Profile for M. Sheleg > Reviews

Content by M. Sheleg

M. Sheleg "michal_sheleg" (London)

The Scarecrows' Wedding
The Scarecrows' Wedding
by Julia Donaldson
Price: 6.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Scarecrow fun, 6 Aug 2014
Lots of fun from this excellent duo.
Super message about love and also plainly discourages smoking. If the anti-smoking message escaped any parents then frankly they need to do a bit more reading themselves.

Bright Starts Alphabet Quilt Bouncer (Pink, Newborn+)
Bright Starts Alphabet Quilt Bouncer (Pink, Newborn+)
Price: 26.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Colourful and cheap but not very supportive, 8 Sep 2013
I got this for my newborn daughter. Colours are nice and its very reasonably priced. My main issue with it is that the main chair part has no padding, it's just one piece of material holding the baby and thus doesn't give much support. With hindsight I feel that the more padded bouncers on the market that retail for about twice the price are worth the extra that they cost.

Joules Madhatter Girls Wicker Moses Basket (White)
Joules Madhatter Girls Wicker Moses Basket (White)

3.0 out of 5 stars Lovely design but mattress a let down, 17 July 2013
The basket itself and the linens are lovely. The mattress however doesn't feel as supportive as it could be and has a plastic cover which obviously isn't ideal, can only assume it is to be waterproof but it feels horrible. Given the current heat wave my baby isn't keen on it so having to use a different one without plastic that provides more support. A shame as its otherwise a really nice quality product.

Good Night, Sleep Tight: Gentle, proven solutions to help your child sleep well and wake up happy
by Kim West
Price: 9.67

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful in some areas, less so in others, 21 Jan 2012
I bought this mostly out of desepration, as our 11 month old has never been a good sleeper and we were reaching the end of our tether.

Prior to this I had also read 'The No-Cry Sleep Solution' as I am not a fan of Controlled Crying or leaving a child to 'Cry it Out'. That book also has some good suggestions, but I'd say this one takes a firmer approach, which may or may not work for you. This did mean I had something to compare it to. Neither book is perfect but they both helped me to a degree.

One of the things I noticed is that while there is a small section on 'sleep basics' it doesn't go into that much detail. The other book describes sleep cycles in much more detail. I personally think the more you know, the better equipped you are to tackle a situation.

What is helpful is that the author gives a general grounding in sleep and then refers you to the section of the book relating to your child's age, so you don't have to go through sections that are not relevant to you. She offers her sleep system, a way of getting your baby to fall asleep without needing their sleep crutch (though I would have liked more detail about how long you are supposed to stay in the room). I am currently trying it in a slightly adapted form, and it seems to be working.

She also provides case studies of people she has worked with and how she advised them to tackle their particular problem, often where the child's sleep issue was quite ingrained and complex. A great addition to the book as you may well find yourself familiar with that particular problem.

What the author hasn't offered in enough detail is explanations as to why a child may wake at the same time every night and what to do if they are simply inconsolable. I don't know about you, but regardless of how much 'shushing' I do, if my baby is screaming I don't have much choice but to pick him up and try to determine if he is in pain or has experienced a nightmare, is hungry, etc etc. I am not saying that I expect the author to cover every single eventuality, but this is a pretty common thing amongst the 9-12 month age group and she focuses more on not allowing baby to nurse to sleep or be rocked, but if these are not the issues, your child doesn't have a dummy, and won't accept a 'lovey', it doesn't leave you with much!

West stresses consistency (not reverting to your old ways) which, although perfectly reasonable in theory, is very much harder to do at 2am when you yourself can barely see straight. Because of this and because everyone is different, I have decided to not to regard any one baby sleep book as a 'bible'. Some things will work, some wont. You just have to do the best you can to survive!

It's not a bad book at all, but in my opinion could be more detailed in some areas.

Philip Kingsley Flaky Itchy Scalp Shampoo
Philip Kingsley Flaky Itchy Scalp Shampoo
Offered by TheHairShop
Price: 22.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Itchy scalp no more!, 25 May 2009
From first use really felt a difference in my scalp. The shampoo lathers well but doesnt feel heavy like some others. No scent so neutral on that front. A bit expensive but then it does the job, so worth every penny.
Great product!

