Profile for Robbie Williams > Reviews

Microfibre Towel (Purple), travel towel, sports, gym, yoga or beach - quick dry
Microfibre Towel (Purple), travel towel, sports, gym, yoga or beach - quick dry
Offered by The Little Bodhi

4.0 out of 5 stars Wash separately. The towel, not you, obviously., 25 Aug 2014
This towel has an almost magical ability to absorb lots of water really quickly. It also dries really quickly if you hang it out. The trick is to blot, rather than rub. One word of warning: wash it by hand or with all of your other purple stuff - you have other purple stuff, right? - before you go away with it. It is not colour fast in the washing machine the first time. It didn't seem to stain things when wet but maybe I got lucky. No regrets though, I love it!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1KEB-S Compact System Digital Camera with 12-32mm Lens - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars knowing that the pictures will be little better than my smartphone, 25 Aug 2014
I bought this little camera because I generally carry a Nikon SLR and lenses around and I'm getting old and tired. Sometimes you just need a camera that is small and light and no hassle. I've had a series of compact cameras (Nikon, Canon, another Nikon and a Fuji) and was always faced with a dilemma: Do I take the compact, knowing that the pictures will be little better than my smartphone, or the SLR for great pictures but backache and the inability to carry much else (my camera bag is a rucksack with the body and 4 lenses in it). Problem has been solved. I knew this Lumix was good from the reviews I had read, but nothing prepared me for just HOW good it is. I've just come back from Norway where I put both cameras through their paces. With its micro 4/3 sensor the image quality is as good as my Nikon DX format. I'm not kidding. Just as good. The lens is actually slightly better than my Nikkor zooms, although as I expected not quite as sharp or fast as the primes. It focusses SO fast that I didn't miss a single shot. Ever. It's so quiet that I was able to take stealth pictures normally only possible with a phone. The "silent" mode is absolutely silent. It's tiny. Not quite shirt pocket size because the total depth including lens is about 55mm but jacket pockets definitely fit and with the included neck strap it weighs almost nothing on the shoulder too. I've been using an iPhone for video because the Nikon is pretty poor for that, but this GM1 shoots terrific video with a very good stabilisation system too. The 12-32 lens has roughly the same angle of view as a 17-55mm on a Nikon DX format SLR - that's fairly wide to a short tele (portrait) so no long tele I'm afraid. But I've just cropped some shots today and the sharpness and lack of noise is fantastic. So cropping up to about 50% is perfectly safe.
Any negatives? Yes: Battery life is short. I got a day out of it but only just. It ran out one day by late afternoon. I'm adding a spare battery now. It's go a ton of optional settings and preferences which are a bit tricky to understand - the owners manual is not the best. However you can safely ignore these if you want to and rely on its various auto modes with manual exposure comp override. The flash feels a bit flimsy so I'm nervous about that but functionally it's superb and there are slow flash and flash compensation settings. You can even tilt the flash head with a finger for bounce.
So I'm delighted with the GM1. It's becoming a serious alternative to lugging the SLR around, and when I don't need the longer focal lengths or fast access to manual settings I think I'll be leaving the Nikon at home!

How Fatima Started Islam: Mohammad's Daughter Tells It All: 1
How Fatima Started Islam: Mohammad's Daughter Tells It All: 1
by Noor Barack

3.0 out of 5 stars Stop sending spam, 23 Aug 2012
Quoting from the horrendous spam email I received today "NOTE: There is a concerted and subtle effort to manipulate Americans from buying or reading the parody. A foreign based group, I'll call them 'the friends of Islam' are pressuring Amazon.com to cease selling the book and also to flood Amazon.com with bogus 'reviews' to dissuade Americans from purchasing it. In a two week period 40 'reviews' rushed in, mostly with non-Arab names, telling people how horrible, petty, stupid, poorly written etc. the book was and not to buy it. All 40 unanimously gave it the absolute lowest rating. It was obvious that each of the 'reviewers' had not bought or read the book, many proclaimed that they would not under any circumstances read an anti-Islam tome. From George III to Adolf Hitler many foreigners have tried to limit what Americans should be allowed to read. Protect the First Amendment and do not be dictated by the Ayatollahs of Damascus , Bagdad, and Tehran."

