Profile for Ms. V. Loader > Reviews

Content by Ms. V. Loader

Ms. V. Loader "VickiMartine" (Sandhurst, Berkshire, UK)

Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots
Food Photography: From Snapshots to Great Shots
by Nicole S. Young

5.0 out of 5 stars A good entry level book, 4 Dec 2011
I did my first assignment for TAOP on food; and I was really flying by the seat of my pants, never having done anything like that before! I did a fair amount of reading and watching of online videos; and it was the perfect excuse to buy a number of foodie magazines; but I still did not know what I was doing. If only I had had this book before I started, but I don't think it was published then!

The dedication in the book reads, "To foodies, food bloggers, home cooks, and chefs...and to anyone who craves a delicious meal, chases beauty, and wants to make people hungry with their photographs". And it pretty much hits the spot! Particularly found the chapters on lighting; styling & props; framing & composition; and behind the scenes useful. The little sections entitled 'poring over the picture' were also very useful. The lighting set-ups are not too complicated; and in many instances she is using only reflectors, foam-core boards and natural daylight.
It's aimed at just the right level for a newbie foodie; and also has info on fundamentals, equipment and post-processing. There is very little pseudo-food being photographed which I found in other books--you know--mashed potato for ice-cream and the like.

Le Creuset Cast Iron Oval Casserole, 25 cm - Satin Black
Le Creuset Cast Iron Oval Casserole, 25 cm - Satin Black

5.0 out of 5 stars My Best Pot Ever!, 30 Jan 2008
I love it! I cook on the stove top, throw it in the oven, serve from it at the table and pop it in the dishwasher. It cooks beautifully and comes up pristine from the dishwasher every time. I've cooked loads in my time - used loads of ranges - and I'm a complete convert!! Money well invested!