Profile for Tar McAdam > Reviews

Content by Tar McAdam

Tar McAdam (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Infiniti A4 Blank White CD Label (100)
Infiniti A4 Blank White CD Label (100)

5.0 out of 5 stars Infiniti A4 Blank A4 CD Laabels, 24 Jun. 2014
I used to store my DVD's and CD's in those very thin jewel cases with a slip of paper stating what the contents were. Now I have a large growing collection of home movies that look very professional in proper 14mm DVD cases (by Amaray). There is a certain amount of skill required to place the labels onto the recorded discs but with the addition of the 'exPressit' programme and a CD/DVD labelling kit, this is reduced to a minimum. I have found that after application of the label to the disc, that the use of a small wallpaper roller to press it all down and eliminate any air bubbles is a good idea. There is a difference between the matt labels, which these are, and the glossy labels that I did try once for the shiny effect, in that the glossy labels tend to have more air bubbles that proved to be almost impossible to remove. I settled for the matt labels and have so far had no trouble of this kind with them. Be aware that once the labels touch the surface of the CD/DVD, that it is almost impossible to remove them. or re-adjust their position. You must get it correctly position first time!!

Digital Film-Making
Digital Film-Making
by Mike Figgis

2.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly what I expected, 24 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Digital Film-Making (Paperback)
This book was published in 2007. Movie making has moved so fast in the last ten years that this book is already a past item. There is nothing in the book, except for the last two or three pages, that even mentions today's handheld HD cameras or the method of saving shots to memory cards. Nothing in this book will help you if you are an amateur videographer making films for your own enjoyment.

Infiniti A4 Blank PhotoGlossy White CD Label (50)
Infiniti A4 Blank PhotoGlossy White CD Label (50)

3.0 out of 5 stars Glossy Infinity labels, 31 Jan. 2014
I wanted to try these glossy labels for the shiny effect they would have on my finished video discs. I did find that there were sometimes air bubbles left under the labels that did bother me as I had a difficult time smoothing them out, finally using a wallpaper roller. The finished disc looks really good but compared to the Infinity matt labels, which I went back to using, they do take a lot more effort to get correctly attached.

Corel VideoStudio Ultimate X6 (PC)
Corel VideoStudio Ultimate X6 (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Corel VideoStudio X6, 31 Jan. 2014
This is my third version of CVS having had X2 and X5 previously. I did have a few problems with X6 as I did not want this version to be loaded into my almost full SSD 'C; drive. When I opened the programme for the first time it was in a dreadful mess and unusable all due to my messing with the destination folder on the computer. The good thing about X6 is that when it is uninstalled it actually does just that and all aspects of the programme go, and there doesn't seem to be any remnants left behind as X2 or X5 left behind. Ultimately (no pun intended) I did have to clear some space on the 'C' drive and allow it it to settle where it wanted to go. I removed ALL of X2 and X5 from the PC including all the menus usually left behind in the 'Contents' folders and in the registry. The second attempt to install X6 went without a hitch. The free menus etc. were loaded and the programme opened easily and worked like a dream.
I get the impression that this larger X6 is slower than my previous versions but if it really is, it doesn't bother me as I am quite willing to add a few more seconds to allow the programme to start up or to render. I was a little puzzled by the optimiser as it showed the frame rate as 29.97 and a file format of NTSC HDMV, but when the video was renderd and burnt to a disc everything seemed to be fine and nicely sharp with no juddering, and, in PAL I am no expert and if the finished video works as well as it does I am well satisfied and I don't go looking for techy explanations.
There are a lot of fancy additions that I will probably never use but it is nice to know that if I ever did want a fancy title effect instead of my own custom attempts, that it was there waiting for me to use it. The effects (FX) panel is excellent with the Video Pan and Zoom, Mercali, Cropping and Picture-in-Picture taking pride of place in my useage. There is a rotate effect that would help a lot of subscribers to YouTube who post videos sideways. There is a whole lot of transitions that are available for use. I personally use the fade transition for 99.9% of all my videos but there are more than a hundred, very varied transitions, that should please everybody. I do tend to save all my finished videos as 'iso' files and ready for burning to a disc and, to this effect the programme has it's own disc burning section and makes the whole experience of producing very nice home videos, a joy.
All in all, I do prefer this version of CVS over the other CVS versions as I find the finished videos appear to be more slick and professional looking, or could it be my upgrade to a Sony 720 handycam, (lol).
Before i bought X6 i did try Vegas but having used Corel for a few years, I could not get my head around, what seemed to me as a far too complicated way to produce a home video. As with most things PC some time has to be spent getting to know X6 and to give it time to do it's work, if you rush the programme it WILL stall, or freeze, as some people say. When X6 says that it is 'not responding', it IS working in the background and if you just wait for a few seconds it finishes it's work and waits for your next instructions. At the moment it is very cheap on Amazon compared to it's launch price. I like it.

