ARRAY(0xa893d2a0)

Mr Anthony Brown

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Spencer P.Jones/Nothing Butts
Spencer P.Jones/Nothing Butts

3.0 out of 5 stars Scummy garage rock from Aussie legendary axe man, 19 Sep 2013
Spencer P Jones is a Keith Richards type figure within the Australian alternative music scene, playing guitar in The Johnnys and Beasts of Bourbon in the 80s and 90s. This is his latest solo release and is a great collection of punky garage rock. Spencer doesn't have the greatest voice but he can play a mean guitar riff and the band brew up a tremendously swampy sound. The best tracks here have hints of Hunky Dory era Bowie while the rest are decent versions of classic rock. Well worth investigating if you like this sort of thing.

Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action
Right Thoughts, Right Words, Right Action
Price: 9.53

5.0 out of 5 stars Franz Ferdinand's triumphant return, 19 Sep 2013
Four albums in and Franz Ferdinand show no signs of dropping the quality. I have seen reviews which claim this is a return to form, but since I don't believe that the band ever showed poor form I would have to disagree. This is simply another great, great Franz Ferdinand record full of the usual irresistible hooks and wry lyrics that dare you to resist dancing. It has been a long wait but this is well worth it.

In The Days When The World Was
In The Days When The World Was
Price: 15.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent country tinged balladry from Aussie rockers, 19 Sep 2013
The Darling Downs are Ron Peno from Died Pretty and Kim Salmon from Scientist & Surrealists fame. This is their third and best cd together. Peno's voice has echoes of Orbison and the music that Salmon creates is simply beautiful. If you like anything that is remotely classified as alt country you will love this album. I have played it constantly since it arrived while feeding my six month old son and it gets better on every listen.

Comedown Machine
Comedown Machine
Price: 10.00

4.0 out of 5 stars The Strokes turn to the eighties for inspiration, 30 Aug 2013
This review is from: Comedown Machine (Audio CD)
This is a great album which I thoroughly enjoy listening to but as its the Strokes you would still expect better. It's their weakest album in which they have expanded on the sound they dallied with on Angles. The songs are typically catchy, although one of them sounds scarily like Take On Me by A-ha, but none of them leave any lasting impression. Not really sure where they go from here but I'm sure it will be fun finding out.

Love Undercover
Love Undercover
Price: 11.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Solo debut from Coral frontman, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: Love Undercover (Audio CD)
This is an excellent record from the Coral's lead singer and songwriter. To be honest it is the Coral minus their guitar player so it isn't that different to what they have previously done, but it is full of high tempo numbers and has a "60's soul" feel to it with sax and strings that really brings the music to life. If this is James Skelly's new direction count me in.

A Bad Wind Blows In My Heart
A Bad Wind Blows In My Heart
Price: 10.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Mellow tunes from ex Coral sideman, 29 Aug 2013
This is Bill Ryder-Jones second cd since leaving the Coral and it is much better that his debut, although that was an instrumental piece. The songs on here are very good and similar to the slower tunes on Coral albums. He obviously didn't leave for musical differences. There is a dreamy quality to Bill's voice that fits the music well, a great record for chilling out to on rainy afternoons

I Want Some
I Want Some
Price: 11.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Best of and singles collection of funky garage rock, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: I Want Some (Audio CD)
I only got into the Make-Up two years ago and this is only my second purchase, I have their back catalogue on my wish list but always end up buying other stuff. This is great collection that showcases all of the different styles the band play from funk to punk to garage to jazz.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2014 11:28 PM BST

Mia - the Complete Anthology
Mia - the Complete Anthology

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing LA Punk Rock, 29 Aug 2013
I bought this while reading about the LA punk scene in an excellent book called We Got The Neutron Bomb. My interest in the LA scene was fuelled by liking the Gun Club and X. I wish that I hadn't bothered as it is just punk by numbers, it proves that in most cases you really did have to be there to enjoy the music.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 21, 2014 5:17 PM GMT

Desperation
Desperation
Price: 10.53

4.0 out of 5 stars Blistering return for the Memphis crazies, 29 Aug 2013
This review is from: Desperation (Audio CD)
This is the Oblivians first album for 18 years and is probably their best yet. It is a smorgasbord of all of the best bits from their previous albums. I don't usually like it when bands reform after years apart as I don't think they can ever match the originals but this cd bucks that trend. Call the police!

Tex Perkins & The Band of Gold
Tex Perkins & The Band of Gold
Price: 35.88

3.0 out of 5 stars Tex goes all country for this covers album, 29 Aug 2013
This cd was inspired by Tex's turn playing Johnny Cash in theatres in Australia. It's a decent album that is let down by the choice of covers. I have a similar album by John Doe so I was really expecting this to be on the money as I think Tex is a better singer, but it just doesn't have the vibe that I would have expected. It's not a poor album by any stretch of the imagination but it doesn't go anyway either or grab your attention. If you like Tex Perkins it is worth investigating but not at the inflated prices currently quoted on Amazon.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4