Profile for J. Vance > Reviews

Content by J. Vance

J. Vance "J. Vance" (G>B>)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Forgotten Girls (Book #1 in The Suburban Murder Series)
The Forgotten Girls (Book #1 in The Suburban Murder Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story but Horrible Cover, 16 July 2016
After a few pages this book drew me in and I didn't want to put it down. I bought it on offer because the author is unknown, but having read this one I am happy to spend the full price to buy book 2 in this series. Each one is stand alone, so if book 3 came along on offer I would buy that first. I must say the cover nearly put me off and once I got it I put off reading as I find the cover very off-putting, but once opened it was seldom put down.
I only figured out who the killer was towards the end. the 'who did it' part was well done and not something put in as an after thought. Once you knew who the killer was you realised what things earlier in the book meant and it all made sense.
Apart from the over, my only other complaint was that it is a little too short. It would have made a very thin paperback, but that said better a good read that is short, like this one, than a long and badly written book.

The Rock Star and The Lifeguard
The Rock Star and The Lifeguard

1.0 out of 5 stars Either incomplete or just not good, no idea which, 8 July 2016
This was so short and incomplete I have no idea if it is a short story or simple a taster for a full book. Either way I did not enjoy the book. The story is very weak, the characters incomplete and the end virtually non existent.

First Sight
First Sight

1.0 out of 5 stars Terribly repetitive and annoying, 8 July 2016
This review is from: First Sight (Kindle Edition)
I love Danielle Steele and have read juzt about all her books. This one, however, is so badly written I couldn't get beyone page 55. I don't know how many times Ms Steele said Timmy loved Paris, but "men like Zack", or something meaning the same thing appears 38 times! "Since her divorce 11 years ago" comes up about 18 times and so on. In the 55 pages I read there was little information and no story had started to build as this was all background information The same two or three concepts were repeated so often I simply lost interest and gave up. I don't know if Ms Steele has lost interestin writing or what happened, but this would be a joke if I hadn't paid good money for the book.

Amazon Underground
Amazon Underground

5.0 out of 5 stars Free app lets you access other free apps, 20 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Amazon Underground (App)
This is a must have as it lets you access very many free apps that otherwise you pay for. I have already downloaded weather, ringtones and games that are not free unless you use UNDERGROUND. It is free to install, so no reason not to use it, and many good reasons to get it.

Rocket Player Premium Unlocker
Rocket Player Premium Unlocker

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth buying. Great choice of features, 20 Jun. 2016
I tried the free version and loved it so much I paid for the full version. The free one worked on most of my music, but a few formats were not covered in the free version and rather than change my music I paid the small price to upgrade, and now everything works great. This lets you sort music by SONGS, ARTIST, PLAYLIST, FOLDERS, GENRES, COMPOSERS, all in alphabetical order so it is easy to find what you are looking for. The menu also offers the chance to sort by title, date added, and album. You can set songs as ringtones etc too. Mine started with a blue theme colour, but this too can be changed and there is an equaliser. All in all, well worth the price with so much choice.

Rocket Player - Music Player
Rocket Player - Music Player

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for normal music formats. Full version plays everything, 20 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Rocket Player - Music Player (App)
I got this and loved it so much I paid for the full version. It worked on most of my music, but a few formats were not covered in the free version and rather than change my music I paid the small price to upgrade, and now everything works great.

Sticky Notes !
Sticky Notes !

5.0 out of 5 stars Very handy notes that also read to you, 20 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Sticky Notes ! (App)
This is great for quick notes or even shopping lists. I write my shopping and then cancel out what I have got so I can see quickly what I still need. It is also handy to write reminders, phone numbers (ones you may not want to store) etc. There is a good choice of colours and fonts and it will read your notes out loud too. I love this and would highly recommend it

Short Stories
Short Stories

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreadable, 19 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Short Stories (Kindle Edition)
As another reviewer said this needs formatted as every second line has 1-2 words only and words do not end at the end of a line but continue onto the next line with no hyphen. This make it nearly impossible to read. I didn't enjoy the short bit I did read. Dull, uninteresting and seemingly no story. I read this on a Kindle, so do not know it it works on other devices

Kindle Paperwhite 3G E-reader, 6" High-Resolution Display (300 ppi) with Built-in Light, Free 3G + Wi-Fi (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely love, highly recommend but features badly done, 9 Jun. 2016
First I have to say I absolutely love my Kindle Paperwhite next gen?
It is more fun, easier and better to read than a real book – and I am a serious book lover! I now want to renew my collection into ebooks as I prefer reading them, which I didn’t think would happen.