So can I just state for the record that I am not part of any group and am not anti Islam or anti American either? The reason that ordinary people are posting critical reviews has nothing to do with the book, good or bad. It's purely a reaction to the awful campaign which has been launched to try to sell it. The book might be great. I will never know because I'm too disgusted to want to buy it. I'll give the book 3 stars to indicate that it could be good or bad. OK? Now please stop emailing me.

Silverline 839280 Folding Shovel 580mm
Silverline 839280 Folding Shovel 580mm

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, tough little shovel, 13 Feb 2012
I'm really pleased with this I must admit. Folded up it's tiny, the size of the blade only and about two inches thick. You unscrew a collar on the handle to slacken the threaded bar running through the hollow shaft and you can pull out the handle and position the blade either fully extended or at 90 degrees for trenching. Once tightened it's really solid and the whole thing feels pretty strong. There's a saw blade cut into one side of the spade blade itself, and I'm dubious about how useful that will be, but as a shovel it's great. Bring on the snow!!!

Creative HS800 Fatal1ty Gaming Headset with Detachable Noise-cancelling Microphone (PC / MAC)
Offered by London Deals

5.0 out of 5 stars Mad bass!, 7 Jan 2011
This headset replaces a fairly worn out Logitech which has served well for the last two years. The bass on this new set is phenomenal. It was bought as a gaming/Skype headset and works well for that, but it's surprisingly good as a music headset too, provided your tastes are on the heavy side. Since you can detach the microphone, they don't look too geeky when used with an iPod etc. Excellent purchase!

Sony Ericsson In-Car Charger compatible For D750i J100i J220i J230i K200i...
Sony Ericsson In-Car Charger compatible For D750i J100i J220i J230i K200i...
Offered by iTALKonline-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars cheap but good, 16 Dec 2010
I can't believe how cheap this is. Yes, OK it's a bit plasticky, but it works absolutely perfectly with the family's three Sony E phones on both of our cars. It might break in the long run - so buy two!

Duracell Size 675 Hearing Aid Batteries - 6-Pack
Duracell Size 675 Hearing Aid Batteries - 6-Pack
Offered by Hearing Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Olympus OM-1 camera battery equivalent, 29 Sep 2010
I was advised in a forum that this battery can be used as an equivalent for the now obsolete Mercury battery in the Olympus OM-1 film camera. I'm delighted to say it's true. Forget the alkaline battery which is the same physical size as the original - as it discharges the camera's metering goes out. True the 675 is the wrong size, but it does drop into the battery slot and works brilliantly. Stick a rubber washer round it if it bothers you, but trust me, they don't move once you put the compartment lid back on.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 3, 2013 7:46 AM BST

Blackwood Farm (The Vampire Chronicles)
Blackwood Farm (The Vampire Chronicles)
by Anne Rice

4.0 out of 5 stars Details, mere details, 12 July 2003
I really don't like Anne Rice. This makes it even more frustrating for me to discover that whenever I start one of her books, I can't put it down! I read Interview with the Vampire, and found it wordy, meandering, vague, in parts boring, and yet utterly compelling. The Vampire Lestat was the same, as was the Witching Hour. Each time I finished one of them I felt vaguely disappointed, and yet each time a new one came out I grudgingly bought it and read it!
And it's happened again! Blackwood Farm is an endless droning monologue, narrated by a real spoilt loser of a character. All the way through I'm wishing Quinn had been strangled at birth or would just stop drivelling and get on with it! It's Anne Rice's trademark obsession with detail which does it. Even though Quinn is a troubled soul, trying to pour out his heart to a strangely silent Lestat, he still remembers every button on every shirt, every wisp of hair, every bird tweet and shoe style. The net result is that it takes an age for anything to happen. And you can guess the ending by about one third of the way through! Once again I'm left with the same impression. I love the stories, but I don't like Anne Rice!