Profile for toladosu > Reviews

Content by toladosu

toladosu "toladosu" (LDN)

Aukey Bluetooth 4.1 Wireless Stereo Portable Mini Lightweight In-Ear Headphones for Jogging, Running, Sports, Gym with AptX, Hands-free MIC for iPhone and Android Smartphones (EP-B4)

5.0 out of 5 stars All in all, 5 stars, 8 Jun. 2015
I have had these headphones for nearly 2 months now. I must say they are one of the best pair of headphones I have ever had. They are my first Bluetooth headphones.

The fit is brilliant, I had to adjust the changeable buds to fit my ears, but once I found the correct size, I was good to go. The shape and direction of the earpiece reminds me of stethoscopes, I suppose that shape might be why they fit so well.

The sound quality is also brilliant, I have listened to quite a wide variety of audiobooks, lectures, podcast, and of course music using these. The sounds produced are as true to the original as that from my HK speakers. I’m very impressed.

The ability to turn the music player on/off, change tracks, adjust the volume, and answer calls using the headset makes things very convenient.

Listening to lecture notes with these headphones over the exam period has meant that I am not stuck at my desk developing terrible back pain. That is possibly my favourite discovery.

All in all, 5 stars.

Aukey Noise Isolating In-ear Headphone Earphone with remote and microphone for iPhone / iPad / iTouch / iNano (EP-C1A)

4.0 out of 5 stars Decently fitting headphones for the gym, 5 April 2015
I have had these earphones for nearly 1 month now. I mainly use them for the gym, because my gym has decided to include playing terrible music at deafening levels as one of my membership benefits.

The sound itself is okay. Not bad for the price, I am not an audiophile so I cannot provide feedback on the bass level and such. It does what an earphone should.

It is worth tinkering with the different sized ear buds to find the correct fit for your ears - I had to change mine. The control comes in handy so I don’t have to dig into my clothes while running to change the volume or pause the music. The strap is long and the fit is good enough that it hasn’t fallen out of my ears once as I have had happen with other headphones.

The only improvement would be if it blocked out outside sounds better. A friend has pointed out that while out on the street it is probably much safer not to have total noise cancellation, so you can hear the traffic, I guess that depends on individual preference.
Comment Comment | Permalink

[Apple MFi Certified] Aukey® 8 Pin Lightning to USB Cable Charging Cable Cord (3.3ft / 1m) for Apple iPhone, iPad and iPod, Ultra-Compact Connector Head (18 Months Warranty)
Offered by AukeyDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the spare travel charger for my iPad. ..., 5 April 2015
This is the spare travel charger for my iPad. I have had it for a month and it has remained in one piece (I have been a bit cautious before leaving a review because previous cables have fallen apart on me within weeks). This one charges the iPad at a similarly speed to the original apple cable. There is no intermittent charging or messages about not being recognised. I have had no problems with it at all.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Microbiology and Infectious Diseases on the Move (MOTM)
Microbiology and Infectious Diseases on the Move (MOTM)
by Thomas Locke

5.0 out of 5 stars Microbiology less scary, 9 April 2014
The book is divided into Part 1: Microbiology (pre-clinical medicine) and Part 2: Infectious diseases (clinical medicine, at least for me). All the pre-clinical medicine I had forgotten are laid out in nice little summaries at the beginning for me to revise. Before I had my ITU placement, I had forgotten nearly all the microbiology I learned in pre-clinicals, I picked this up to prevent another humiliation at the ward round.

The clinical section is brilliant, it contains all the common infectious disease in dermatology, paediatrics, genitourinary medicine, cardiology, gastrointestinal medicine, and respiratory medicine. Regarding the diseases, the book contains cause, incubation periods, duration, transmission, clinical features, and treatments. These are laid out clearly and succinctly in tables and bullet points which makes the information very easy to find.

I have been playing "guess the infection" on and off with a course-mate who also has this book. I have other books in this series, however, with this book in particular I find the micro-cases provide nice little vignettes for OSCE history taking practice. I am yet to find a more comprehensive microbiology book which does the job in the same number of words.

