Profile for S. M. OLeary > Reviews

Content by S. M. OLeary

S. M. OLeary "live free or die" (Drogheda, Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2
Complete Serger Handbook (A Sterling/Sewing Information Resources book)
Complete Serger Handbook (A Sterling/Sewing Information Resources book)
by Chris James

4.0 out of 5 stars This is one of two I purchased., 10 Sept. 2013
The other one was Sewing with Sergers: the Complete Handbook for overlock Sewing. I don't have the author's name to hand. This one is more polished in it's presentation but, seems to have more text and when one has less time to read large blocks of text, I found this daunting. The other book has more short sentences, helpful drawings etc. I'm sorry I don't have the author...So, this book is fine, but, the other one more useful albeit dated in project ideas etc.

Sewing with Sergers: The Complete Handbook for Overlock Sewing (Serging . . . from Basics to Creative Possibilities)
by Gail Brown

4.0 out of 5 stars This is one of two books I invested in, 10 Sept. 2013
The other is called The Complete Serger Handbook by Chris James. Both books look like they will be useful in the long run. This one is more rustic in it's approach with it's drawings and font etc but, it has very practical bits of information that lead from one piece to the next plus various projects to try at the end. I have yet to delve into all it has to offer.

Write A Children's Picture Book
Write A Children's Picture Book
by Andrea Shavick

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful, 10 Sept. 2013
Resource. It came highly recommended from an instructor at the Irish Writer's Centre. It has clearly laid out topics and helpful hints and the information is easily accessible. I definitely recommend it. Plus, don't you just love "look inside"? Really helps give an idea of what you're getting before you get it!

Friends with God
Friends with God
by Catherine Marshall

4.0 out of 5 stars It's not the one I was looking for..., 10 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Friends with God (Paperback)
But, it has some short stories and poems in it that could prove to be useful for a project I'm doing. However, some of them are very flowery which is not what Christianity is about, in my opinion. Then again, it really is meant for children.

Simplicity Sewing Pattern 3833 H5 Miss/ Miss Petite Dresses
Simplicity Sewing Pattern 3833 H5 Miss/ Miss Petite Dresses

3.0 out of 5 stars I'm not a seamstress, 10 Sept. 2013
So, my review is based on that. It's hard to buy patterns over the internet and even harder to make them! But, I will try when the winter sets in. Too bright in the evenings for that now. Product was as described and arrived on time. Thank you.

What We Talk About When We Talk About Love (Vintage Classics)
What We Talk About When We Talk About Love (Vintage Classics)
by Raymond Carver

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my favorite author, 11 April 2011
That's all that needs to be said. I actually read some of his poetry recently and found it to be far more engaging than his short stories. Just not my style.

Playing with Books: Upcycling, Deconstructing and Reimagining the Book
Playing with Books: Upcycling, Deconstructing and Reimagining the Book
by Jason Thompson
Edition: Flexibound

5.0 out of 5 stars FASCINATING, 11 April 2011
I have yet to do any of the projects in this book but am excited to! The format looks user friendly, as do the instructions and the ideas! wow! Lovely.

Ancient Legends, Mystic Charms, and Superstitions of Ireland (Volume 1)
Ancient Legends, Mystic Charms, and Superstitions of Ireland (Volume 1)
by Lady Wilde

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunate, 11 April 2011
I ended up binning this book. Which I NEVER do with books. It had too much occultic overtones in it--like potions and charms etc. I thought it was going to be more along the lines of a dictionary of superstitions and some faery tales. It is also written in laborious english.

Signspotting 2: No. 2 (Lonely Planet Pictorial)
Signspotting 2: No. 2 (Lonely Planet Pictorial)
by Doug Lansky

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 11 April 2011
I ordered this for my husband because he had seen version 1 at his sister's house and I wanted to get another version to hopefully expand the humour quotient. Unfortunately, the bathroom and sexual humour is far too extensive in this one for us to feel comfortable leaving it around for others to peruse. Be forewarned.

The Crabby Cook
The Crabby Cook
by Jessica Harper

5.0 out of 5 stars Not biased, 11 April 2011
This review is from: The Crabby Cook (Paperback)
This really is a well crafted memoir/cookbook. Food is so central to our lives and contributes to making us, us. This is illustrated through the stories and it is interesting to reflect on how every family has their own recipes which may be peculiar to some or just a morphed recipe of someone else's...which interconnects us all in some way...Anyway, the author has included humour which makes her not seem as crabby as she proposes and will inspire those who read it and cook with it to have a different view of this daily task of food preparation.

Page: 1 | 2