Profile for Iain McClumpha > Reviews

Content by Iain McClumpha

Iain McClumpha (Glasgow, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Airborne Normandy: 12" Inch Action Figures - US and British Paratroopers
Airborne Normandy: 12" Inch Action Figures - US and British Paratroopers
by Frederic Bouteiller

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent miniature mayhem., 2 Jun. 2015
As a collector and customiser of 12" figures I knew I had to have this book.

The photography is excellent throughout and sometimes, just sometimes you forget these are 1/6 scale figures. I have other books by the authors and I have to say this is a huge leap forward in terms of the quality of the figures and the very realistic lighting brings them to life in a way that studio photos never could.

Great stuff.

Thunderbirds: X-ray Cross-sections
Thunderbirds: X-ray Cross-sections
by Alex Pang

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than the film, 2 Jun. 2015
While the film was a major disappointment for Thunderbirds fans, the cross-sections tie-in book isn't. Okay, it isn't exactly as well thought out as Graham Bleathman's classic cutaway books, but it does a decent job.

Space Battleship Yamato [DVD]
Space Battleship Yamato [DVD]
Dvd ~ Takuya Kimura

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, 2 Jun. 2015
Saw this in Japan on release over there and thought it was absolutely stunning. The Japanese audience were glued to the screen as the Yamato made her way towards the planet Iscandar... this was their Star Trek, and the live action film felt just like the anime.
The effaects are beautiful, and the melancholy reworking of the theme tune fits the concept much more than the funky '70s original ever did.

I know that some American reviewers were annoyed because it was an all-Japanese cast and used the Japanese names... they seemed to forget that "Uchuu Senkan Yamato" was around before it became "Star Blazers".

Anyway, the Manga DVD is a great transfer with easy to read subtitles and good sound.

Shady [DVD]
Shady [DVD]
Dvd ~ Izumi Okamura
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Dark, 2 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Shady [DVD] (DVD)
This starts off as a nice film about two outsiders becoming friends because both are bullied at school, but then descends into something more macabre and nasty.
I deducted a star because of several issues: it's too dark in places and you can't see what's going on. The ending of the film is also a bit at odds with the rest... it's jarring and the gore wasn't really needed.

Apart from that I quite liked it.

R100 [DVD]
R100 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Takafumi Katayama

2.0 out of 5 stars Pointless, 2 Jun. 2015
This review is from: R100 [DVD] (DVD)
This was just odd.
I like Japanese comedy films as well as more serious films, but sometimes I watch something that's meant to be a comedy and it isnt, like Big Man and films of that ilk. From the premis this seemed like quite a funny film, and it had a cast with some well known faces in it, such as the beautiful Eriko Sato... but I was left scratching my head. I never laughed once... I just thought it was a waste of talent and money.

Not since Love Exposure have I wanted to chuck a Japanese film away. It gets two stars only for the cast. Pointless film.

Planet Of The Apes: The Complete TV Series [DVD] [1974]
Planet Of The Apes: The Complete TV Series [DVD] [1974]
Dvd ~ Roddy McDowall

5.0 out of 5 stars Go Ape, 20 Feb. 2015
Like some other reviewers I watched this series as a lad, and immediately loved Urko and his gorilla army.
Looking back at it now, it falls into the same trap as Logan's Run - two out-of-their-depth runaways (astronauts), an outsider from the world (in this case Roddy McDowell's Galen) always being chased by the authorities (gorillas). In Logan's run it was Logan and Jessica on the run from the Sandmen, accompanied by the android REM.
That aside the POTA TV series allowed us a view of an almost alien world every week where our heroes would hunt down the humans and... oops, I mean our heroes would be on the run and stumble into a situation which involved either their capture or one of them was ill. There were some stand-out episodes though, such as The Trap, where General Urko finds himself trapped in an old subway station with Pete Burke (the Starsky of this series, with Alan Virdon as the series' Hutch), and having to work together to get out. Along the way Urko discovers something about the past which upsets him a bit...

