Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Waterproof walking gaiters gators hiking climbing camping
Waterproof walking gaiters gators hiking climbing camping
Offered by Tcity

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Breathable, 9 July 2014
I know it's a bit harsh to give a negative review for such a cheap product but this is one of those "In retrospect I could have paid more" purchases.
My main gripe is that these have absolutely no breathability whatsoever. From a few hours of light walking my calves/shins become noticeably damp, and when you take them off there's loads of condensation that's built up. I don't think they're really been built from material intended for clothing, and in hindsight would have paid 3 times as much for a pair that actually keep your legs drier than without.

Kensington Comfort Foam Keyboard Wrist Rest - Black
Kensington Comfort Foam Keyboard Wrist Rest - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Rest- Poor packaging, 20 Jun. 2014
Not a huge amount to say really. Seems to be a decently constructed foam keyboard rest, pretty good length.

Disappointed to see quite a lot of people complaining that it's uncomfortably thick (it's not): if you look at proper keyboard posture, your wrists should be held a good couple of inches off the desk and this rest definitely helps with that. If you have good typing habits this thing is great, if you don't, it might help with that.

Only complaint to Amazon is that mine came comically over-packaged; see photo.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Character options  Sea Monkeys Ocean Zoo
Character options Sea Monkeys Ocean Zoo
Offered by Mytoyfactory

2.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't include a pipette, 13 Jun. 2014
At the time of writing, the description says that a pipette is included. It isn't.

Since the seller's charging more than others for this identical set I think this is very poor. Might seem petty, but false advertising is false advertising.

20 Pairs of Howard Leight Laser Lite Ear Plugs
20 Pairs of Howard Leight Laser Lite Ear Plugs
Offered by Tiger Blue

4.0 out of 5 stars No more trips to the chemists for me, 14 May 2013
I received exactly 20 individually-wrapped pairs of ear plugs. They're a great shape and more comfortable than some ear-plugs, easy to insert and very effective at blocking out sound (so good they actually reminded me I have tinnitus!)
The only complaint I can make is that they're (deliberately) distinctive. Good if you're obliged to wear them for work, not so great if you want to subtly wear them in clubs on a night out...

I feel like a wally for buying plugs from the chemist for 4 times the price! A God-send for exam times. Would recommend.

BRAND NEW 2 x PAIRS BLACK SHOE TREES - SIMPLE WAY TO KEEP YOUR SHOES IN SHAPE - FOR MEN & WOMEN SHOES - FITS ALL

3.0 out of 5 stars Not so great for men, 14 May 2013
I'm fairly pleased with these basic shoe trees, but was a bit dismayed to find that the toe part is more sized for women's shoes than males. I'm only a size 8, and the trees don't really apply any stretch to the toe-box of my shoes (so they're not ideal for stretching creases out of leather shoes).
They do, however, give the shoe good vertical shape. I just bought them to stop my canvas shoes from looking too sad and droopy, and they fulfil that role well enough.

Not bad, but slightly cheeky to call them unisex I'd say.

Zippo Brushed Chrome Lighter Z200
Zippo Brushed Chrome Lighter Z200
Offered by Sellercontor

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a Zippo., 4 May 2013
This review is from: Zippo Cigarette Lighter (Sports)
Not much to add on top of what others are saying:
It certainly seems to be a genuine Zippo (not that you'd really expect a fake one at this price). Mine was manufactured mere months ago so the seller definitely seems to have a decent turnover and isn't just selling old ones!

Note that it doesn't come with fluid (or spare flints) so you'll have to order that separately.

Dylon Wash & Dye Black Machine Dye Fabric Large 350G
Dylon Wash & Dye Black Machine Dye Fabric Large 350G
Offered by JMHWholesalers

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleased with results: But a note on jeans and -ve reviews..., 8 Feb. 2013
I used this product to dye some grey carrot jeans black. A combination of fading/distress, and the fact that dark jeans are in at the moment made we want to experiment with dying for the first time, and I hope to upload some pictures with this review.

I gave the jeans a soak in oxy-action and a wash before, dried, then simply put them in the machine with the packet as directed and ran a 40C cotton cycle. Nothing else, not even water softener, and the salt is included.

