Profile for JOHN MICHAEL GOODGER > Reviews

Content by JOHN MICHAEL G...

JOHN MICHAEL GOODGER (WIGAN, LANCASHIRE United Kingdom)

Washable Bed Protector/Pad without Tucks - Pack of 2
Washable Bed Protector/Pad without Tucks - Pack of 2
Offered by Coastal Linen Supplies Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 29 May 2016
extremely good, it seems...

Writers' and Artists' Yearbook 2016
Writers' and Artists' Yearbook 2016
by Alysoun Owen

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 April 2016
very good indeed

Eallc High Premium Wireless Bluetooth Keyboard for Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2nd Gen Tablet 2014 Edition P600 P601 (2014/Black Keyboard Case)

1.0 out of 5 stars the trouble for me was that I disliked the actual keys, 5 Nov. 2014
It connected all right, the trouble for me was that I disliked the actual keys, they were all covered in a thin sheet of rubber, not separated as is normally the case, so I found typing difficult. I returned the item immediately, ordered another keyboard which had a perfect set of keys - except it wouldn't connect, only to an iPad, contrary to the advertised description!

Live at the Royal Albert Hall [DVD] [2012]
Live at the Royal Albert Hall [DVD] [2012]
Dvd ~ Valentina Lisitsa

2.0 out of 5 stars The pianist and playing is wonderful, the DVD direction is most definitely not!, 20 Feb. 2014
Musical philistine!

The Director (Mathew Woodward) of the Valentina Lisitsa DVD released by Decca is clearly more interested in demonstrating his camera teams' expertise than in sympathising with the music and its playing by this very fine artist. Thus we are subjected to views of the player from all the angles his cameras were positioned at, including those from the back of the auditorium from the high level zooming one that hangs over the audience, all very clever Mr Woodward, but without any relevance to the music being played, just there to "impress" those raised on the "Top of the Pops" ethos, who think that tricky camera work/editing is as important as the music/performance itself - well, you clever dicks, it isn't! It's distracting and irritating, as bad as unending background music in films, silly and pointless.
People like you ought to know something about classical music before being allowed to record it, i.e., it doesn't need this sort of insensitive pop-technique to celebrate it, rather it needs someone who knows how best to show off the performer and his/her artistry, such as where and when to show the hands, reveal the most telling facial expression, show the enraptured audience, and so on. Anything less than this doesn't qualify you to be a director of such events - and incidentally, it doesn't say very much for the artistic taste of those who employed you!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 2, 2014 9:35 AM GMT

Extreme Sail
Extreme Sail
by Oliver Dewar

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware, Dame Ellen MacArthur only wrote the Foreword!, 8 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Extreme Sail (Hardcover)
Hm, I should have read the details more carefully before I bought it because I was disappointed to find that the book was something other than I expected it to be, namely a collection of photographs, some stunning of course, of boat racing in general. Still, it was 'interesting' (as they say)...

A Dip in the Ocean: Rowing Solo Across the Indian
A Dip in the Ocean: Rowing Solo Across the Indian
by Sarah Outen

5.0 out of 5 stars Sarah Outen is a rarity to have done such an amazing thing., 8 Nov. 2013
There's something about her and the way she writes so well about her experiences of crossing the Indian Ocean on her own that puts most of us into the 'nondescript' class, both as adventurers and writers; I mean, how come anyone so young can be so good in both these respects is beyond me...so all I can do is to be uplifted by her courage and determination to undertake this crazy, punishing, and dangerous thing - and then write about it almost faultlessly (I saw only 4 tiny mistakes in the whole book - and they were probably the fault of the sub-editor or typesetter!). Hm, read it for what it is, a very fine and honest account by a brave young lady, and I'll be surprised if you don't agree.

Rowing the Atlantic
Rowing the Atlantic
by Roz Savage

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible girl, who writes incredibly well too!, 8 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Rowing the Atlantic (Paperback)
One of the best books I have ever read on any subject (and I'm not into rowing anything anywhere!). This girl is amazing, and so honest about her doubts, fears, and feelings about this rowing race. Even my 104 year old Mother read it and thought it was fantastic, both as a story and as a piece of writing: Ms Savage, you are incredible - and an inspiration to any youngster.

National Geographic: Super Subs [DVD]
National Geographic: Super Subs [DVD]

2.0 out of 5 stars Super Subs DVD, 18 Jun. 2012
It may be my age but I found that the background music too loud for the commentary, ie, the "signal to noise" ratio was an unsatisfactory balance. Worse still, it's impossible to view the commentary in subtitles because it doesn't exist. I stopped watching after a few minutes because, though I am hugely in awe of submarines and what their crews have to do, this DVD was a hopeless account of that. Did it get better? I don't know, I didn't wait to find out. Anyway, in general, why oh why do film editors/directors have to swamp their images with sound almost all the time? When I was making films 40 years ago I took great care never to mess up the images and commentary by loud and/or unsuitable music or FX, so was I wrong? You'd do much better reading a book on subs than watching this DVD! Worse still, I can't return it to the producers as "not fit for purpose" because it is unsealed, so I'm stuck with a useless product.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 1, 2015 1:15 PM BST

Elvira Madigan [1967] [DVD]
Elvira Madigan [1967] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Pia Degermark

4.0 out of 5 stars Elvira Madigan, 23 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Elvira Madigan [1967] [DVD] (DVD)
I vaguely remember that the film I saw nearly 40 years ago ended with the music from the Mozart Piano Concerto playing over the final scene, not the choral work on the present DVD, which, though OK, wasn't as effective emotionally. Also, the use of the same Mozart (music) from time to time was not as well organised as it should have been (it cuts off too abruptly too often as scenes change, as does some other stuff) to be considered "good editing". Still, the film is worth watching, still beautifully shot when it had to be, and still a very moving tale, though a sad one. As for the actress Pia Degermark, I too fell in love with her immediately!