Others have mentioned how the series drifted away from the movies in terms of continuity, but it could have been set during the period after the final film, where humans were still talking... except for the fact that Dr Zaius is in the film, and Ape City has moved from near New York to the west coast of America. Oops.
It's best to view the series as a stand alone reboot rather than inhabiting the same continuity.

As a fan of the classic Apes films it's great to own the TV set and to rekindle my childhood whenever I want to. Go APE!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 12, 2015 9:03 PM BST

The Insect Woman/ Nishi-Ginza Station - Dual Format (Blu-ray+DVD) [Masters of Cinema] [1963]
Dvd ~ Sachiko Hidari

2.0 out of 5 stars Misjudged, 23 Nov. 2014
I like most Japanese films, and since this was so highly regarded I thought I would give it a go.

Oh dear. It's just an unrelenting, depressing film. I'm afraid this one's going to the PDSA.

Invasion [DVD]
Invasion [DVD]
Dvd ~ Edward Judd

5.0 out of 5 stars Welcome release for a great little film., 5 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Invasion [DVD] (DVD)
First saw this in the 80s and it instantly became one of my favourite films... and viewing it on DVD for the first time it's still a wonderful film.
So it doesn't have a mega budget... it has a tight storyline, excellent acting and good direction. Edward Judd can do no wrong and this film shows what an underated actor he really was. Barrie Ingham is also excellent as the army Major. Tsai Chin gives a great performance as a nurse who just happens to be Chinese... a fact which is really quite important to the story, so not just a token Asian face in the crowd.
Japanese actress Yoko Tani plays the Lystrian leader as a strange, almost etherial woman... and it works, although how Sister mistook her for Nurse Lim is anyone's guess.

This is also an important film for UK TV as it laid down the format that would eventually be adapoted by Doctor Who in the 1970s... with the soldiers being replaced by UNIT, and the Major by Briagadier Lethbridge-Stewart.
It's also no coincidence that Robert Holmes wrote the story (not the screenplay) and would use elements of it in Jon Pertwee's very first Who story.

There is only one disappointment for me... and it isn't with the film... but the disc. The sound quality is rubbish. I had to turn my TV almost full up just to hear the voices. Great, clear picture... terrible sound.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2015 9:32 AM GMT

NuoYa005 KUMIK 1:6 Figure Girl Female Head Women Black Curly Wavy Straight Hair Long Wigs
Offered by NuoYa005

5.0 out of 5 stars ... to get here (some Far East postal services are better than others) when it arrived the wig (actually what ..., 29 Oct. 2014
Although it took a while to get here (some Far East postal services are better than others) when it arrived the wig (actually what appears to be a scalp as it is affixed to a soft rubber... scalp) was well-protected and of good quality. I needed it for a figure project... and it worked fine for what I wanted it to do.

I would use NuoYa005 again... lots of contact, very concerned, and all round good seller.

Godzilla [DVD] [2014]
Godzilla [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Aaron Taylor-Johnson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Kaiju mayhem., 28 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Godzilla [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
I've been a fan of Godzilla ever since I saw "Son of Godzilla" in the early 70s... I even had the Aurora model kit.
Since then I've managed to see every Godzilla film up to and including "Godzilla: Final War", and have all of them on DVD.

In 1998 we had THAT film... the Centropolis Godzilla film was bad... not just a bad Godzilla film, but a bad monster film in general.
So when rumours emerged that a new US Godzilla film was being made my heart sank... thinking here we go again... but I needn't have worried.

The CGI Goji here is still a lumbering, giant kaiju like his suitmation ancestors (although "Always Sunset on Third Street", a Japanese film set in the late 1950s had a CGI Godzilla that was simply breathtaking), but designed to be more like a real creature. It just looks amazing.

British director, British star (doing an excellent US accent) and a truly awe-inspiring monster. Brilliant!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12