Profile for M. Hirst > Reviews

Content by M. Hirst

M. Hirst "shellihirst" (Huddersfield, West Yorks)

Page: 1 | 2
Bose ® AE2w Bluetooth Headphones - Black
Bose ® AE2w Bluetooth Headphones - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!!, 4 Jun. 2013
Firstly let me say. I didn't buy these from Amazon. It said delivery of between 1 to 3 months!! No way I wanted them NOW!!

I have 2 Bose products, the soundock and the soundlink so I guess I am a bit bias towards Bose, No I don't work for them (unfortunately but I'm open to offers!!). I wanted some wireless headphones to take on holiday and when I last looked on Bose website they didn't do such a creature. I just happened to look again a couple of weeks ago and hey presto!! They had brought these new babies out! (must've known about my holiday!).

Prised Hubby of the sofa on Sunday and headed to the Bose store at Meadowhall. Located the Bose store and went in. The guys were very helpful. I had them on my head within 2 tics. He showed me how easy they were to set up. They sounded FANTASTIC!! They are not advertised as noise cancelling headphones but they do cut a lot of background noise out. Even the set of ming mong kids that live 2 doors down screaming was shut out!! That takes some doing (I know I've tried everything).

In a nutshell, they are an amazing bit of kit!!! The surround around the earpiece is very soft, they are comfortable. I know because never had them off since getting them. They sound brilliant to me. However, remember I'm someone who likes my own music and know when it sounds good. The only woofer I'm interested in is my Rottweiller, Taz. I dont know anything about the intriciacies of how music should sound. I only know mine sounds fantastic through Bose. I also know when my other half tried them I could not hear what he was playing (not a bad thing going by his taste in music!) so no baseline leakage. Which I hate when you can part hear someones music cos they've got crap headphones on!!

If your looking for brilliant sound and a comfortable fit and also the freedom to wander around without any wires these are just the job!!! Well done Bose.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2013 10:43 AM BST

Bose ® SoundLink® Wireless Mobile Speaker (Matte Finish with Dark Grey Nylon Cover) (discontinued by manufacturer)

5.0 out of 5 stars ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!, 25 Jun. 2012
I already have a bose sounddock in my bedroom that I use almost everyday with my ipod. My partner found the Bose Soundlink and thought it would be ideal for me so I could listen to my music wherever, whenever i wanted. I knew I would not be disappointed with this product it is a Bose after all! I certainly wasn't disappointed. The set up is easy peasy, the sound is just amazing. You haven't heard your music until you hear it through a Bose.

It looks stunning, I opted for the nylon cover simply because I couldn't justify the extra £50 for a leather cover. It doesn't affect the sound quality after all.

If you're looking for a neat, beautiful bit of kit to play your music on don't bother looking round at any others a Bose is by far the best speaker system there is. The quality of sound is absolutely second to none. In my humble opinion there isn't a better item on the market than a Bose.

Saved by Cake
Saved by Cake
by Marian Keyes

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a winner!, 4 April 2012
This review is from: Saved by Cake (Hardcover)
I bought this book as I too was intrigued, Marian Keyes and baking got to be a winner? Well let me tell you it is!! The book is a gorgeous book in it's own right.

Marian's old style is back in this book, she is honest and funny and it makes you laugh out loud. How many cookbooks do you know can do that? The whole book has been given the Keyes treatment and the introduction and the accompanying stories are in her usual style, which I love anyway. The pictures are gorgeous and the recipes so easy to follow. I did the coconut milk cake over the weekend, I didn't have a bundt cake tin which she used but the mixture did make two cakes, one in a loaf tin and one in a 9" round cake tin. Now let me tell you Paul Daniels couldn't have made it disappear any quicker! It turned out ab fab, one of the best cakes I've ever tasted and very easy to make. There is an optional glaze to go on the top and I only used half of it as I thought it might make the cake soggy instead of moist. Another heads up, I used powdered coconut milk and reconstituted it using 3 tablespoons of powder and 200ml of water for the cake and ditto for the topping (only half quantity though). I used that because I always have it in anyway. It was perfect. My three year old grandaughter ate 3 pieces without a thought yesterday.

I can't wait to try some more of the recipes in the book I might even try some of the more unusual ones too. Well done Marian, hope your doing Saved By Cake #2 soon.

Miss Masala
Miss Masala
by Mallika Basu

5.0 out of 5 stars This book rocks!, 18 Feb. 2012
This review is from: Miss Masala (Hardcover)
I've had this book for over a year now and love it! I'm an experienced cook where curries are concerned and have always turned to Madhur Jaffrey in time of need, when I want to make the perfect curry but find that Madhur isn't for the faint hearted. I was looking for an authentic Indian cookbook and stumbled upon this one.

It is a great book, the recipes are brilliant and work everytime. The Kerelan chicken is easy enough to make mid-week and equally special to make on weekends. The ingredients are readily available as most supermarkets now have ethnic food aisles. There are also hundreds of genuine asian shops around. Heads up here though. The aforementioned are the best way to buy spices DO NOT buy those little jars they are ridiculously priced in fact it's a scandal the price of the spices in those jars!

