ARRAY(0xafa429a8)

Profile for Mrs. Gillian Weidmann > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Gillian W...

Mrs. Gillian Weidmann "the real book company" (northumberland)

Page: 1 | 2
Tefal Rk302e15 8-in-1 Cooker - Slow Cooker, Steamer, Rice Cooker, Porridge Maker (2012 Model)
Price: 54.99

5.0 out of 5 stars will cook anything, 18 April 2014
It really is as good as everyone says and though I did not buy mine from amazon I have come here to ask a question of all those cognoscenti who did. How come no condensation collects in the cup at the back and instead collects around the rim of the seal? Is this a fault? It doesn't seem to affect how well everything cooks in the thing.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 18, 2014 12:24 PM BST

Familiar
Familiar
Price: 4.12

2.0 out of 5 stars poorly crafted, 26 Sep 2013
This review is from: Familiar (Kindle Edition)
Did no-one ever tell the author not to introduce characters with a full personal history attached.It's as if he has written up his notes.

I am getting tired of reviews in respectable broadsheets pumping up poor writing. I came to this book from a Guardian review I thought I could trust.

Krups ProAroma FMD395C5 Filter Coffee Machine - Stainless Steel Front - 1.25 Litres
Offered by Luzern
Price: 59.03

1.0 out of 5 stars Chemical taint mars coffee, 31 July 2013
Previous experience with Krups coffee maker was positive, so we opted for this one, especially as it still uses filter papers. Despite following instructions to do a dummy run with water before brewing, the coffee produced had a distinct chemical taint to it. This persisted through half-a-dozen brews. Finally ran through with water alone, and the resulting hot water still had the same taint. Using same coffee and water from same source (kitchen tap) in a different filter coffee machine produced coffee with no discernible taint. Apart from spoiling our enjoyment of our coffee, we were also concerned about a potential health hazard. The supplier, Southern Energy (who we have given a 5-star rating) readily agreed to collect the machine and arrange a refund.

Since the most likely source of the taint was in one of the the plastics in contact with the coffee, it is difficult to see how this problem could just affect a single example of the product.

The Shock of the Fall
The Shock of the Fall
by Nathan Filer

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish writing, 26 Jun 2013
This review is from: The Shock of the Fall (Hardcover)
Like the reviewer who queried the authenticity of the voice, I query the authenticity of the other reviews.

If you like Mark Haddon, I promise you, you will burn this.
Comment Comments (11) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2014 3:46 AM GMT

The Flame Alphabet
The Flame Alphabet
by Ben Marcus
Price: 6.79

5.0 out of 5 stars poetry concealed in a prose format with a compelling plot. Outstanding, 16 May 2013
This review is from: The Flame Alphabet (Paperback)
I am amazed by the talent of this man and am humbled by it. I am equally amazed that some rednecks here have the chutzpah to dismiss this work.

It has to be one of the best pieces of prose I have ever read.

Buy it. Support this guy. I got the book out of my library but I am going to stock up on his other work now.

Chimney Balloon Kit (Medium) for Chimneys up to 24"x12"/60cmx30cm + FREE TUBE
Chimney Balloon Kit (Medium) for Chimneys up to 24"x12"/60cmx30cm + FREE TUBE
Offered by Plumbing Supermarket
Price: 21.11

5.0 out of 5 stars A great product, 28 Feb 2013
The chimney balloon is a great energy-saving product. It is easy to install, if you don't mind a bit of soot and plaster dust (my husband doesn't!), and remains inflated over a long period. It arrived promptly.

[sic]
[sic]
by Joshua Cody
Price: 14.36

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, inventive writing. Shocking, but not a misery memoir., 12 Sep 2012
This review is from: [sic] (Hardcover)
You need to be able 'get' this writing which I thought at first was just another poor pitch for Sebald's Germanic romanticism. But Cody swiftly moves beyond that and finds his own voice. Then his writing follows the cadenzas, crescendos, diminuendos etc of music and is just as exhilarating and shocking as music can be...to the whole system.

There is reckless high living in the valley of the shadow of death. This is high impact prose. In particular, the piece luxuriating in the beauty of a woman before then exposing the terrible mutilations of surgery entirely without warning, stayed with me. This is writing that rips at the veil of Isis. It is still raw and needs more editing and crafting, but it is stunningly original.

The Fading
The Fading
by Christopher Ransom
Price: 5.59

2.0 out of 5 stars poor pastiche of stephen king, 28 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Fading (Paperback)
This is a case of a brilliant idea but written up poorly in a folksy sub stephen king style which I (even as as a SK fan) found grating. The padding means that first you begin to skip paragraphs, then pages...then chapters. At that point I abandoned the effort). I guess he sketched the idea on one side of A4 then had to turn that into a whole book. Because that is how it reads, stereotypical characters not at all developed, so you don't really care what happens to any of them. I stuck with it because I liked the idea and thought the plot might be able to drive it...but no plot development either, at least not as far as I got. An abuse of the wallet. Leave it on the shelf.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2013 9:32 PM GMT

Tigers in Red Weather
Tigers in Red Weather
by Liza Klaussmann
Price: 8.00

2.0 out of 5 stars flat wooden writing, 14 Aug 2012
This review is from: Tigers in Red Weather (Hardcover)
I had to post this review as an antidote to the one other review posted on this site. This is a shamefully poor derivative piece of work that lacks any life of its own. The writer is following a formula and boy does it show. I could not get beyond the first few pages and doubt whether any other serious readers will either, despite the pumping of this work through reviews in the broadsheet press. Don't bother is my advice. life is just too short.
Comment Comments (14) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 14, 2014 7:06 AM BST

The Red House
The Red House
by Mark Haddon
Price: 11.55

5.0 out of 5 stars simply brilliant, 14 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Red House (Hardcover)
This book was so good I immediately ordered his other novels from my public library. You have to read every word and every word counts. The movement from one viewpoint to another displays a novelist at the height of his skills and plunges the reader into the claustrophobic environment inhabited by the characters. Excellent, engaging, stunning characterisation and painfully funny in parts. I did not want it to finish. One for the private library shelf.

Page: 1 | 2