Profile for A. Leach > Reviews

Content by A. Leach

A. Leach (UK)

Sennheiser CX 300-II Precision Noise-Isolating Ear-Canal Phones - Black (Eco Packaging)

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, 9 May 2010
After many years of excellent service, my Shure E2C earphones needed replacing. I found these Sennheisers on Amazon, and the reviews seemed to suggest they would be just as good as the Shures, but at a third of the cost. Absolutely not.

I use my earphones mainly for commuting on the train. The old Shure ones were excellent, blocking out all surrounding sounds, including people chatting on their mobiles, train announcements, etc. These Sennheisers are the complete opposite - they actually amplify surrounding noises! I used them for the first time last week, and my music kept being interrupted by a series of unusual sounds. I pressed stop and realised that whenever the person next to me turned the page of their newspaper, it was amplified through my earphones. The same was true with the person eating a sandwich (not a sound you want to be amplified). Finally, whenever I moved my head and the wires rubbed against my clothing, this too was amplified.

The sound quality is reasonable, but unless you sit completely motionless in a quiet room, these Sennheiser earphones are utterly unuseable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2010 7:14 PM BST

God of War Platinum (PS2)
God of War Platinum (PS2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh My God, 27 July 2007
I've never bothered to write a review before. What's the point, when other people have already done it for you. However, I am so gobsmacked by God Of War that I simply have to tell as many people as possible. It is quite simply the best game I've ever played. The graphics are unsurpassed on the PS2. Some rooms/scenes only require you to be there for a few seconds, yet the attention to detail is amazing. I find myself returning to places even though I've no real reason to be there - I'm just admiring the graphics.

And it's not just the visuals. The sound also really adds to the experience. Sometimes minimalist, sometimes creepy, sometimes full-on thumping soundtrack. In all scenarios the designers have got it spot on.

Finally, the gameplay. There's plenty of adrenalin-pumping fighting, but this game has so much more. It's not just about button-bashing. You actually have to use your brain too - both when fighting your enemies and when trying to figure out how to overcome one of the many problems/obstacles you encounter.

Not many games grab my attention like this one has. As I've grown older, got married, etc I've found less and less time to fire-up my PS2. However, as I approach the end of God Of War, I find myself wanting to stay up all night. Even once I've completed it, this is a game I will return to again and again. But wait, what's this....God Of War 2 is now available. Damn, looks like I'm in for plenty more late nights.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 27, 2013 2:05 PM BST