Profile for Jason Whitelock > Reviews

Content by Jason Whitelock

Jason Whitelock (Brighton, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Streetwize SWWL2 Wheel Clamps Claw Style- Yellow/Red
Streetwize SWWL2 Wheel Clamps Claw Style- Yellow/Red
Offered by Motionperformance - Waxacar

4.0 out of 5 stars Good as deterrent!, 18 April 2015
As many caravan insurance companies require both a hitch lock and wheel clamp, I picked this up and it was a deterrent and cheap / cheerful! It certainly does look authentic on the wheel - whilst I would not really consider it secure (I am sure if someone REALLY wanted what it was attached to it would not be difficult to remove) it at least shows there is protection!

Packaging was minimal, along with instructions, but it's pretty straightforward to use. Also comes with 3 keys.

A4 Vinyl Self Adhesive Sheets x 20. Any colours. Crafts, art, robo craft
A4 Vinyl Self Adhesive Sheets x 20. Any colours. Crafts, art, robo craft
Offered by GreenStar Group

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality Vinyl sheets!, 22 Mar. 2015
Good quality sheets - even better that the seller offers the ability to pick and choose colour required!

SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Silver/Black
SoundMAGIC E10 Earphones - Silver/Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Would happily pay more for these!, 20 Feb. 2015
These headphones are stunning for this price bracket!

Having come from a trusty pair which broke down on me after 3 years of heavy use (in the £150 range), I was looking for a "cheaper" pair to tide me over whilst I saved up for something else - no need! These have now become my daily use ear buds!

Coming from any other headphones you are used to, there are always differences, but it's usually a matter of time to adjust. That said I do like ear buds that are tighter with music control, and are even - these fit the bill very well! If anything, I would say these are not as bright (treble) as my old pair, but now I am used to this it does not concern me. Everything is well balanced, and sounds great despite my wide listening variety!

There is a great selection of silicone tips with these, however I recently discovered the Comply foam tips - which go wonderfully and I would recommend to anyone that has these!

6x Screen Protector for Motorola Moto 360 - Crystal-Clear Glossy Bubble-Free
6x Screen Protector for Motorola Moto 360 - Crystal-Clear Glossy Bubble-Free
Offered by protectionfilms24-com

4.0 out of 5 stars getting a smart watch I did not want this to suffer the ..., 20 Feb. 2015
Having seen the abuse my normal watches have been put to in the past, getting a smart watch I did not want this to suffer the same fate, or worst lessen it's capabilities by knocking it into something!

These screen protectors have certainly helped do that. They are clear when you place them on the watch, and only show slightly around the edges, but have certainly helped my display stay unharmed - even with the protectors taking some punishment!

That said - You can see why you get 5 in a pack, I am now on the 3rd in probably 6 months, which is mainly due to scratches, or it getting caught and lifting on garments.

These seem to be the most recommended / purchased for the Moto 360, and I would agree they certainly bring me some peace of mind, without detracting from the watches looks!

John Adams Hot Wires Electronics Kit
John Adams Hot Wires Electronics Kit
Offered by Smart Games Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Son was hooked on it! I enjoyed it too!, 20 Feb. 2015
I bought this on a whim for my son, who loves building things, and with my love of things electrical I thought this would be a great introduction for him! I was right, it had him hooked from the start, even along with his niece who was just as drawn to it!

Great product, is study for kids, and is opening his mind to do things other than just the circuits in the book!

The only thing I would say is missing from this, is an explanation of what each of the components do. It does a good job at explaining the circuits, but could do better at how the individual components make that happen.

Aurora 7W GU10 High Power LED Light Bulbs Cool White 4000k 50W Equivalent (3 Year Guarantee)
Offered by Lights4u

5.0 out of 5 stars No more frequent halogen changes!, 20 Feb. 2015
I was getting tired of going through countless halogen bulbs in our kitchen, it seemed to almost be a game of whack-a-mole!

Seeing these were rated well, I decided to try these. This was my first foray into LED lighting, as I have previously read plenty of negatives about either the brightness, throw or colour of these in the past.

None of the above is a problem for these. We have 4 of them installed in an adjustable light bar, and the light intensity is fantastic. As others had recommended getting a bright white for the kitchen, we went with these and were instantly impressed with how much the kitchen had been lit up, and the throw of these was easily matching the traditional halogens we were used to!

These have most certainly solidified my desire into getting more LED lights around the house! I am most pleased with the quality of these - let alone the energy saving from 160W to 28W of electricity!

They have been in place now for some time, and still look as bright as the day I purchased them. I am glad I spent a little more to get something that works well and should last too.

Anker® [6-Pack] Premium 1ft Micro USB Cables High Speed USB 2.0 A Male to Micro B Sync and Charge Cables for Android, Samsung, HTC, Motorola, Nokia and More (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Great when you don't need a mass of cable to trail around!, 20 Feb. 2015
These are very good quality cables, and are great when you don't need the masses of spare cable trailing around! Works with everything I have connected to it, and have noticed a faster charge time with some devices!

