Profile for wicklow > Reviews

The Extra Virgin Kitchen
The Extra Virgin Kitchen
by Susan Jane White

5.0 out of 5 stars A game changer, 10 May 2014
This is a game changer for health-conscious kitchens. It's really that good. Funny, informative, and often cheeky, Sarah Jane has loads of personality.

I read about The Extra Virgin Kitchen going on its 3rd print run after just 10 weeks in the shops, and reluctantly bought it (we already have a stash of disappointing health cookbooks I was hesitant to add to). It's easy to see why it has a cult following.

The book is very heavy though, so I'd prefer a soft back version (we can't bring it on shopping trips as a result).

We recommend starting with the chocolate chilli con carne & black rice.

I Quit Sugar for Life: Your fad-free wholefood wellness code and cookbook
I Quit Sugar for Life: Your fad-free wholefood wellness code and cookbook
by Sarah Wilson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for diabetics in particular, 10 May 2014
This book is an encouraging way to change your sweet tooth and your palate. Why would you want to do this in the first place? Being diabetic, it's crucial to temper sugar cravings. Once you give sugar up for a few weeks, you'll suddenly find sweetness in all the foods you eat (especially sweet potatoes).

Is it a good book for non-diabetics? Probably. I imagine cookbooks using unrefined sweeteners in place of white sugar would be more enjoyable for non-diabetics and the health conscious. So I recommend it for diabetics.

The Spinning Heart
The Spinning Heart
by Donal Ryan

5.0 out of 5 stars unexpected pleasure, 1 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Spinning Heart (Paperback)
An excellent read. I thought I would hate reading more about Ireland's misery and bust (it's all we ever read about in the papers) and I originally resnted having to read 'The Spinning Heart' in our bookclub!

Turns out Ryan is a spectacular observer, and combines wit with sentimentality to provide us with incredibly moving imagery. First class book. An unespected find.

The Vegan Baker - More than 50 delicious recipes for vegan-friendly cakes, cookies, bars and other baked treats
by Dunja Gulin

3.0 out of 5 stars First book better, 12 Oct. 2013
I bought this book on the strength of Dunja's first cookbook which was fab.

What I liked? The Vegan Baker's photography is incredible, and it makes for a cosy read on a wet afternoon while plotting some kitchen adventures. Very inspiring.

Also, it's clear this chef has mastered vegan frosting without using gallons of sugar and butter. A great achievement. Tastes wonderful.

However, I expected it to be a lot healthier. White flour features in most recipes. Dunja is also fond of using sunflower oil, agave, marg (non-hydrogenated) and soy milk. None of these foods nourish the body. They are not 'nutritious' and I was disappointed to read her opinion on the front cover recipe as "super-healthy" when it really isn't.

A crude but fair summary: The book uses soy in place of eggs, and oil or marg in place of butter. I guess I was hoping for more (like the use of chia seed or flax in place of eggs).

The Medicinal Chef: Eat Your Way to Better Health
The Medicinal Chef: Eat Your Way to Better Health
by Dale Pinnock

5.0 out of 5 stars rigorously researched and thoughtfuly constructed, 3 Jun. 2013
A wonderful cookbook. It's like a mini nutrition course, without being instructive or preachy.

Easy recipes, totally accessible ingredients (which surprised me) and beautifuly illustrated with heaps of photos. I have cooked at least a dozen recipes so far and all of them worked.

Pinnock's previous 2 books are not illustrated as well as this one, but they are even more informative. Both get a big thumbs up from me - I'm constantly referring to them. He's our food guru.

The Guilt-free Gourmet - Indulgent recipes without sugar, wheat or dairy
The Guilt-free Gourmet - Indulgent recipes without sugar, wheat or dairy
by Jordan Bourke

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 3 Jun. 2013
I should start by saying that this book is beautifully photographed, and looks terrific. There were so many good reviews on Amazon that I expected it to live up to its expectations.

But I'm disappointed. The authors pose as health experts, claiming that date syrup is low GI (p9). This is incorrect. In fact, date syrup has a very high glycemic value. Given that the title says sugar-free, many diabetics like me will be purchasing the book in the hope of being correctly informed about alternatives to sugar. Sadly this is not the case. One should not expect such a basic mistake from a 'professional'. Buyer beware.

Sadly, the authors use spelt flour in many recipes. Spelt is wheat (in a wheat-free book!?). This annoyed me too, given that my expectations were for wheat-free recipes. Yes, the authors recommend we try gluten-free flour in place of spelt, but I fail to see much imagination in that. White gluten-free flour is often just as refined as regular white flour.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 25, 2015 10:04 AM GMT