Profile for SiUK > Reviews

Legendary Hi Albums, The - Volume 1
Legendary Hi Albums, The - Volume 1
Price: 8.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Just gets better, 25 Jun 2011
There's so much here that it took me a while to get into these albums. I felt a bit swamped by soul, so it took me a while to get to the later albums which for me are the best. A bargain, and 'I'm still in love with you' is a wonderful album, worth it for the price alone.

Signed, Sealed And Delivered
Signed, Sealed And Delivered
Price: 8.17

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 9 Feb 2011
The best of Stevie's early albums, some truly fantastic songs on here. Some filler too, but even the filler's good.

Carl and the Passions "So Tough" / Holland
Carl and the Passions "So Tough" / Holland
Price: 12.62

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant surprise, 18 Aug 2010
I only bought this album because I was being completeist but I was very pleasantly surprised.

I'd previously bought their Wild Honey/Friends/20-20 albums and found them a bit disappointing but with some good moments - understandably the Beach Boys' albums fell off a bit of a cliff after Pet Sounds.

I'd avoided this and other 70s albums for a long time after reading lack-lustre reviews. Holland, in particular, however, I've had for 6 months now and I completely love it. It's a grown-up, laid-back Beach Boys, melodic and sentimental. The album has a great atmosphere, one of those you can listen to from beginning to end with much pleasure.

Not quite so keen on Carl & the Passions (hence 4 stars not 5) but it's definitely worth it as part of the package. It also feels like an album rather than a collection of singles. It's very emotional and creative, worth it to listen to a band trying to find a new direction.

I agree with the one-star review that this isn't for someone looking for the 'California Girls' Beach Boys but if you're looking for something different from them I'd give it a try. I put off buying this album because of mixed reviews but am very pleased that I eventually took the plunge.

Definitely wish Carl had had more input on later albums.