Profile for Doctor Diesel > Reviews

Content by Doctor Diesel

Doctor Diesel (Reading, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
WURTH ENGINE & WHEEL CLEANER RECOMMENDED LARGE 500 ml
WURTH ENGINE & WHEEL CLEANER RECOMMENDED LARGE 500 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars it's well WURTH it!, 24 Sep 2011
It loosens up grime nicely, although I think I've got other products in my collection that would work just as well.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars so good I bought 2 pairs!, 30 July 2011
I wanted a pair of sunglasses for driving that would not make everything dark. These are perfect for the purpose.

So then I bought a second pair for cycling and general out and about. As well as the sunglasses bag that serves as a cleaning cloth, you also get a more rigid zip up case.

Auto Glym Motorcycle Visor Cleaner - 500ml
Auto Glym Motorcycle Visor Cleaner - 500ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Must Have, 25 July 2011
For high speed touring, this product is a godsend! Just spray your visor, wait a few seconds, and wipe off. No rubbing or scraping.

I personally use disposable paper towels or tissues for this job. If you need additional spray bottles, these are easily obtainable at Boots or any other chemist.

12v Chrome Stebel Nautilus Car Compact Twin Tone Air Horn
12v Chrome Stebel Nautilus Car Compact Twin Tone Air Horn

5.0 out of 5 stars Installed on a Yamaha XJ6 Diversion motorcycle, 3 Oct 2010
I'm very satisfied with my purchase. And at less than 30 GBP, the price is very good indeed!

Installation was not difficult, once having acquired the appropriate mounting bracket. The horn comes supplied with a relay. A wiring diagram is printed on the box the horn comes in, but there are no other instructions. Horns like this draw about 18 amps of current, so DO use the supplied relay so that current is drawn directly from the battery, and use cable that can withstand the electrical load.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 31, 2011 10:09 PM BST

ACF-50 Motorcycle And Automotive All Metal Anti-Corrosion Spray
ACF-50 Motorcycle And Automotive All Metal Anti-Corrosion Spray
Offered by Glaze Auto Parts
Price: 15.08

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up!, 13 Jun 2010
It's not as good as others have said. It's even better!

I have TWO motorcycles, and use ACF50 on both. Great for clearing away grime. Black metal that has faded to grey and started to look old is brought back to black and looks brand new again. The water resistant properties of ACF50 mean that treated areas don't become dirty as quickly. I use it on my bicycle too - chain, cogs, derailleurs all come up shiny and looking new!

How to be an Advanced Motorcyclist: Pass Your Advanced Motorcycling Test
How to be an Advanced Motorcyclist: Pass Your Advanced Motorcycling Test
by Iam (Eds)

2.0 out of 5 stars not for me, 29 May 2010
I tend to agree with "Rocknrolldoctor", who reviewed this item in 2006 and gave it one star. It's OK so far as it goes, but I don't really rate the IAM. I began their course but gave it up after 2 group sessions, and about 5 ride outs. Bit of a waste of time really.

Nokia N6303 Classic Sim Free Mobile Phone - Silver/Black
Nokia N6303 Classic Sim Free Mobile Phone - Silver/Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent phone, except for USB interface, 30 April 2010
I upgraded to this phone from a Nokia 6300.

I like this phone very much indeed. It's simple to use, and the corners are more rounded than the 6300 which means it's nicer to hold.

Battery life is excellent! I've had this phone 2 days now, and the battery indicator is still at Max with no charge up in the interim. Mine is set so that pressing the red hang up button once causes the time to be displayed in big digits - useful during in the night if you want to know what time it is without groping for your glasses!

A USB cable is provided with the 6303, but it's only about 6 inches long from end to end, which presupposes that the user has a USB socket available at desktop level. I do not, and so without buying a (very expensive) USB extension cable, I'm stuck with having to plug the phone into the back of my PC tower and leave it dangling there. For this reason, I'm giving 4 stars instead of 5.

EDIT: I've been able to order a 3m USB extension cable from Amazon at a cost of only 1.56.

Casio GW-M5610-1ER Wave Ceptor Radio Controlled G-SHOCK Mens Digital Resin Watch
Offered by WatchO
Price: 89.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good first impressions, 29 April 2010
I have owned a succession of Casio watches. They work well and never go wrong, but are let down by the plastic straps which in my experience last only about 3 years before splitting and breaking. When you submit your watch to Casio for repair, you then find that: a) the strap is not covered by warranty, and b) Repair is going to cost more than half the original purchase cost of the wristwatch.

That is exactly how I came to buy this latest model! The strap is segmented near the body of the watch, which gives the impression that it might be more flexible in this area (where breakage typically occurs), but time will tell.

Good points:
1. Clear, easy to read display.
2. Free from supplementary (and unnecessary) dials within the display, as found on earlier models.
3. Well designed buttons which make inadvertent button press much less likely than on previous Casio models.
4. Slim, and comfortable to wear. Light weight.

Bad points:
1. Will the strap last more than 3 years this time?
2. The alarm sound is so soft as to be barely audible, and is useless. So it's a good job I don't plan to use the many alarm functions available. However, I would have liked the hourly time signal.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 21, 2010 4:04 PM BST

Silent Hunter 5 (PC DVD)
Silent Hunter 5 (PC DVD)
Offered by PNA247
Price: 2.50

1.0 out of 5 stars The worst game I ever bought, 11 Mar 2010
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Silent Hunter 5 (PC DVD) (DVD-ROM)
I echo what many others have said in reviews already posted. Steer clear of this monster - it is a disaster.

I skipped SH4, but I did play and enjoyed SH3. I didn't like having to micromanage the crew, but it was not a show stopper.

SH5 is totally different. It seems to have been written to provide "immersion" and "realism". It fails dismally. The instructions provided are little more than a glorified leaflet, and there are no tutorials installed along with the game.

The game starts with you, the player, being "awoken in your bunk" to go and talk to the captain on the bridge. You have to "walk" to the command room and "climb 2 ladders" to get to the bridge, where the captain is waiting. I spent over an hour trying to figure out how to "climb" these ladders. With help from the forum, I finally managed it - only to find that the captain was blathering about the coming battle. After that, I could not find my way back to the hatch to get back down the ladders. The problem was made worse because this happens during darkness. After a further hour of stumbling around, looking for the hatch, I gave up.

And that was the sum total of my career as a SH5 u-boat captain. Laughably, as I logged out of the game, the system reported my career prospects as "promising" - LOL.

I was looking forward to u-boat battles in the north Atlantic - not messing about climbing up and down ladders.

Two thumbs down. This one is going in the trash. I couldn't bring myself to offer it for resale on Amazon. I'd feel guilty about taking your money.

Yes folks, it REALLY IS that bad.

Zoom: The Global Race to Fuel the Car of the Future
Zoom: The Global Race to Fuel the Car of the Future
by Iain Carson

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting Book, 14 Feb 2009
I agree with all that F. McMillan has said before me.

I learned a lot from this book though. It was interesting to see how Toyota, which started selling cars in America to sneers of derision from Detroit, went on to surpass GM as #1 car company in America in just 50 years. Toyota had vision while GM and the other American companies became dinosaurs.

According to the book, a mass switch to an alternative, no-petroleum power source for cars, such as hydrogen fuel cells, could be much closer than I realised.

Worth reading, but starts to waffle in the closing chapters.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4