If your new to Indian cooking or just fancy a new curry book this one is great, the recipes are easy to follow without millions of ingredients.

Oh Great, Now I Can Hear Dead People! (The Oh Great Series Book 1)
Oh Great, Now I Can Hear Dead People! (The Oh Great Series Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 7 Feb. 2012
I've just finished reading this book and I loved it! It's funny, witty and a bit moving in parts. It's definately a chick-lit book, which I like to read when I don't want to read anything too deep or if I need cheering up. It's a great good fun book. If you want to laugh or even just raise a smile, read this book. If you're looking for enlightenment and the meaning of life this book isn't going to reveal it to you. If you're looking for a good read that will cheer you up then maybe this book is fo you. It's a very cheap price but well worth the money and will be looking out for other books by this author.

The Afterlife Club
The Afterlife Club

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing ending, 23 Jan. 2012
I enjoyed the beginning and the middle of this book. It was an interesting concept and different. In the beginning it was witty and quite fast paced. I thought I'm going to really enjoy this chick-lit. I did until about 2/3rds of the way through then I don't know if the author ran out of ideas or needed to get it finished for a deadline? Whatever the reason I thought the last couple of chapters were dire. I really got annoyed with it in the end. It was all over the place and I found myself losing interest pretty quickly. I'm still trying to fathom out where the book was going. I couldn't get to grips with one or two of the characters and felt that it didn't explain the whys and wherefores enough. I did like the main character and felt for her at first then she drove me bananas. This could easily have been a great book instead it was mediocre at best. Won't be reading anymore of this author's books unless they're free.

Morphy Richards Rapid Cook 48815 Digital Electric Pressure Cooker
Morphy Richards Rapid Cook 48815 Digital Electric Pressure Cooker

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!!, 5 Jan. 2012
I bought one of these products because my old (really old) pressure cooker was showing the signs of it's age and I thought it might be an idea to let it retire early as it had been a good friend to me and felt it deserved a long-earned rest. I have used my old pressure cooker every day more or less since I got it. I can't remember how long I've had my old pressure cooker but I think Noah used the same one on the Ark!

Anyway, I digress, I bought this one as Dunhelm Mills were offering it for £55.99 between xmas and the new year. The same price or cheaper than a "normal" pressure cooker. Anyway I liked the sound of this baby. I've got to say, when I got it I was rather surprised by the size of it, it's not a small appliance but then again neither is a standard pressure cooker. I had to have a shuffle round to fit it onto my worksurface but that was not bad thing either it needed a bit of a clear out anyway.

Sorry, digressing again. How about the product. Fantastic!!! So easy to use. If you can use a pressure cooker you can use this. Having said that, I did struggle with the lid for a time or two but that was me as I used to struggle with my old pressure cooker in the olden days. My first dish in it was Chilli, I browned the meat that took about 7 mins, easy peasy, then added my usual ingredients, put the lid on and set the timer for 15 mins. I did let the steam down on it's own as I was busy doing other things then added final bits and cooked again for 4 mins. It was perfect!!! Today I've done a whole chicken after browning I cooked for 35 mins, cooked to perfection. Moist yummy chicken and lovely stock in the bottom for the stuffing and gravy.

As I'm used to using a pressure cooker for almost everything I know damn well I will be getting every penny's worth out of this baby. I've even given away my much loved slow cooker as the rapid cook can do exactly the same just quicker. Set it going, forget about it and come back later, if you go out let it do it's thing your food won't be overcooked. just like a slow cooker or is it a fast slow cooker. Another thing, if you've ever used a pressure cooker before you'll be used to the hissing and steaming. You won't get any of that with this, it's so quiet I had to put my ear to it (not too close obviously) to make sure it was working. So anyone who's been frightened of getting a pressure cooker because they are scared of the hissing, get one of these your fears will be totally unfounded.

It is a fantastic product and would recommend it to anyone who's new to pressure cooking or an old hand. Love it, love it, love it!!

Can't wait to try some more of my tried and tested recipes with my Rapid Cook. Will let you know how I get on.

Shannon: Betrayed From Birth
Shannon: Betrayed From Birth

4.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable story - makes you think, 1 Jan. 2012
I was interested in reading this book as this tragedy happened not far away from where I live, and like most people I followed this story at the time.

I found this book fascinating. I wasn't perhaps the best written book I've ever read but very interesting to say the least. No the book didn't particularly reveal anything we hadn't read about in the newspapers at the time, but it was all put together in the correct timeline.

What I found most amazing was how these people dupped the police for so long. I know hindsight is a wonderful thing but it's pretty obvious from the start that Matthews and Donovan were not capable of thinking up such an elaborate plan. Without spoiling the book I think the truth is probably nearer the mark that she was using Donovan to move out of the family home and away from Meehan and then bottled out. Then it went too far. I think the reward money theory is a by-product of their actions and they saw it as a bonus to their plan.