Justified
Justified
Offered by DVD Overstocks
Price: 4.94

4.0 out of 5 stars The boy done good, 15 April 2003
This review is from: Justified (Audio CD)
I was very unsure that I would find much to like about this album after hearing Like I Love You played constantly on mainstream radio, but that was before Cry Me A River was released. I completely changed my mind. As an album, Justified has an equal (more or less) amount of upbeat as well as slow, smooth tunes depending on your mood. One thing's for sure, Mr. Timberlake has bags and bags of talent; his voice is spared on few songs and shines on most, notably Cry Me a River, Senorita and What You Got, which I personally feel are the strongest tracks. Rock Your Body will prove to be a huge club hit when released if not for anything else then for the somewhat arrogant if sexy line "better have you naked by the end of this song", in much the same way that the line "I am gettin so hot I wanna take my clothes off" from Hot in Herre was a club hit for Nelly. There is also a fair amount of diversity on the album, despite Justin's post-N*Sync move into Hip-Hop/RnB; Bubba Sparx features as well as the Neptunes and adds a funky southern feel to Right For Me. One disappointment is the fact that Work It, released with Nelly, is not included on the album; it would have been even better. All in all a sexy, smooth dose of R&B that will please most mainstream fans. Should come with a warning: If you like Britney, you soon won't!

This Is Me...Then
This Is Me...Then
Price: 4.91

2.0 out of 5 stars A huge disappointment, 31 Jan 2003
This review is from: This Is Me...Then (Audio CD)
To be honest I have listened to this album a few times now and it's just bland. It doesn't even begin to compare with JLO or J to tha L-O: the remixes. The only standout tracks are 'Jenny from the Block' and 'All I Have', both of which are, not surprisingly, releases. 'Jenny' as she now refers to herself, really seems to have lost the magic she had with Ja Rule on the 'I'm real' remix or on the 'Aint it Funny' remix, both of which were absolute gems, as was 'Gonna be Alright', with Nas. She may have found happiness with Ben Affleck but her music has suffered for it; every song seems to be an endless declaration of her love for him, which is all well and good but after a while is just tired. La Lopez also seems to have lost the passion she had for dancey, upbeat tunes, especially where Latino sounds are concerned (this album has none). All in all, if you're a fan, save yourself the money and just buy the singles.

Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book (Beginner Books)
Dr. Seuss's Sleep Book (Beginner Books)
by Dr. Seuss

5.0 out of 5 stars A childrens classic, 24 Jan 2003
My little brother (age 4) adores this book and so do i ( I'm 19). It makes going to bed lots of fun; the characters are imaginative and the rhyming is genius!! Its not easy to make a child want to go to bed but Dr.Seuss's books work every time and this one is one of the best. BUY IT, your children will love going to bed.

No Angel
No Angel
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK
Price: 2.75

5.0 out of 5 stars Good lyrics, good voice, great songs- buy it now, 22 May 2001
This review is from: No Angel (Audio CD)
I initially bought this album for my mum but since she never gets time to listen to it, I decided to give it a listen. I have to say I'm really impressed with it. Dido's voice is soft, calm and floats from note to note with little difficulty. The songs themselves seemed similar to each other the first time I listened but I persevered and now they stand out strongly from each other because they all have different messages or stories behind them. One of the best things about this album is that you can either play it quietly as gentle music to chill to or play it louder while reading the lyrics and immerse yourself in it; it sounds briliant either way. As a dedicated R&B/Hip Hop fan I wasn't sure I'd like this all that much but I love it. If you're thinking of buying it, do so with an open mind and you won't be disappointed.

Agia Napa - Fantasy Island
Agia Napa - Fantasy Island
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 5.96

4.0 out of 5 stars hmm a bit hyped but not bad at all, 30 Jun 2000
I bought this when uk underground garage was just starting to become commercial- not such a great thing in my opinion. However, the CD does feature the big tunes of late 99, early y2k and a few golden oldies from back in the day (namely 'I don't smoke', etc). The mixing is much better than some I've heard but not all the tunes are the absolute best- several tracks by the Artful Dodger have been snuck in, and admittedly, they're not as good as 'Rewind'. All in all, pretty good, the only disappointment being the lack of solid, top tunes like 'Poison', 'Tell me It's Real' generally not enough RnB-style garage (my personal fave), but definitely appetizing. 'Pure Garage' is also a top cd for all garage/RnB fans.