Profile for Susan Handley > Reviews

Susan Handley (London)

Merrell Mimix Haze, Women's Ballet Flats, J21906, Brown (Brown Sugar), 6 UK
Merrell Mimix Haze, Women's Ballet Flats, J21906, Brown (Brown Sugar), 6 UK

5.0 out of 5 stars like a glove, 25 April 2015
i love Merrell shoes and this pair is light as a feather and soft so I can wear them bare footed.

All The Devils Are Here: Unmasking the Men Who Bankrupted the World
All The Devils Are Here: Unmasking the Men Who Bankrupted the World

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 23 Dec. 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and whilst I have not unlike some reviewers read this non stop, I could not waited to get back to it. I have even bored a friend at dinner about it. And she is an archaeologist.

This is a story of the people behind the subprime mortgage crash, and it builds up by discussing how some of the players got involved in the market and manipulated it and profited by it or lost everything. Few of those involved were innocent, whether by being complicit in producing products that they knew would be dangerous or "toxic" as one package was called, or because they were too greedy to investigate what they were buying. From the regulators, the rating agencies, the GSE (government sponsored enterprises), to the banks, mortgage companies even to the borrowers, everyone let greed hurtle them towards disaster.

Some have commented on how difficult it is to read. Yes this is not a quick read but it is fascinating. I have an accounting background but not in banking or treasury and sometimes I could not remember the detail behind a CDO or a Credit Default Swap but the narrative swept me along regardless. Here is tale of greed encouraging men and women to exploit a system were regulation either could not keep up or was not there at all, as new products were created and/or political machinations stopped the few regulators who tried from controlling the monster.

There are also complaints that this is solely concentrated on the US. Perhaps the title as it refers to the men who bankrupted the world is misleading. I for one would have liked mention of the other collapses But I also see it as a strength that the area focused on just the US. If there was too wide a focus then some of the pace of the book might have been lost. And after all this was a book written by Americans for Americans.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2013 9:40 PM GMT

Rocket Dog Women's Orient Decorative
Rocket Dog Women's Orient Decorative

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, 8 Sept. 2012
These shoes are fun and as comfortable as you can expect from heels. Fit is good and true to size. I love the the print. Great to wear with plain colours.

Black Moon
Black Moon

4.0 out of 5 stars Bear with the trilogy, 26 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Black Moon (Kindle Edition)
This is the first of a trilogy and really only wetted my appetite - short but sweet. Fortunately I had already downloaded the other 2 (a fourth - Harvest Moon is apparently set in the same world but I have not started that yet) so was able to start the next book Amber Moon straight away. I am glad I borne with it. This is quick read but enjoyable. I too will look for other works by this author. A world of many land and creatures bringing many different beings; werewolves, werecats, elves, witches and dragons are amongst some of these species. Its free and if you like fantasy and don't mind explicit sex then enjoy.

Spell Bound: Number 12 in series (Women of the Otherworld)
Spell Bound: Number 12 in series (Women of the Otherworld)

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed my mind on Savannah, 25 Aug. 2011
Like many of the other reviewers I too had found Savannah hard to love, I was going to say like but I like all of Kelley Armstrong's lead characters albeit sometimes it takes time to love them. In this book I finally understood and grew to love Savannah. Here she has to rely on herself with no magic; it also explains some of her previous behaviour with her worry about abandonment because she lost both her mother and father. She also lacks self belief, by which I mean that she does not believe she can be loved for herself and not her special powers. This is a true growing up book for Savannah.

It has been nice to see the love story with Savannah and Adam also develop slowly, I was frustrated reading `Waking the Witch' as it seemed there was no spark on Adam's side of the couple. It seems she needed to mature before he could see her in a romantic light.

It was great to have so many of the previous stories brought together. It was nice to have so many characters with a cameo part and explanations of the darker forces and mysteries that have been running throughout the series. It will be fascinating to see how it all pulls together in the next book.

Ice
Ice
by Linda Howard

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet but short, 18 Nov. 2009
This review is from: Ice (Paperback)
I love Linda Howard's books and this was no exception. My only complaint was it was too short and took me less than a day to read and that was on my 45 minute train journeys to and from work and an hour at lunch.

I liked that Lolly and Gabe had to change their preconceptions about each other. They had been at school together but he thought her stuck up and snobby whilst she was shy and had a crush on him, so was rude to hide her feelings. Also it was good have a female protagonist who was neither useless nor too over burdened with skills. Lolly used her common sense to get out of trouble but leant on Gabe when he rescued her. However she did not sit back when he need help and came to his rescue on a couple of occasions. The scenes in the ice forest were good and the sense of terror whether from the Meths addicts who invaded Lolly's home or from falling trees was well written.

I particularly liked that at the end their relationship is just starting, in so many books the couple are getting married after knowing each other for a week. As the time period in this book was only hours that would have been unrealistic and fortunately was acknowledged.

Fire and Ice
Fire and Ice
by Julie Garwood

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best, 6 Oct. 2009
This review is from: Fire and Ice (Hardcover)
I enjoyed this story of Sophie and Jack, but it was not as good as many of Julie Garwood's previous books in this series. I loved the rest of them including The Murder List in which book Sophie is introduced as a minor character. And yes I would like Cordie's story too some time.

I did enjoy the character of Sophie, I liked how she lived her life whilst regretted the things she could no longer afford as she would not use her father's money, and I liked Jack, the FBI partner of her best friend's husband; he was delicious. The newspaper office scenes where she worked were very funny as was her interview with the future murder victim. However I found the development of the love story did not really work for me as Jack did not seem to understand quite what Sophie has been thorough because of her father, who is a well know yet beloved crook, in the line of Robin Hood. Somehow the interlude in Alaska and why Jack is told to go with her seemed far fetched. It would have been nice to have had a scene at the time when Jack and her father met.

I still think Julie Garwood writes a good romantic suspense story.