I think there is a lot more to this story than has ever come out and there were more than Matthews and Donovan involved.

No the book doesn't dwell on Shannon and some could argue that she's the main character in the book. Yes she is but I think that Shannon's privacy is paramount here and she's been treated with respect and at the end of the day, the book is about the plan these two were meant to have concocted.

The book is less than the price of a magazine full of adverts so I thought it was well worth the money as I "enjoyed" it. That isn't the right word to use perhaps but did find that once I started reading it I couldn't put it down.

What it does question is definately the class divide that we definately have in this country and how people are treated differently in the press etc depending on "which side of the rails" they are from.

Breville VST025 Sandwich Press, Stainless Steel
Breville VST025 Sandwich Press, Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, 29 Dec. 2011
I bought one of these machines for my step-son and his girlfriend as they had just moved into their first home. I wanted to buy them something I knew they'd use, but being in their early 20's who eat a lot of fast food I wanted equally to buy them something that would be relatively easy to use.

Having read the reviews I opted for this one for them. As I read the reviews a light switched on in my head. Hey I thought my partner and I would use this we love toasted sandwiches and paninis. So I bought 2 obviously one for us.

It is a fantastic machine! Really quick to heat up and easy to clean. However, let me give you a heads-up at this point. What's it like for sandwiches? Fine does just what is says. We've used it for sandwiches a couple of times but the thing that it is absolutely fantastic for is bacon it cooks almost as quickly as it takes to boil the kettle and butter the bread. We've even tried venison steaks we bought from Aldi I was unsure how to cook them in the first instance it said fry in a pan but didn't want to do that so I thought hey give it a go on this machine. They came out perfect as did a couple of sirloin steaks. Browned on the outside and perfectly cooked in the middle! Easy to clean, just wipe down. It's easier to clean whilst still warm, if it does go cold just switch it back on for a few seconds then wipe down.

Only thing I would say though is if you do meat on it put some kitchen paper under to make cleaning your work surface a doddle too. Remember, this machine isn't primarily for cooking meat but it does such a fantastic job I can't help using it more for that LOL. So some drips on the worksurface is my fault not the machines! It's easier to clean than a grill pan. I even did some mushrooms on there yesterday to go on bacon sandwich then got really brave and chucked an egg on it. It was fine I let it cook a bit then closed the lid, this did burst the egg but I wanted it for a sandwich anyway so wanted it to burst. It was perfect. One other thing I did the other day was some king prawns for on top of a paella it cooked them perfect and literally in a minute.

So for the money this is a brilliant addition to the kitchen, it folds up and locks then stands up between my microwave and husky so doesn't take any cupboard space up anyway. Remember though to only use plastic/wooden implements on it if you want to keep it pristine.

As for sandwiches I'll let you know what they are like when I get round to using it for it's true intention LOL.

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant!, 28 Dec. 2011
The title of my review says it all! This is a fantastic piece of kit. Well worth the money! My other half bought me a Kindle for xmas after getting hint after hint (don't think he dare NOT buy me one lol).

I love it, it's everything I thought it would be. It's slim, lightweight and beautiful. It's simplicity itself to use. The choice of books are fantastic! I've notice people say that some are expensive, yes they are but there are hundreds and hundreds either free or under £1 which is cheaper than a weekend newspaper. It is small enough to go in my handbag and take everywhere with me.

I read almost every review that's been written about the Kindle and have noticed that those people that are giving it a low score are not complaining about the Kindle but are complaining more about Amazon themselves. That's not the point of reviewing the Kindle if they were taken out the score would be 5 stars across the board.

My only problem was logging onto my wi-fi and that was my fault for not remembering my password but retreived it from the internet so after that there was no problem at all.

Downloading is so easy I've just downloaded 7 books (5 of them free, the other 2 were £2.24 for 2 books) in under 5 minutes.

I used to read lots of books, I'd be panicking if I got down to my last 2 in the house. When going on holiday I always packed at least 5 for a weeks holiday and then I'd have to find a second hand book shop or hope that someone had left a couple behind at the hotel. Not anymore!!! I can take hundreds of books with me. I've even downloaded a couple of cookbooks, which I used to collect like most people read magazines. No they don't have pictures but in one way that is better as you are only cooking the food not trying to aspire to a photo that has probably been done by a 3 michelin star chef anyway and I'm never going to be that good.

If you like reading, whether it's on the way to work or an avid reader that reads constantly the Kindle is for you.

Again, one more gripe but again it isn't about the kindle is the cost of the "official" cover almost 60% of the cost of the Kindle, however, that said there are plenty of cheaper covers that will do the job very nicely.

One other thing, people complain about the kindle not having a back-light. Hello switch your bedside light on like you used to do when reading a paper book. In the word of the meerkats, simples!

If you are dithering about getting a Kindle just do it! You won't regret it and will wonder why you didn't do it sooner! My only dilemma now is which book to read first!

Page: 1 | 2