Profile for V.Meldrew > Reviews

Content by V.Meldrew

V.Meldrew (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Polaroid Shutter Release Timer Remote Control For Nikon D90, D3100, D3200, D5000, D5100, D7000 Digital SLR Cameras
Offered by Smart Shop UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but not perfect, 14 July 2015
I haven't tested this out in the field just at home to get to grips with how it works. It's pretty straight forward to use (I have a Nikon D7100 and which it connects to with the cable via the same slot for the GPS). Seems fairly well made, possibly having a rubberised finish would be better for grip although time will tell. My reason for not giving 5 stars is that it does not have an on/off switch. It does state that this is to avoid potential battery leakage with prolonged periods of not being used however, this to me is a mistake as it means the batteries will run out quicker and depending on how you store it the buttons will be randomly pressed. Granted, they won't do anything as they won't be connected to your camera but, for me having an on/off switch and clearly advising people to remove the batteries if it will remain unused for some time would be far better. For the price though, I hope this will suffice my needs. The Nikon MC-DC2 is too basic and I cannot justify the top end Nikon coming in over £300! If they do decide to update this with an on/off switch it would, assuming it works properly in every other respect and keeping the same price it would likely be a 5 star product.

Hunter Outdoor Wax Dressing 200ml
Hunter Outdoor Wax Dressing 200ml
Offered by Lakeland Shooting Supplies

4.0 out of 5 stars Hopefully this will be as good as others have found it to be., 5 Jun. 2015
I'm yet to test out the results but I got this to reproof my wax hat which after a hike in constant rain both heavy, and that fine stuff did appear to be letting in some water. It's not a two minute job by any means and you will definitely want to heat the wax up to make it easier to apply. Do note thought that if you warm this up in a bowl/jug of warm water the label will most likely come off and be rendered unreadable given that it's made of paper so if you think you'll need the instructions etc peel it off before hand. I'll update again once I've tested the waterproof performance. I have noticed the hat has a slightly different colouring since applying so this may be something to note when applying.

Occasion 24cm Ceramic and Bamboo Dip Set in White
Occasion 24cm Ceramic and Bamboo Dip Set in White
Offered by Homeware UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice little serving set, 5 Jun. 2015
My partner wanted some serving dishes which weren't just the usual boring shape so I thought these fit the bill nicely and they do. Good if you wanted a small amount of a few items, the board with grooves cut out for each serving dish is a good idea and makes it far easier to carry from the kitchen and back again plus, it just looks much neater doesn't it?

Mastering the Nikon D7100
Mastering the Nikon D7100
by Darrell Young

4.0 out of 5 stars A good book if you have a good understanding of photography and Nikon cameras already, 5 Jun. 2015
This is a lot easier to follow than the instructions you will get with your camera however, I would strongly suggest that if you have only just moved into the world of DSLR you will still struggle to fully comprehend all the functions, what they do, when to use them, why you should use certain settings etc. A book, or indeed reading content online and watching videos about the basics of photography will really help and in turn you will get far more out of this book. I have referred to the user manual and in some instances found it easier to understand but then, the user manual doesn't explain the purpose of functions. I would say this book is worth buying/reading but, having a good knowledge of photography will help you to get the most from it. I can't fault the book for my shortcomings as I decided to purchase a more advanced camera which I knew would have a steeper learning curve so I could avoid having to upgrade the camera body. Worth noting that the book is written by an American author no big deal but I did notice this from time to time.

Le Creuset Cast Iron Square Grillit, Graded Blue, 26 cm
Le Creuset Cast Iron Square Grillit, Graded Blue, 26 cm

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good pan but HEAVY, 5 Jun. 2015
Very nice griddle pan. Gives that "restaurant look" to steaks and other meats of course. Giving a nice but subtle smokey flavour to meat. Be warned though this pan is HEAVY! If you drop this on a tiled floor/granite work surface or similar hold your breath as you are likely to see some damage to whatever it lands on! It will however last years, just be careful not to drop it as you are likely to end up swearing a lot!

Tuscany Silver Teardrop Pendant on Adjustable Snake Chain Necklace 41cm/16" - 46cm/18"

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks more expensive than it is, simple but very nice., 5 Jun. 2015
A simple but very nice pendant. Sometimes less is more. Looks more expensive than it is, not tarnished over time and the chain it comes with is just fine and no issues with it after considerable wear (by my partner not myself).

Whirlpool Max Microwave with Steam Function - Red
Whirlpool Max Microwave with Steam Function - Red

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, compact microwave, 5 Jun. 2015
Bought as a gift for my mum as she needed a compact microwave and having recently had her kitchen done wanted a red one. Not always so easy to find! Going on for 3 years and still working fine and performing all the microwave functions as it should do. If you're limited on space for a microwave this would be ideal.

Lifestyle Black Granite Coasters (set of 4)
Lifestyle Black Granite Coasters (set of 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice set of coasters, lasting well., 5 Jun. 2015
These do look good however, given they are made from a natural material they are not identical in colour/size. They do have a good weight to them so they feel like a quality item and they serve the purpose very well, not broken, not chipped so money well spent!

Two 10ml Blue Glass Bottles with Dropper Pipettes
Two 10ml Blue Glass Bottles with Dropper Pipettes

4.0 out of 5 stars For my photography needs they suit just fine, 5 Jun. 2015
I wanted some small pipettes for use with photography so I could place controlled water droplets onto subjects as required. I worked on the assumption I will likely lose or break one so getting two for a pretty low price was a good deal. They are nice and small which is ideal as I already have other kit to lug about. Droplet placement is accurate and can be controlled relatively easily. One small thing I have noticed is that the pipette doesn't always expel the air inside and so you can end up with an air bubble which, should you be using for a similar use as I, will want to get rid of before using. Other than that I can't have any complaints, they suit my needs and I would happily buy again if I need to.

Phot-R Pro Hurricane Air Dust Blower Cleaner Camera Video Lens Sensor Cleaning
Phot-R Pro Hurricane Air Dust Blower Cleaner Camera Video Lens Sensor Cleaning
Offered by CameraKing (Shipping from UK)

3.0 out of 5 stars For the price it's not bad., 5 Jun. 2015
Given that this is a rather cheap dust blower I didn't expect a lot and well...that's about what I got. It's not really got a lot of "ooomphh" to it. It does help to clean off some light dust but anything requiring that little more power I fear this will struggle to get the job done. As with any dust blower be careful where you put the nozzle as you could potentially damage parts of the camera if you inadvertently make contact with them. This may suit if you clean your camera regularly however, don't expect too much of it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14