Pros
The backlight really does everything they say; you can read in the dark without strain and also in strong, direct sunlight where you can nearly see the words better!
If you wake up you can read without waking your partner by switching on the light
Ebooks cost less than paper books, and there are some great free ebooks as well. You can try all these and discard any you don’t like
Great space saver as so many books fit into a small space instead of many bookcases
I can take many book everywhere with me, on holiday, a trip to an appointment etc
I have the 3G version which means on holiday I can get any new books I want without looking for an internet connection.
I recently read a book (Clive Cussler, Serpent) which had quite a bit of very small writing for various reasons. I simple enlarged the text to read it and quickly reduced it again. A simple stretch/pinch movement offers all text size choices – as well as different fonts.
When you open your Kindle it automatically takes you to the page you were on, which is handy. I bought a cover which turns it off when closed and turns it on when open, so if you start to fall asleep there is no need to search for the button to turn it off, just close the cover and set it down
You can ‘go to’ and chose any place in the book, highlight passages, or make notes.
It is easy to hold in one hand and turning the pages one handed is very easy – just a simple touch on 2/3 of the left hand side of the page takes you to the next page
You can make collections for your books, so I place books I have read in a collection I created called –READ, to reduce the number of books in my library
This Kindle lasts many days (5-8) of long reading sessions before needing a charge, and it charges quickly. N.B. The charging lead comes WITHOUT a USB adapter plug, so order one if you don’t already have one.
There is also a ‘look-up’ function so if you come across a word you don’t know you touch it and the dictionary on the Kindle, (I downloaded the free Oxford Dictionary as I prefer it) shows you what the word means. If this is something like a place name, the Kindle takes you to Wikipedia. While I am extremely sceptical about the validity of this site, it does offer a possible idea of what the word means.
Included in the Kindle is also a thing they call ‘x-ray’, and this supposedly tells you more about the person or place in the book you are reading, again by touch – you chose ‘look-up or x-ray’. This is in case you have forgotten who a character is or what the connection to something is. However this feature does not work on all books, so I assume it is something the publisher must include, but am not sure if this is the case or not.
You can ‘share books with another member of your household’ and this is great. Both my partner and I love many of the same authors, so only have to buy one copy and ‘share it’. In this way we both have it to read.

Cons
There are many things wrong with this, but all could have been avoided with a little more effort on the part of the manufacturer;
There is no way to see how much battery is left – at least I can’t find it, and I looked and looked and looked. I even tried looking for ‘advice’ on the internet
When you access the Kindle store to look for books, for some inexplicable reason the prices don’t show up in the list. They do on my PC, tablet and even phone, but not here! You need to open each individual book to see how much it costs, and inevitably I have lost my place in a long list by doing this and had to start again.
Another aspect I can’t find is someway to see how much space/memory there is left. The ‘rough guide of 1,000 books’, really does not tell me much. Some books are 3 times bigger than others, some smaller, so is it 300 big ones, 500 big ones or what?
Another annoying thing is the home page. Your books appear in the order you open them – and there is nothing you can do about that! (Or again I can’t find it). I wanted to put them in alphabetical order, but can’t. This is a problem when you have a number of books. The whole Kindle is only in black & white – no colour, so some book covers tend to look the same in ‘small size black & white’ and you have to go through many pages to find the book you want.
Amazon charge £10 to get a version with no advertising, and I paid this extra as I didn’t want my reading interrupted, but this feels unfair when you are already paying a high price for the item. I understand it when something is free, but I don’t think it is right in this case, and told Amazon so.
Despite all these negatives, I would not part with this little gem!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2016 10:58 AM BST

RollerCoaster Tycoon® 4 MobileTM
RollerCoaster Tycoon® 4 MobileTM

1.0 out of 5 stars wouldn't open, 4 Jun. 2016
Slow to download and then wouldn't open. I tri3d again but with same result and uninstalled this. I use Android, if that helps

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20