Profile for Neil B > Reviews

I Want Your Love [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jesse Metzger
Offered by fat_buddha

2.0 out of 5 stars No love lost, 18 Aug. 2013
This review is from: I Want Your Love [DVD] (DVD)
This appears to be one of those films that pegs everything on its main gimmick - in this case, real (though still at times partly obscured) gay sex. It's not particularly erotic or even that interesting, so we're left waiting for it to finish in order to get some plot. But there's not much going. I expect that plot isn't the point of this, and it's all meant to be character studies, although I'm not convinced this side of it works either. I didn't really care for any of them (though Ben showed signs of promise).

I'm more kindly disposed towards Shortbus, one of the other films with real sex. Maybe it's because, although it felt a bit of a mess, there was actual character progression there (from what I remember of it). Here, the only progression is that someone agrees to a threesome. The main character mopes through the whole thing (except when he's having - or almost having - joyless sex).

On the positive side, the unknown actors are mostly naturalistic and convince as real people. But ultimately I found this dull and unaffecting.