LG BP325 3D Slim Smart Blu-ray Player - Black
LG BP325 3D Slim Smart Blu-ray Player - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars A good product but disapointing, 25 Sept. 2013
Bought this to update my ancient VHS recorder (lol). What it does with blue ray discs and also with ordinary discs is very good indeed. It will also accept usb sticks. recorded on the computer and play those to a very high standard.
Now the 'BUT', The connection to the internet is severely restricted, firstly to a weather forecast. Secondly to Youtube, which only shows half of the content that I have uploaded to that site, I cannot view my unlisted videos. Youtube, of course, does not show any TV series in their entirety of anything like Lovefilm etc. Thirdly, a site called Picassa. Which is a site on which I can see photographs, (doh!). All in all a pathetic collection of internet places. There is no way I can view Netflix, Lovefilm or even add other sites or apps.
I give it four stars because it really does deserve them for the playback quality. It loses one star because it really insn't adaptable when seeking more things from the internet. as some other players do at this price range.

Update:-I actually gave this away a few weeks later and went for a machine that would allow me to donate to Netflix and Lovefilm etc. I maintain that the playback quality was very good, but the restrictions, I could not live with, lol

Battery Pack for Sony NP-FV70 / NPFV70 / NP FV70 with Infochip and remaining time to maturity / Two Years Warranty

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap battery pack, 6 Jun. 2013
I have been pleasently pleased with this very cheap FV70. I loan out camcorders to family and freinds for holidays and social events and I found that I had left myself short of FV batteries. I expected this battery to lose power quickly as other reports tell us. This battery though held it's charge, delivered power to a cam light and active microphone, and appeared to go on for ever. Obviosly it didn't but it was the equal to an original Sony FV70. Even down to the information on the screen as to power and time time left. One of the best cheap buys I have made this year. Very fast delivery as well.

Perixx PERITAB-302PLUS, 12" 2048 Level Graphics Tablet - Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 Included - Ultrathin 1/5" Design with 16:10 Format - 6.25"x10" Working Area - 2048 Level Pen Pressure - 4000LPI - Compatible with Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8 & Mac OS X

5.0 out of 5 stars Peritab tablet, 6 Jun. 2013
I like this tablet with it's large surface. I have this spread over three 21" monitors, which can be slightly difficult when writing. I also use it on just the main monitor only which is a lot better. It is easy to set up, just plug in and off you go. if you have not used a tablet before, like me, you will have to take your time to get used to using it. After a couple of months, I am still persevering.

1-3.3X Right View Angle Finder for Canon 50D,40D,30D,1000D,550D,500D,450D,7D,5D,1Ds Nikon D5000,D3100,D3000,D300 D200,D90,D100,D50,D80,D70,D60,D40,Olympus E620,E520,E450,E420,Sony Alpha A900,A850,A550,A500,A450,A380,A350,A330,A300,A230,A200 Pentax Fuji Sigma DSLR Camera.

4.0 out of 5 stars Right angle viewer, 6 Jun. 2013
I bought this for a Pentax 20. It is excellent for taking pictures on the tripod which has been set to waist level. BUT. Although the 1.5X is good, the 3x just does not work. Out of focus and appears a wee bit fuzzy as well. Having said that though I have to say that now I have the angled viewer I dont think that the 3X would be of any use if it did work correctly. Nice set of adapters for the different cameras as well.

Picture Yourself Learning Corel PaintShop Pro X5
Picture Yourself Learning Corel PaintShop Pro X5
by Diane Koers

5.0 out of 5 stars PaintShopPro book, 6 Jun. 2013
This is a good example of just how books concerning explanations of how to use complicated programmes, Well thought out and written. Saved me throwing away the programme. It is a shame that a book like this isn't included with PSPX5.

Drive Medical 10365-ADJ Adjustable Walking Stick Seat
Drive Medical 10365-ADJ Adjustable Walking Stick Seat

3.0 out of 5 stars Walking stick seat, 6 Jun. 2013
very handy indeed for a person who can walk a fair distance, but has some difficulty with standing about because of back pain. Only three stars to say that it is okay for what it does as long as you use it the right way round. It loses two stars because it is very awkward to carry around when you have a couple of bags as well.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3