Profile for Clare > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
A Book for Her
A Book for Her
by Bridget Christie

5.0 out of 5 stars But I did buy copies for my best friends when I couldn't afford to (it would have ..., 8 May 2016
This review is from: A Book for Her (Paperback)
I won't do this book justice in a review because of my appalling memory (I read the book a few months ago and Amazon have only just got round to prodding me for a review). But I did buy copies for my best friends when I couldn't afford to (it would have been mean of me to keep this book from people I love and it's not a book they would necessarily choose to buy). Those friends are educated, intelligent and sensitive women, with a very good sense of humour. Like Christie. But Christie has an ability few have: of writing important, relevant (to all women - and men), thought-provoking and hilarious prose. She didn't gain accolades for her writing ability at school and didn't attend a university and I'm glad to be metaphorically hitting-myself-upside-my-head for such a glib remark. Neither did I, but I can write. But nowhere near this lady's ability. She writes to her reader honestly. We learn personal stuff an author is brave to commit to print. As you read you feel like you are getting to know her and it is obvious that she is holding little back. If her experiences can positively inform another then they are written for us to read.. She (thankfully) gives us a copy of a few of her stand-up routine edits. I laughed and loved my way through the book. Christie is honest, about her failures as well as her triumphs in stand-up. It was a brave course for her to take (stand up) and stick with, as it usually is for women. But this is no 'triumph over adversity' book. It's so far past that idea that it pains me to even write those words. It's a brave, insightful, informative, warm, brilliantly written and put-together, very very funny, book. If you are at all interested, just buy it. You won't be disappointed (and will probably be buying it for friends).

Rescue Me: My Life with the Battersea Dogs
Rescue Me: My Life with the Battersea Dogs
by Melissa Wareham

1.0 out of 5 stars Read this book if you are thinking of getting a dog.., 30 April 2015
This book is an excellent introduction to understanding dog behaviour. I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and have since bought three more copies to distribute to friends and family; pet owners and a prospective dog owner. I honestly think that anyone contemplating dog ownership should read this book first... The author tells of her experience as a kennel maid and rehomer. The historical references resonate with me because the author is the same age as me. But this book is about dogs and Battersea and how the Battersea community helps so many dogs and cats. The staff are all dedicated animal lovers and it's lovely to hear about their work and individual cases, but sometimes sad when humans don't do the right thing by animals who need to rely on them. Melissa is no softie. She learned the tough way how cruel us humans can be. I can't recommend this book enough, to any of us, prospective pet owners or otherwise. The author teaches us so much re dog behaviour - and people behaviour - whilst she got her hands dirty and looked after her loved canine charges, and dealt with prospective owners. This book is a life lesson to any of us. Somehow the author makes us feel empathy and makes us feel alive as we relive, through her words, the stories of the hounds who needed help to get rehomed. I cried (I don't do that) at Melissa's reporting of a Battersea dog show. 'Trilby dog' will stay with me forever.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 8, 2016 12:59 PM GMT

Samurai
Samurai

5.0 out of 5 stars Diverse music styles expertly arranged., 8 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Samurai (Audio CD)
The track Samurai is worth the album price alone. I had that track on a compilation, loved it and so looked for back catalogue stuff. The album is diverse, from electronica to class classic jazz. I've played it many many times and love it. I'd like to hear more of Jazztronik's output. The track Samurai is ten minutes long and is my favourite track of all time. It's just perfection.

First Protocol: Incognito Guitars
First Protocol: Incognito Guitars
Offered by Fulfillment Express

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 13 May 2013
I had coveted this album for a long time and eventually treated myself. I should have bought one of the more recent Incognito albums - I always love their stuff. The musicianship here is, of course, excellent, but there is no soul. Annoying electro-beats to improvise over didn't help me to warm to this album either. I've listened to it many times but have not come to like it. Disappointing. I love Incognito. What a shame.

Ancol Acticat Fat Boy Scratch Post 70cm
Ancol Acticat Fat Boy Scratch Post 70cm

5.0 out of 5 stars A proper Tom sized scratchpost!, 6 Feb. 2013
This really is a FAT scratchpost. But it's exactly what's needed for busy cats. They like to jump on, hug and claw up things, so this is a good size and shape. It's heavy and robust so won't be knocked over and will last for years. It's not ugly either. My cat used it quickly. She still prefers swinging from my floor standing speakers, but she can have a proper claw on the scratchpost to keep her claws in good condition. Delivery is very fast and the packaging is good; it comes via Parcelforce and you need to sign for it. Impressive since it's delivered free of charge. It's a bit awkward for one person to screw the base on; much easier if there are 2 of you. I'd buy from this seller again without question.

