bit far fetched, it all could happen - I suppose! The hero is a combination of James Bond and Jason Bourne, but it all works very well.

He writes a lot of good sense, and his political opinions are very sensible. In this silly "politically correct" world, he bucks the trend - keep it up! Be a good guy to have a few beers with!

He falls a bit into the "America the Beautiful/Greatest Peoples and Nation of all time" category - and like the Romans, the rest of the Planet are "lesser beings" - but all in all it was a good fun book and I enjoyed it. Like Tom Clancy, He obviously knows a lot of military/techie people, and his research is very good indeed.

It is the first Brad-book I have read, but it will not be the last!

Call It Like It Is: The Jonathan Kaplan Story
Call It Like It Is: The Jonathan Kaplan Story

2.0 out of 5 stars What a dreadful book, 12 July 2014
One of the most pitiful rugger books I have ever read. Even John Smit's sanctimonious rubbish was superior.

Kaplan - tho' a very good referee - comes across as a guy with a big chip - two chips in fact. He seems to place himself above the players even. "I looked over the rugby field like an eagle searching for prey" and other such exaggerated nonsense.

He brags about his "success with women" - poor them!! - and his "drinking prowess". And his drinking till the wee hours and then reffing a game. Very unprofessional.

It is badly written by the ghost writer and poorly edited. The only good parts are the conclusion, and his recommendation(s): e.g. two refs on the pitch etc. - sensible and practical.

All in all he is not a chap I'd want to be mates with! Irritating rubbish.

Clash Of Empires
Clash Of Empires
by Sam Barone

5.0 out of 5 stars Sam Barone's best yet, 4 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Clash Of Empires (Paperback)
Just finished two of Sam's latest Crackers - "Battle for Empire" and "Clash of Empires". The latter - IMHO - is his best yet. Both are tremendous books and highly recommended. Best to read the entire series from Book I as they just get better and better.

Sam, please don't kill off Eskkar - or his son Sargon just yet - we want lots more!

Rise of Augustus-Marching With Caesar: 5
Rise of Augustus-Marching With Caesar: 5
by R. W. Peake

5.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous series, 15 Aug. 2013
OK, listen up troops.

This - sadly - is the penultimate book in an absolutely superb series.

By the power invested in me by the Divine Julius, I hereby award ex-Marine Peake a Triumph. I also decree all the books are mandatory reading for every aspiring military man - West Point, Sandhurst - and even Annapolis, Dartmouth, Cranwell and Colorado Springs. And last - but not least - Parris Island/Quantico etc. They are also good stuff for CEOs and the like. Politicians should also study them to learn how vital loyalty, trust and comradeship are in the world.

(Semi) tongue-in-cheek aside, the "character studies" continue to be as good as ever. The action is gripping. The research is tops. The prose flows.

My last decree is that all of you buy the entire series, go on a hol to say Hawaii or a Mediterranean beach (or stay at home even!) and get reading - with a few gin & tonics nearby for added enjoyment.

I loved every book in the series and Mr. Peake's final command from (Legate) me is to get cracking with lots more yarns in the same vein.

City of Fortune: How Venice Ruled the Seas
City of Fortune: How Venice Ruled the Seas
by Roger Crowley

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly superb book, 25 July 2013
I hesitate to call it a book - it is a "Work". The Wall Street Journal describes it as "Wordsworthian". I agree. Brilliantly researched (the mind boggles at the depths Mr Crowley has gone to) and written; his use of the English language is exemplary. The book goes along with fascinating anecdotes - and then - Bang! The thrills and excitement of the period's history are laid bare. And with much subtle and clever humour too.

I was entranced - I could have been there!

I would liken his prose to that of the great Sir Max Hastings - this is a Must Read for anyone, history buffs first and foremost of course. My only complaint was that I came to the end too soon, as I could not put it down.

Armada
Armada
by John Stack

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 23 July 2013
This review is from: Armada (Paperback)
I very much enjoyed all of John Stack's "Masters of the Sea" books and would recommend them unhesitatingly. Ripping yarns with a good basis of factual history. So I settled down to read this one with much anticipation - but as I turned the pages severe anti-climax set in. Far too much "religion", much of the "action" hardly credible - tho' his research on the Armada is very good (the epilogue was the best part of the book I thought).

On the plus side he obviously knows a lot about sailing ships. But that can be too much of a good thing, and after a while it becomes tedious.

2.5 stars, no more.

Legionary
Legionary
by Gordon Doherty

1.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable rubbish, 3 April 2013
This review is from: Legionary (Paperback)
This load of rubbish is really one of the very worst books I've read in years. Far-fetched nonsense, poorly written with bad grammar, no credence whatsoever - I could go on and on but it'd be a waste.

Suffice it to say the author might do better writing comic book scripts for ten year old kids.

Page: 1 | 2