ARRAY(0xb3a3dd74)

Profile for Bobby Ferguson > Reviews

Content by Bobby Ferguson

Bobby Ferguson (LA, USA)

Page: 1 | 2
House Of God (Black Swan)
House Of God (Black Swan)
by Samuel Shem
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Very entertaining and educative, 22 Feb 2014
A very realistic portrayal of the time of an intern going through the period of residency. Samuel Shem did a good job with the narrative in "The House of God", vividly portraying the difficulties a young fellow aspiring to become a trained doctor goes through every day in the hospital. The book was recommended to me along with Janvier Chando's "The Grandmothers" and Sanjay Gupta's "Monday Morning". Very entertaining and educative.

Fear Nothing
Fear Nothing
by Lisa Gardner
Price: 11.98

5.0 out of 5 stars A page-turner, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Fear Nothing (Hardcover)
I take a fancy for stories that catch my breath. Lisa Gardner's Fear Nothing qualifies as one of them. She is very descriptive and engaging and her plot is clever and and well laid out. I also like the way she developed her characters, which all add up to me this story the bestseller that it is. Fear Nothing fulfills its page-turner purpose like Lone Survivor: The Incredible True Story of Navy SEALs Under Siege, Triple Agent, Double Cross, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (Millennium Trilogy Book 1). I have my sights for other Lisa Gardner stories.

The Secret Life of Bees
The Secret Life of Bees
by Sue Monk Kidd
Price: 6.29

5.0 out of 5 stars A touching story, 8 Jan 2014
I have made it a point of reading inspirational books which can help me have a positive outlook to life. Though it reads like a non-fictional memoir, The Secret Life of Bees even though it is fictitious, has been tremendously helpful to me as an inspirational book. It is brilliantly written with amazing details and beautiful settings. It showed the unique creativity of the author. This hard to put down book, is sure to capture your heart with its imagery.

Sue Monk Kidd does a brilliant job of laying out a storyline that is not only believable, but is interesting as well. I could not put this book down. Lily Owens will capture your heart. Despite the abuse from the hands of her father T. Ray, she turned out to be a survivor. Sharing her destiny with the beekeeping sisters, and their Black Madonna honey, she finally attains some emotional security in her life. May, one of the sisters is someone who inspires. This is a novel for young adults and adults, because at 14, Lily fights with the hazy memory of her dead mother whom she misses and longs for in rural South Carolina of 1964, where racial violence is inescapable. She finds solace in her surrogate mother - the family's black servant, Rosaleen, who later becomes a victim of racial hatred. It moved on to the escape of Lily and Rosaleen, the search for the identity of Lily's mother's identity and the quest for a sense of belonging in her life This journey led Lily and Rosaleen into the lives of three strange but alluring beekeepers who set Lily who helped Lily to grow up and be at peace with her family and its history.

The story is told through Lily's eyes, mouth, mind and heart, and as such it is deep, hilarious and inspiring. When we read about the beehive and honey-making, we get the sense that Lily has a deep desire for nurturance, owing to the absence of a mother in her life. The Secret Life of Bees will certainly strike a chord with any family. It follows stories like The Usurper: and Other Stories, tales of Burning Love; that I enjoyed, in the sense that they go to add to this rich theme.

Monday Mornings
Monday Mornings
by Sanjay Gupta MD
Price: 11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A good one, 8 Jan 2014
This review is from: Monday Mornings (Paperback)
Sanjay Gupta's Monday Mornings: A Novel was suggested to me by my friend who is also in the medical field. I trusted his judgment after reading Janvier Chando's The Grandmothers:and Other Stories, which he suggested to me last month. Gupta wrote a very revealing and insightful book here; and he did a great job writing it in a manner that most readers will understand. The characters are real and exceptional. Also, the book is very pleausrable to read. I ended up learning a great deal and appreciate doctors even more.

Brown Dog: Novellas
Brown Dog: Novellas
Price: 14.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant writing, 1 Jan 2014
I enjoyed much of the book with so many insightful lessons and the simple and poetic flow of the narration and dialogue. Jim Harrison's style, compactness of his stories and intelligence in his writing, especially in this book makes him a distinguished writer and author. Enjoy stories written in this style such as Chekhov's Ward No. 6 and Other Stories, and Chando's The Usurper: and Other Stories. I am waiting for more of Jim Harrison's stories.

Furious Cool
Furious Cool
by David Henry
Price: 15.66

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting experience, 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: Furious Cool (Hardcover)
Using different parameters on what stuff great comedians or entertainers are made of, Richard Pryor comes out as my best, most cryptic and most natural comedian of them all. The author did a good job of bringing out his best and his worst, his creative ingenuity and his self-destructive side, as well as so many of the inner contradictions that haunt variously gifted people. Identifying traits or characters of him in other people in real life or in fiction helped me to understand him better. Like in some of the characters in The Usurper: and Other Stories, in Furious Cool: Richard Pryor and the World That Made Him, he lived his life obeying his instincts, never reining in his impulses and being himself, whatever that is, at a given time.

s.
s.
by J.J. Abrams
Price: 19.50

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting experience, 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: s. (Hardcover)
S. turned out to be a very interesting and entertaining book, exhibiting creativity at its best with a peculiar concept. The engaging nature of the storytelling reminded me of Janvier Chando's The Usurper: and Other Stories. Complex though S is, it is a fun read and brings story telling to a whole new level.

Rustication: A Novel
Rustication: A Novel
by Charles Palliser
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful storytelling, 12 Nov 2013
This review is from: Rustication: A Novel (Paperback)
Charles Palliser's Rustication: A Novel is not one of our usual type of books, but it is a powerful story. Richard fulfills most of the characteristics of a malingerer and a daydreamer intoxicated as he mostly was, but his journey to reality is similar to ours through life as we mature and become responsible. The country life is vividly described in this story that is rich, imaginative with deep psychological insights. This is a theme I find fascinating after having been introduced to it by a friend in school who directed me to read The Usurper: and Other Stories. Overall, I hardly have any criticism of this story. Charles Palliser stood out here as a wonderful storyteller.

Bobcat & Other Stories
Bobcat & Other Stories
by Rebecca Lee
Price: 8.98

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling collection, 24 Jun 2013
This review is from: Bobcat & Other Stories (Paperback)
Rebecca Lee's Bobcat & Other Stories is a very captivating collection. It is full of rich and vivid characters, smooth-flowing with excellent narratives, and it is very deep and insightful. She is an amazing writer.Bobcat & Other Stories , The Shades of Fire, Twist in the Tale are some of the short stories I enjoyed recently.

Black Dahlia & White Rose: Stories
Black Dahlia & White Rose: Stories
by Joyce Carol Oates
Price: 14.62

5.0 out of 5 stars Well written, 13 Sep 2012
Black Dahlia & White Rose: Stories is an intriguing collection that not only tells stories, but make us ponder them and hold our breaths as we turn every page. Boundaries are made invisible, ideas are tested, stereotypes are rendered meaningless and the wideness of man's soul is revealed. A friend suggested I read this story and The Sweetest Madness; and henceforth, I will start taking his choices seriously, especially of short stories.

Page: 1 | 2