Profile for MonaLisaSmiles > Reviews

Content by MonaLisaSmiles

MonaLisaSmiles

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Something New Under the Sun: An Environmental History of the World in the 20th Century (Global century)
by J. R. McNeill

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overview of the environmental history of the 20th century, 19 Jan. 2015
In Something New Under the Sun: An Environmental History of the Twentieth-Century World, John R. McNeill sets out to demonstrate that there is, indeed, something new under the sun today, because "the place of humankind within the natural world is not what it was." McNeill, who is an American environmental historian, attempts to write a globalhistory of the environment during the entire twentieth century. While the task he sets out to do is colossal and impossible to achieve in under four-hundred pages, Something New Under the Sun provides a good basis for future research in the field, and is well deserving of the World History Association's Book Prize it won in 2001.

Targeting a wide audience, McNeill's central argument is that "the twentieth century was unusual for the intensity of change." He highlights "the centrality of human effort in provoking it," and states that many of the recent changes in nature were "unintended consequence of social, political, economic, and intellectual preferences and patterns." McNeill emphasises that, while the way the human race is interacting with the environment works under the current circumstances, our status quo is impossible to sustain. It will, therefore, be extremely hard to adapt our behaviour should our situation change.

McNeill's book is different from previous works both because of the breadth of his topic, and the neutral way he approaches it. He emphasises that environmental changes, and the processes which lead to them, can be good for some people while simultaneously being bad for others. Therefore, he intentionally refrains from making value judgements. This approach to environmental history provides a new perspective to a largely discussed topic, he emphasises that the human race as a whole is not endangered by environmental changes, but that our societal status quo is not sustainable. The book further illustrates the importance of globalisation today, as most countries rely on each other for supplies.

It is, of course, impossible to examine the entire global environmental history of the twentieth century in under four-hundred pages. McNeill, therefore, attempts to do far too much in Something New Under the Sun. While he consolidated a great amount of sources, most of which were from the last two decades before the book was published, there are gaps in his narrative. The breadth of topics discussed in the book means that he neglects a great amount of subcategories within these areas, such as "our impact on the fungi, bacteria, rodents, and worms that inhabit the soil" in the lithosphere section. Despite embarking on a task which was bound to fail, McNeill does offer a useful introduction to, and basis for further research in, this field. He is, furthermore, successful in demonstrating that the twentieth century saw environmental change like never before and that humans were central to this.

A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses, and Dissertations: Chicago Style for Students and Researchers (Chicago Guides to Writing, Editing and Publishing)
by Kate Turabian

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 19 Jan. 2015
I use this book all the time because it is a handy summary of the Chicago referencing style.

Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones - Black
Creative EP-630 Noise Isolating Earphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely love these headphones, 19 Jan. 2015
I absolutely love these headphones, I buy the same ones whenever they break. The sound quality is great for this price-range.

PLEMO Bohemian Style Canvas Fabric 13-13.3 Inch Laptop / Notebook Computer / MacBook / MacBook Pro / MacBook Air Sleeve Case Bag Cover, Mystic Forest
Offered by Avantek UK

5.0 out of 5 stars I absolutely love this case, 19 Jan. 2015
I absolutely love this case, I have had it for about a year now and it is still in perfect condition. It looks exactly as pictured and does its job.

Office Tan Brown Real Leather Mid High Heel Lace Up Victorian Steampunk Shoes
Office Tan Brown Real Leather Mid High Heel Lace Up Victorian Steampunk Shoes
Offered by Jenny-Wren Footwear

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 19 Jan. 2015
The shoes fit perfectly and look great! The heel height is perfect since they are not too high. The shoes are slightly more shiny than they look in the pictures but I like them even more this way. I would definitely recommend these, especially considering the low price!

Luckies Scratch Map Personalised World Map
Luckies Scratch Map Personalised World Map

5.0 out of 5 stars Very pleased, 14 Jan. 2013
I bought this as a present and am so happy with it that I just ordered another one for someone else. It comes in a tube so doesn't get damaged in the post and already looks great in it's packaging!

Laval Eyebrow Pencil - Blonde
Laval Eyebrow Pencil - Blonde
Offered by SNH Cosmetics

4.0 out of 5 stars Not the right colour, 10 Nov. 2012
It might just not be matching my hair but the colour seems far too brown for me, it isn't very dark but just has a red-ish brown tint in it which my eyebrows don't have so it looks a bit silly.

However it seems to be good quality and was delivered the next day which I was very happy with.

Boxer Gifts Munkees Key Bottle Opener Keyrings
Boxer Gifts Munkees Key Bottle Opener Keyrings
Offered by Partridge Promotions Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleased, 4 Aug. 2012
The bottle opener looks very nice and works well. The colour I got was a very nice green which I am very happy with it would have been nice to be able to chose the colour however. My only problem with this product is that it scratches very easily, especially when used to open bottles which is a bit annoying. I am happy overall.

Buy The Stars
Buy The Stars

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 30 May 2012
This review is from: Buy The Stars (MP3 Download)
I don't usually download songs, I prefer getting a physical copy if I pay money for something but this song is so beautiful I just had to buy it. I believe this is the best song on the whole Electra Heart album and should really have been on the actual album not just the deluxe version. I know a lot of people aren't too keen on Marina's new album compared to the last one but this song definitely lives up (and is even better in my opinion) to the Family Jewel's standard.

IB Study Guide: Chemistry 2nd Edition (IB Study Guides)
IB Study Guide: Chemistry 2nd Edition (IB Study Guides)
by Geoffrey Neuss

4.0 out of 5 stars Life saver!, 30 April 2012
This is a great revision guide! I compared it to the syllabus and it does seem like it covers everything, just not always in a lot detail but generally enough to understand it. As my teacher didn't manage to finish the syllabus with us I literally taught myself 48 hours of lessons with this (and youtube videos by richthornley which I would recommend to anyone studying IB chemistry). Unlike my textbook this doesn't have unnecessary details. However, I would not recommend only using this guide to revise.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4