Profile for Bridgette > Reviews

Confessions of a City Girl
Confessions of a City Girl
by Barbara Stcherbatcheff

4.0 out of 5 stars Citygirl reading Citygirl, 28 May 2012
It is a good book in general. I like the detailed description of how she made it to become a trader. It makes me think of the early days of my career. Despite the ending, the general tone is quite encouraging. Well... different people may have different views on the ending anyway. You might find it positive! The only thing I didn't enjoy so much was the traders' jargons - not being a trader myself, I found it difficult to understand and boring at times.
Highly recommended for girls working alone in the City!

At Bonus Time, No One Can Hear You Scream
At Bonus Time, No One Can Hear You Scream
by David Charters

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 28 May 2012
David Charters has always been one of my favourite authors. I liked his No Tears so much that I decided to purchase all other books he has written. At Bonus Time No-one Can Hear You Scream is a recent purchase despite its publication date. It is easy to read and funny. I enjoy the sarcasm the most. Being an in-house lawyer, I couldn't help recommending this book to our CEO to let him know the tricks the bankers are playing. Apparently the same tricks have been played over and over again - from David's time to now. They are hardly changed!

No Tears: Tales from the Square Mile
No Tears: Tales from the Square Mile
by David Charters

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-have for People Working in the City, 24 Jun. 2011
I am not a banker. I was someone who worked with the bankers everyday. I was a corporate lawyer. I bought this book when I was in the most desperate period of my life: working long hours with the bankers knowing I only earn 1/10 or 1/100 of what they earn. I just wanted to see the dark side of their life to somehow make myself feel better.

I did. The book is easy to read. The humour (esp. for those insiders) and the surprising ending of each story make you just want to read the next one. And after finishing the whole book, I just wanted to re-read it. I did, several times. It's my all time favourite.

Highly recommended for bankers, lawyers and all the other slaves working in the industry.

Wedding Babylon
Wedding Babylon
by Imogen Edwards-Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for all brides-to-be, brides-have-been and/or brides-will-never-be, 16 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Wedding Babylon (Paperback)
I am getting married in a month's time. When I bought this book, I just wanted to have a laugh. I did. But at the same time, I've seen the other side of the should-be-happy-and-perfect weddings. It's not just the money that has been thrown out like water, it's the emotion and other unrelated stuff. A wedding should be simple and for those who are really happy for you. It's not a show - unlike shows, which are inevitably fake, love should be true and genuine, which is capable of lasting for a lifetime.

The book describes numerous luxurious scenes of weddings, but it actually makes me want to have a simple one even more. All girls, whatever her relationship status is, can benefit from the reading.