Profile for just Shiona > Reviews

Content by just Shiona

just Shiona "Shiona" (Glasgow, Scotland)

Trauma and Recovery: From Domestic Abuse to Political Terror
Trauma and Recovery: From Domestic Abuse to Political Terror
by Judith Lewis Herman

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally - and I said this around 10 years ago but the book went out of publication..., 12 Dec 2006
I was given this book to read by a therapist, who specialised in overcoming childhood sexual and emotional abuse. She knew (and was and is, one of the top people in the UK) that one of my 'coping mechanisms' was to read around and understand the topic more fully. I never rely upon just one person's opinion or analysis of a situation, including my own, and have benefitted from the objective view of others to enable me to come to an informed understanding.

This book was one of the very few, and certainly one of the most beneficial, in terms of the objective view, which helped me gain an enormous amount of help with my own subjective view, in that it helped me realise this (and no, I wasn't off me trolley! lol) was actually what I was experiencing. More importantly, at the time and since, has helped me talk to professionals in such a manner, that I can sound rational (after many, many years of being told I should have this put behind me and just get on with things...) and intelligently informed. What is very rewarding for me (sometimes, particularly when I have felt quite drained by the whole thing, I feel like I've been one of the original ones beating the path through), is that finally this can been recognised as being genuine, that complex, or chronic PTSD does actually exist.

Read this book, be informed and hang on to what you know. There are many professionals who still have not quite got there yet. This book was the first 'medical' and 'professional' book that gave me that knowledge, that what I was experiencing, was not in my imagination.

I cannot recommend this one highly enough for those who are ready to read it - and even to those who think they might not be. And many thanks to Sue, who gave me the opportunity to read it for the first time.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 20, 2009 3:13 PM BST