Profile for Jane > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Three Wishes
Three Wishes
by Liane Moriarty

5.0 out of 5 stars This is such a good novel. It has a gripping plot, 23 April 2016
This review is from: Three Wishes (Paperback)
This is such a good novel . It has a gripping plot, realistic and likeable characters and it is also insightful and moving.
This is the third Lianne Moriarty novel I have read and while I have enjoyed them all, this is my favourite so far.
I only discovered her by accident - picked up 'The Husband's Secret' in a hurry for a holiday read. The covers make them
look lightweight, but while they are definitely page-turners, her novels are also intelligent, witty and thought-provoking.
They would make great TV series - maybe this has already happened in Australia?

Frailty [DVD]
Frailty [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bill Paxton
Offered by MEDIA-MOST-WANTED

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor directing., 28 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Frailty [DVD] (DVD)
Watched this with 3 other people and we all felt it just didn't work . Acting is not awful but it just doesn't convince. I didn't find it scary because it is too silly. Poor directing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 3, 2016 3:05 AM BST

A4 Rotary Paper Trimmer
A4 Rotary Paper Trimmer

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor quality, 31 Oct. 2015
Flimsy cutter. Mine doesn't work properly after 2 weeks. Very poor quality

Lazaretto
Lazaretto

3.0 out of 5 stars somewhat disappointing, 22 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Lazaretto (Audio CD)
I loved Blunderbuss, most of The White Stripes catalogue and a lot of Dead Weather. I have listened
to this a lot, wanting to find more tracks to like, but I really only like 4 of them - Lazaretto, Would you fight for my love (my favourite), High Ball Stepper and That Black Bat Licorice. These 4 tracks I love but I think the other tracks are
mostly very average countryish songs and as a whole I think this album is disappointing and not a patch on Blunderbuss.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2014 1:42 PM BST

Gone Girl
Gone Girl
by Gillian Flynn

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to the hype, 1 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Gone Girl (Paperback)
This is quite a good thriller but in my opinion does not live up to the hype. Also because the two main characters
are so unpleasant I really didn't care what happened. If you want to read a better thriller where you care
about the characters, I would suggest Sharon/SJ Bolton.

The Risk of Darkness: Simon Serrailler Book 3
The Risk of Darkness: Simon Serrailler Book 3
by Susan Hill

5.0 out of 5 stars Really good crime novel and interesting characters, 24 Feb. 2013
I have now read 4 of the Simon Serailler novels - started at 6 and then went back to the beginning! The characters and current social issues discussed (such as old age, problems with the health service and complementary medicine) are as much a part of the novels as the actual crimes.

Most of the characters are interesting and 3 dimensional and you learn more about them as the series progresses. Sometimes the story of the actual crime will span across different novels.

They are great, if, like me, you like crime/thrillers novels with depth. I'm really looking forward to starting the 4th novel in the series.

SanDisk Sansa Clip+ 4GB MP3 Player with Radio and Expandable MicroSD/SDHC Slot - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent and good value, 24 Feb. 2013
this little mp3 player has very good sound quality and is very easy to upload. Also good value for money.

Perfect People
Perfect People

4.0 out of 5 stars really good, thought provoking thriller, 3 July 2012
This review is from: Perfect People (Kindle Edition)
Really enjoyed this - it is a great page-turner, whilst also making you think about current scientific issues. I found the emotional responses of the parents in the book very convincing too. Another positive is that the plot is not predictable. It is hard to say anything about the plot without giving spoilers!

Personally I much prefer Peter James's stand-alone novels to the Roy Grace series, which are good, but also similar to lots of other detective series. If you enjoyed this and haven't read his earlier stand-alone novels, try 'Sweet Heart' or 'Host'.

Soul Is Heavy
Soul Is Heavy

5.0 out of 5 stars another fantastic album from Nneka, 13 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Soul Is Heavy (Audio CD)
Yet another fantastic album from the wonderful, soulful and underrated Nneka. I think overall this is probably her best album yet. It is a mixture of mostly soul, reggae, rap and afrobeat. Tracks I like best are 'Sleep', 'Valley','Do you love me now'
and 'soul is heavy'. The production is excellent and Nneka has great backing musicians. It would have been great to have had a live version of VIP as the recorded version is not as powerful, but basically this is a brilliant album.

No Longer at Ease
No Longer at Ease

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic and unique album, 13 Sept. 2009
This review is from: No Longer at Ease (Audio CD)
I absolutely love this album - I find it hard to express how good it is. Sadly and unforgivably it was hardly reviewed in the british music press when it came out a couple of weeks ago. It's frustrating that when there is so much mediocre music around, someone with such talent appears to be off the radar of most music journalists.

Nneka is an amazing talent - great songs and fantastic voice with a real depth of emotion to it that grips your heart. The songs are really varied - mix of hiphop, soul, reggae, drum and bass and more that somehow all hangs together. She defies definition but in a good way.

My favourite songs on the album at the moment are 'Heartbeat' (a single), 'Come with Me' (deceptively simple folk song), 'Halfcast' (angry hiphop) and 'Focus' (kind of rock song).

BUY THIS ALBUM IT IS AMAZING! Her first album 'Victim of Truth' is brilliant too.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4