Cat Catcher - Mouse and Wand Cat Toy: From the maker of Da Bird
Cat Catcher - Mouse and Wand Cat Toy: From the maker of Da Bird
Offered by Best Pets

5.0 out of 5 stars the hype is true, 9 Jan. 2013
I was not hopeful when this toy arrived. It's very compact - much smaller than I'd imagined. But my cat locked on to it immediately and I do have to put it in a cupboard to hide it after playtime. I resort to pretending the mouse is dead in order to get kitty to let it go. I don't know what the secret is, but my cat loves it and refuses to play with me unless this toy is involved. It's very robust for its size. The wire on mine has got stuck but never breaks, and the mouse has been chewed endlessly but does not get damaged. Highly recommended.

Catit Tiger Design Patterned Scratching Board with Catnip, Lounge
Catit Tiger Design Patterned Scratching Board with Catnip, Lounge

4.0 out of 5 stars It works.., 25 Nov. 2012
I was a bit disappointed to receive what is essentially a lump of corrugated cardboard, but my kitten went straight to it and knew what it was for. When she is excited, when I get home, she runs straight to her scratchpad for a session. i don't know if the catnip helped. I sprinkled some on when it arrived but have not done so since (do kittens need any more stimulation?!) and she uses it, as prescribed, daily. So, it might be made of cheap materials, but kitty seems to love it.

A Street Cat Named Bob: How one man and his cat found hope on the streets
A Street Cat Named Bob: How one man and his cat found hope on the streets
by James Bowen

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring. If you like cats..., 13 Nov. 2012
This isn't a brilliantly written book. But that doesn't matter a jot. The story is engaging, surprising and enjoyable. It tells of the benefits of being adopted by an intelligent cat. Bob is a special cat. His new owner is quick to point out his own faults. I brushed over that. We all make big (and small) mistakes. He made a good decision when he allowed Bob into his home. Bob intuits his new owner's feelings. Cats are remarkable in that respect. Cats choose who they want to be with and Bob chooses the author - who quickly grows to love Bob. The book is a lovely story that illustrates our affinity with cats, in the wider sense, but mostly tells a remarkable and engaging tale about a human/cat relationship that will amaze. Bob really is a special cat, and his adoptive owner is erudite in telling their story.

Toy Crab with Beads with Catnip, Cat Toy, 10 cm
Toy Crab with Beads with Catnip, Cat Toy, 10 cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Kitty attention-grabber, 13 Nov. 2012
I ordered this for my kitten because it had beads. I was hoping she'd chew on the toy's beads instead of the buttons on my tops. She does - chew on the beads. And plays with the crab when she is in the mood. It's a perfect size for a kitten. She can play with it or carry it around if she wants to. She plays with it on a daily basis and loves gnawing at the beads. She might play with it more than I can describe because I am away for 9 hours of the day. I do know that the crab is always in another place when I get home, so she must have been playing with it. I think the addition of catnip helps kitty to lock onto it. But, in my brief experience, catnip toys lose their potency very quickly. Overall, I would recommend this toy. It's a perfect size and the beads provide gnawing exercise. My kitten loves it.

Redemption Days (Radio Edit) [feat. Ghostface Killah]
Redemption Days (Radio Edit) [feat. Ghostface Killah]

5.0 out of 5 stars listen to this man.., 25 Jun. 2012
Seriously talented musician, vocalist and songwriter. I first saw him on Jools Holland's show where his beautiful voice was drowned. I found him on YouTube. Catch his version of (I think, JayZ's) Jesus Walks, performed in a church. Another track that made me cry was him on the steps of a famous London auditorium and I've failed to find it since. He is young yet knows so much about life. His music portrays that and is hypnotising. I'm gutted that I have lost that link to his acoustic version on the steps of.... it was brilliant. Hopefully my memory will kick in.. My advice to anyone who appreciates good music and has a good heart: listen to this young man. He will make you cry.

Page: 1 | 2