Profile for SSP > Reviews

SSP

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife
Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife

4.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating story of a Neurosurgeon's Near Death Experience in Heaven, 16 Nov. 2014
What made this book great was that the author is a Neurosurgeon and was almost 100% dismissive of Heaven, God or anything spiritual. The fact that he is now spreading his story about his Near Death Experience and the journey he went through in heaven is a great enough reason to recommend this book.

Choose Yourself!
Choose Yourself!

4.0 out of 5 stars James is hilarious, smart and gets you to question everything - I highly recommend this book, 10 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Choose Yourself! (Kindle Edition)
James Altucher is one of the funniest people I know, only discovered him recently. I first heard about him through Ramit Sethi's educational material that I purchased on Ramit's website. James is so honest and upfront about all things in life whether it comes, to money, education, sex, relationships and basically anything! That alone is worth its weight in gold in terms of entertainment value as well as the useful knowledge he shares about everything he writes about.

Ogilvy on Advertising
Ogilvy on Advertising

4.0 out of 5 stars The definitive book on how to create great, simple, highly effective advertising, 10 Nov. 2014
A fantastic book on advertising and learning what works due to, ultimately, human habits and behaviour. I first heard of Ogilvy when I saw a Tweet by Rory Sutherland, who is hilarious and works for this advertising agency (check out his videos on YouTube by the way). It is amazing that in this book the author says that almost all of the things that work in advertising are well known, have been for some time (all methods are explained here too) and most of the creative people who work in Ad agencies all over the world ignore these principles and keep trying to reinvent the wheel. This frustrates the author more than anything! I also didn't know how to distinguish advertising between agencies. However, through illustrations of Ogilvy's big clients and campaigns over the years, this has increased my awareness from absolutely zero to quite a decent level. This was a great educational book to read and great to put ALL of these principles into practise if you want to promote your own business.

Total Recall
Total Recall

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm glad someone recommended this to me, Arnold is a massive inspiration, 10 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Total Recall (Kindle Edition)
Great book. I would never had bought this, my friend recommended it to me. I was amazed by what he has achieved in his life. I had no idea he was a phenomenal businessman as well as his movie career. Arnold also has a great sense of humour and and his truly inspirational. To top it all off, his key takeaways at the end of the book were great. All in all, an awesome read

The Choose Yourself Stories
The Choose Yourself Stories

3.0 out of 5 stars great follow on from his first book choose yourself, 7 Sept. 2014
This is a great follow on from the Choose Yourself book. Very funny stories and really hits home that working for someone else is a total waste of time.

I Will Teach You To Be Rich: No guilt, no excuses - just a 6-week programme that works

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book on the basics of personal finance and how to negotiate your salary for a job, 25 May 2014
I purchased this book after I heard about Ramit from a colleague at work. Although the bulk of it is ideal for people who need to save and cut debt, there are some advanced things in there which were gold. An example is that I never knew you didn't have to tell your future employer your salary and that if they insisted, how to deal with that much better so you can negotiate a higher salary. For that tip alone I would recommend this book. Ramit drills into us how we need to automate our investing and that is something I put into action too.

Bang: The Pickup Bible That Helps You Get More Lays
Bang: The Pickup Bible That Helps You Get More Lays

2.0 out of 5 stars Terrible!, 25 May 2014
Compared to the courses and material I have purchased on Daygame from other companies in this field, this stuff by Roosh is awful. However, had I not purchased this book and his other one, I wouldn't have gone looking for others, so in a way it was a book I had to buy as part of my daygame learning journey.

1984 Nineteen Eighty-Four (Penguin Modern Classics)
1984 Nineteen Eighty-Four (Penguin Modern Classics)
by George Orwell

4.0 out of 5 stars Doublespeak is the Blair government, 19 Feb. 2014
The most important part of this book is the Appendix on "Doublespeak". I never fully understood what this meant until I actually read this book, even though I'd heard the phrase many times in conversation over the years. Then the nightmare Blair government made sense to me in a second. Then the look of horror came over my face when I realised that the BBC, the Labour government and the useless technocrats in the British government and Civil Service all basically employ this book as a user manual. It is terrifying, but important to be aware of how Blair and his corrupt government ruined the UK by employing the techniques outlined in this book.

Poirot and Me
Poirot and Me

4.0 out of 5 stars As a big fan of the TV series and David Suchet, I couldn't wait to read this, 19 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Poirot and Me (Kindle Edition)
As a massive fan of the TV show and David Suchet since the beginning, I couldn't wait to read this. I've loved watching Poirot from a very young age and now that the final series is airing on TV in Australia (Feb 2014 at time of this review), the timing of this book was perfect. It was really enjoyable to read about the stages of life David Suchet was in during filming. The details of how he tried to portray the very essence of Poirot through his notes was fascinating. I've never read any of the Poirot books as I struggle to maintain my attention when reading fiction, therefore, this series is even more special to me. If you love the TV show and David Suchet, buy this and read it.

Company (Vintage Contemporaries)
Company (Vintage Contemporaries)

3.0 out of 5 stars Dedicated to Hewlett-Packard!, 19 Feb. 2014
I originally added this to my wishlist after reading an article on Seth Godin's blog on some books he recommended to read.

I knew I would like the book from the minute the dedication page said the book was for Hewlett-Packard. As an ex HP employee who had to go through the Compaq merger and the dreaded Carly years, that had my attention straight away. The fact that the fictional company in this book mirrors not only HP, but other companies I've worked for like Oracle simply makes this book hilarious. It had a very sudden and abrupt ending which is the only reason I didn't mark it much higher. It reminded me of the movie "The Raid". That movie had a great start and middle, but the end came very quickly and was not as polished as the rest in my personal opinion.

Having said all of the above, if you work for a large company, this is a great book to buy, as well as e by Matt Beaumont.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4