If there was anything I could ask for in these cables, is that Anker brought out a length between this and the next size up!

Also very nice to see it in a fully recyclable packaging too! Including the wraps to hold the cables together was from card rather than those frustrating twist ties!

Canon LP-E6 PREMIUM Replacement Rechargeable Camera Battery (100% COMPATIBLE) from Dot.Foto - with Dot.Foto InfoChip - 7.4v / 1600mAh - 2 Year Warranty [See Description for Compatibility]
Offered by PowerPlanet UK - typ. 5-7 working days

5.0 out of 5 stars Just like an original!, 20 Feb. 2015
Canon official batteries carry quite the premium, but after reading the reviews on how so many found this battery to be as good as the original. I decided to indulge, and glad I had - this is as good, if not better than my original battery.

Everything registers into the camera just fine, like an official battery, and charges just the same too. Thanks for making such such a quality item much more affordable!

Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control
Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote Control

4.0 out of 5 stars Glad to have upgraded, 20 Feb. 2015
Having been a Harmony user for a long time, our old trusty remote was really starting to show it's age with the screen showing lines, and the buttons becoming hard to press / battery shortening life.

I picked this up in an Amazon lightning deal, and it's become a very impressive and useful tool! The level of customisation and personalisation you can make to this is fantastic!

Before I get into each part of the puzzle, it's worth noting that all the configuration was imported right away from my old remote, and with a few tweaks and customisation to this I was well on our way.

The remote itself
----------------------
The feel of it in your hand is very nice, it feels very well balanced and poised, so you do not expect it to go tumbling out of your hands easy - made better still by the grippy texture on the back. It's got all the ports etc. covered up now, so makes it more sleek and streamlined.
Buttons are well laid out, and have a good feel to them.
The screen is brighter, clearer and simple to use / touch. The swiping acts just like a phone would, so there is no lag in using the display.
No need to point at the TV - We got so used to carefully placing the old remote down pointing at the devices it was operating when starting an activity or turning off, that it's nice not to have to worry about that with this remote!
Battery lie is fantastic! Rarely have to charge it, and when you do, it's a nice docking station which keeps it upright, and uses gravity to keep it on the charging pins (the old remote required cleaning occasionally as the contacts would get dirty and not charge.

Base unit
-------------
This great piece of kit is awesome! The power of the infrared it uses to control devices is just mind blowing, where as with our old remote you had to place it in certain places, this is sitting beneath most of the controlled devices and yet still controls everything first time, without fail. Usually better than the original remotes!

It was very simple to setup, you have a choice of doing it through a smart device (Android / iOS) or PC, so that's easy to get going. It connects to your Wi-Fi in the house to enable you to control the unit using a phone or tablet too!

One extra neat thing with this is the bluetooth support. This means you can control a PlayStation, Wii, and it can also (with your smartphone) emulate a bluetooth keyboard to a computer or media centre device - This is pretty cool to allow searching, and stick to controlling a single device.

Whilst I do not have any of the technology it supports, it can also control home automation equipment, like the Nest, Belkin WeMo etc. I have home automation based on 433Mhz / Wireless. It would be great to get this support, but I cannot ask for everything!

Phone / Tablet App
-------------------------
This is very cool... No longer do I need to be in the room to control things! Particularly when you have children who only seem to use the Volume Up button!!!
The best part about the smartphone app is the versatility - You can completely change the layouts of activities and devices to just how you like, so you can get all the useful buttons on 1 page. Sometimes can be a bit strange flicking back and forward, but it still works well considering!

I have seen others who have uncovered the communication method this uses, so I would love to take advantage of this in my home automation activities, or better still enable some functionality on my smart watch (Logitech - unless you can get a Android Wear integrated app going!!)

Configuration
------------------
As I am used to using the old Harmony software, I opted to configure my device via this route. The new MyHarmony software is vastly improved to make configuring the device much easier, no more clicking to drag items through ordered lists etc.
The only negative I would say is with the software - that it is using Microsoft Silverlight, which is on its way to the Microsoft burial ground. Not only that but using the app on my Macbook drains my battery life like crazy! If I am using the app I will literally get 1/4 of the battery life I usually do. I do hope that Logitech see's the way forward to something other than using Silverlight, and keeps the additional powerful functions they have added.

Anker 40W 5-Port USB Car Charger with PowerIQ Technology for iPhone 6 5; iPad Air 2, mini 3; Galaxy S6 / S6 Edge S5; Note 4 3; Nexus 6 9 and More (White)
Offered by AnkerDirect

4.0 out of 5 stars Will never run out of USB ports in the car now!, 20 Feb. 2015
Anker does another quality product! Works great in the car for charging up all manner of devices, and happily handles anything you throw at it.

Also nice that it comes with a sticky pad to mount it on your dashboard somewhere.

Page: 1 | 2