Faded jeans:
I'm pleased with the results. The jeans have come out black whilst the stitches, as I'd hoped, remained grey giving an awesome contrast stitching that I probably would have paid quite a bit for in the shops. However, distressed areas of the jeans are drying to a slight 'yellowy' hue. Still black, albeit not 'jet' black, but slightly off all the same. I expect with a bit of fresh fading they'd look fine. I'd just like to point out that if you're dyeing faded and distressed jeans, you should NOT expect the dye to work miracles on distressed areas. From my A-levels I recall that dyes are actually a stubborn and confusing branch of chemistry. If cotton fibres are battered and bleached to the point where they lose their original dye particles, you cannot expect them to accept dye particles as good as new when you re-dye.
I would like to point out that the protected inside surfaces of the jeans are perfectly and uniformly velvet black. This emphasises my point that any issues are really down to the fabric rather than the dye.
Basically what I'm saying is: People complaining that dye "needs to be stronger" or "didn't work even though I used two packets" are somewhat misunderstanding how dye works. It's dye, not paint.

Machine afterwards:
The instructions tell you to do a full 40 cycle after. I was a bit cheeky and did a 15 minute cycle. This was enough to clean the machine out fine. I did a quick wipe of the door lining (barely enough dye left over to dye the tiny square of tissue). I'll do doing a dark load next, but can't agree with complaints that this stuff somehow dyes machines permanently... The first rinse cylce alone practically cleaned any excess dye out the machine!!

Longevity:
Unfortunately I can't yet comment of whether the dye survives future washes but hope to update: I'm a bit of a denim snob now and refrain from washing jeans for weeks to months (if your first reaction to that was "eww" I'd urge you to do some reading and spare your jeans unnecessary fading in future! Jeans hold odours about as well as they hold colours).

Bottom line:
If you're dying shirts, upholstery etc. I have no problem recommending this stuff. If you're dying jeans, this stuff can give them a new lease of life, but make sure you understand the limitations of dye. Finally, note that dyeing jeans will get rid of the contrast stitching (i.e. blue one side, white the other) if they're 100% cotton, but the seams (i.e. around pockets) will most likely be polyester and not be dyed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 26, 2015 1:57 PM GMT

Chapelwood Storage Container
Chapelwood Storage Container

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for Homebrewers - Lid didn't fit properly, 17 Jan. 2013
I purchased this as a fermentation vessel for homebrewing. If any other brewers are considering this then: Yes, this is exactly the same food-grade bucket sold as 25L fermentation vessels right down to the manufacturer, at a third of the cost.

It's not a major concern for me but the lid supplied did not clip down on the bucket properly, so I had to use the lid that came with another bucket.

Yellowstone Drinks Bottle - Silver, 0.75 Litre
Yellowstone Drinks Bottle - Silver, 0.75 Litre
Offered by 1-Klick-Versand

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok for gym, disappointing overall, 16 Jan. 2013
The straw function of this bottle causes quite a few issues.

Initially, the plastic straw within the bottle imparts quite a strong 'plastic' flavor to water within an hour or so, which I'd hoped to avoid with a metal one! After a month or so this is no longer an issue.

Secondly, the straw is not well slealed. It yields little water to a considerable inhalation, and makes a very noisy and antisocial slurping noise! I find I have to push the red straw down into the lid with some force to actually create a good enough seal to use it.

Finally, joint of the straw seems to ooze water a little. Not much but I'm worried it'll get worse with time and don't carry the bottle with my papers if it's full!

I'm glad I got this over using plastic water bottles, but can't really recommend this product over others out there.

Mead Lindisfarne / 70cl
Mead Lindisfarne / 70cl
Offered by UK ONLINE

3.0 out of 5 stars Very pleasant - But pyment, not mead!, 16 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Mead Lindisfarne / 70cl (Wine)
Rich, lightly spiced, and enjoyable at all temperatures: I can't fault this drink on flavor.

However (as much as I hate to agree with the overthetop negative review) this is not really mead, but a blend of white wine and honey. This is not made very apparent, and in exporting the product to the US they've actually had to legally change the name!
You may or may not care about this, but as a budding home-meadmaker I'd hoped to try a traditional mead, not a wine, and was disappointed having paid a lot for it.

But as I say, I can't fault the taste. The price does reflect the taste though hence a three star review overall.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 4, 2013 6:04 PM BST