Profile for Mr. RM HOWES > Reviews

Content by Mr. RM HOWES

Mr. RM HOWES "kibsword" (UK)

Eureka Seven Manga: 2 (Eureka Seven: Psalms of Planets)
Eureka Seven Manga: 2 (Eureka Seven: Psalms of Planets)
by Kazuma Kondou

4.0 out of 5 stars An enjoyable continuation to the Manga, but different from the Anime, 25 Oct. 2006
As I reviewed on the first volume of this Manga, its really only worth buying if you enjoy the Anime series. Even then you have to be able to put up with the differing events in the Manga/Anime.

Volume 2 is an enjoyable continuation to Volume 1, however, it does seem to diverge a lot more from the Anime than the first book. My favourite character from the Anime, Anemone (girl on the cover), is introduced in this book. Although I think I still prefer how she was portrayed in the anime.

This book is split into four main sections:

04: Silence Burns

05: The Sun & Moon

06: Siamese Dream

07: Summertime Blues

At the end there is again a Bonus Comic Strip.

Overall: I bought this with the first volume. It is slightly longer (thankfully) from volume 1, but diverges a lot more from the anime. Its enjoyable and worth getting, but fans of the anime may be put off by the divergences.

Eureka Seven Manga: 1 (Eureka Seven: Psalms of Planets)
Eureka Seven Manga: 1 (Eureka Seven: Psalms of Planets)
by Jinsei Kataoka

4.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, but different to the Anime, 25 Oct. 2006
I should start by pointing out that Volume 1 and 2 of this Manga are the first Mangas that I have bought to date. As a result I shall not be able to do any comparisons to other Mangas etc, as I have not read any.

I am a big fan of the Anime series of Eureka seveN, and have watched it all twice. Despite this not being the only Anime I loved, I decided I enjoyed this enough to make it my first Manga buy. For those who don't know, Manga is essentially the Japanese style comic book, its often the case that Manga are turned into Anime, or the other way around. If you havn't seen Eureka seveN, I recommend buying the DVDs, it is a very enjoyable modern anime series.

This Manga as I understand it was published after the series was made, so it is based on the Anime. However, it doesn't follow the story exactly the same. Don't get me wrong, its essentially the same storyline just that the Manga follows it in a different way, with different events.

The quality of the art in the book I found to be very nice, it was easy to read and enjoyable. Dispite being my first Manga, it only took a few pages to get the hang of reading from right to left. I found it built on some places the Anime skipped a little, but for the most part the opposite was true.

The Manga books actually cover the story fairly quickly, don't expect the books to last you very long in terms of reading time. I found compared to the Anime the character development, and storyline development was rushed, and many important elements were skipped or changed. So really as a stand alone Manga, I am not sure that I would recommend it. On the other hand, if you have enjoyed the Anime series, this is a worthwhile buy.

Volume one introduces Renton joining the Gecko Go (or Moonlight as the Manga calls it) and introduces most of the main characters including Eureka. This is broken up into three sections:

01: Start Today

02: Kids are alright

03: Holidays in the Sun

There is also an extra comic strip at the end.

Overall: Worthwhile if you enjoyed the anime, I wouldn't recommend it if you didn't. However, some may be dissapointed by the differences between the anime and the manga.

Microsoft Natural Ergo Keyboard 4000 - UK Layout
Microsoft Natural Ergo Keyboard 4000 - UK Layout

5.0 out of 5 stars Different but good, 6 Dec. 2005
Before I start, I would like to point out that this review has been written on the first day of recieving the keyboard so consider it how you wish.
But saying that it should add a view from a different angle :)
As I said I recieved the keyboard today and it is my first ergonomic one, but so far I am enjoying it. Having typed on a standard keyboard daily for 15 years and this year getting a job involving using a computer most the day I am suffering some painful RSI. I decided to get an ergonomic keyboard and after reading the reviews here I decided to give this one a go. I also used lazy typing all my life so knew I would have to teach myself proper full fingered typing for this one.
So far I have found this keyboard quite an adjustment but already liking it. Still adjusting to the layout of the keys but my sitting position is straighter and far more comfortable.
My hands ached at first getting used to it, but progressive use and I'm getting faster and less ache in my hands.
I can see me sticking with this style of keyboard in the future, and it seems a good one too. If you want an ergonomic one from my days use I would recommend trying this.

Disciples II - Gold Edition (PC)
Disciples II - Gold Edition (PC)
Offered by AllGoodDealz

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game, 28 Jun. 2005
I was recommended this title by a friend, I looked on here and it was faily cheap so I ordered it. I am really enjoying this, just finished the first campaign and there are many more to do :)
Unlimited Hero level, its 2d world, but that doesnt stop it being addictive. In this set you get the 3 expansion sets so its well worth the money.
The customer support is great too, I had a problem with my install after I had played the demo. So I went to their forums and had a reply within a day, which fixed my problem in 5 minutes.
Overall, superb game. A bit outdated but still fun. Warning, its one of those addictive games :)

Wood Poker Rack With Professional Chips
Wood Poker Rack With Professional Chips
Offered by SHOP EASY LIMITED

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not great, 28 Jun. 2005
I was given this set at christmas by my parents. A few of my friends have poker sets and we have been playing for a while now, so my parents got me this. It's probably the best set of the three between my friends and I but its not the best.
As pointed out in some previous reviews it isnt the most transportable poker set in the world, likelyhood is all your chips will fall out on the way if you dont put some clingfilm etc over it.
The cards are very good quality, two sets and I dont have any complaints about those, very nice.
The chips, 50 of each colour and reasonable, not the best in the world. Feel too light as pointed out in a previous review and feel a bit tacky compared with some other sets, but its a useful set anyway.
The wooden holder itself, nice to look at and has a nice handle. However, the quality of this is quite poor, its smooth on the outside but in the chip holders it isnt smoothed off at all, I wouldnt be surprised if I got a splinter trying to get the chips out. As a result of this the chips get scratched in the holder, not a very good system if you ask me.
Overall its a reasonable set, and many hours of fun. Probably the main flaws with it are chip weight and the holder/transport. Worth getting, but definatly look around at other options first.

Iriver 40GB MP3 Player with FM Tuner H-140
Iriver 40GB MP3 Player with FM Tuner H-140

5.0 out of 5 stars My best buy of 2004 by far, 29 Oct. 2004
I know its a little sad, but I have ordered around 60 items in 2004 from amazon so far (maybe even sadder that I counted =J). However, of everything I have bought this is my best buy by far. I have had no problems with it, the battery has never run out on me, the sound quality is great and once you have played around with it for 10mins and deleted the origional I-river tune, its very easy to use (both with the main console and remote).
I use some nice Sony headphones with it, and the quality is amazing. Even when I'm on the bus to uni and back I get perfect reception from the radio 99% of the time.
Another big use it has is as a portable 40Gb hard drive. I dont use floppy discs anymore (but who does anyway =J), just the plug and play on this for transferring big uni files to home and back again.
Well worth buying, and the I-pod is out of it's league.

Hellsing: The Collection (4 Discs) [DVD]
Hellsing: The Collection (4 Discs) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Umanosuke Iida

5.0 out of 5 stars Hellsing, a true masterpiece, 17 Oct. 2004
Hellsing is definatly amoung one of my favourite anime, along with Last Exile and Read or Die. The story line builds up all the way through and it is action packed to the last drop of blood.
The box set has no additional features from the individual DVDs from what I can make out, but if your going to buy it (and you really should) it makes sense to buy all 13 episodes at once.
I own this and shall certainly watch it again and again, well done Gonzo.