Hopefully, I will have less embarrassing microbiology ward rounds in future.

Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Women's Health on the Move (MOTM)
Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Women's Health on the Move (MOTM)
by Amie Clifford

4.0 out of 5 stars Wish I had discovered it earlier, 7 April 2014
I discovered this book towards the end of my Reproductive and Sexual Health rotation, this upsets me. I remember my first shift on labour ward, sitting in the staff room looking at the board and my very accommodation midwife who said "well, I have the G3 Para 1+2 VBAC, so she is pretty much a nullip where vaginal birth is concerned, her contractions are weak and her second stage is probably not going to be quick". I started at the acronyms on the board in confusion and despair and decided it was best to write off the day there and then. In the first page of this book, the majority of these definitions are explained.

The text is clear, concise, and systematically ordered. I feel like it takes me through basic obstetrics and gynaecology, without being patronising. I am a big fan of the pictures and instructions for vaginal examination. I also like the introduction to female Sexual Health and Breast medicine. This is very convenient as at my university, they are done in the same rotation, and so I do not have to carry 3 books around. The pictures in these sections are also particularly useful as I only had a couple of clinics in some of the fields and the amount you see in a clinic can vary a lot. Because of this, I think this is the best book I have found for placement.

I was very excited that I managed to gain access to the iPad version. In this version however the layout is difficult to navigate. Although it was useful to be able to access the web-links from the app (there are references which take you the the RCOG and NICE guidelines from within the app), I had to go back to the paper copy due to the navigation issues. It loses a star only for that.

Orthopaedics and Rheumatology on the Move (MOTM)
Orthopaedics and Rheumatology on the Move (MOTM)
by Terence McLoughlin

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice, concise, easy to follow, 16 Mar. 2014
The books is a decent size (about A5) and compared to most of my medical textbook relatively light.

The Orthopaedics sections systematically takes you through the body from head to toe. Each section containing information on normal gross anatomy -> examination -> investigation (nice X-rays), and then common pathologies in that region and what you would find when clerking. In the Rheumatology sections the conditions are grouped according to their aetiologies. Overall I think this works well and makes the topics easy to follow and the book easier to navigate.

The self-assessment section at the end is a nice bonus. There are also lots of images (diagrams, X-rays, pictures of clinical signs), which help to reinforce the description in the text, for me this is essential. I appreciate the step-by-step bullet point guides to the examination.

I think the book is most useful as a quick intro/revision tool rather than a referencing book, and I think the book recognises this, as there are reference to more exhaustive textbooks inside. However, you would not be able to carry those around on the wards or dedicate a week to reading through them, as you can with this.

Anaesthesia on the Move (MOTM)
Anaesthesia on the Move (MOTM)
by Sally Keat

5.0 out of 5 stars Good introduction to anaesthesia for a medical student, 15 Mar. 2014
Aesthetics
The book is a little bigger than A5 so easily to carry around on the wards. For those who like to abuse their books, you might want to cover it in plastic, initially I was afraid the thin pages would mean I would not be able to highlight and draw on the book, but this was no problem and there was no bleed through with my highlighter. The cover says that mobile access is included, however, I was unable to get this set up on the iPad, I am not sure if this due to my incompetence or the app.

Format
The book provides a chronological journey through anaesthesia. Basic physiology and anatomy -> Pre-op -> Op -> Post-op -> ITU, this made it easy to follow. I would have liked more algorithms and perhaps an appendix at the end with some of the charts and other resources resources. However, this was not a major issue as the book was very easy to navigate.

Content
I appreciated the revision of basic anatomy and physiology. For those of us in schools with separate preclinical years, who have forgotten most of the physiology by the time of clinics, this is immensely useful and may save embarrassment on ward rounds. For others, it is handy to have it all in one book.

It is also useful for clinical skills revision; I particularly found the step-by-step practical instructions and pictures very useful. For example there is a picture of bag-valve-mask positioning and holding in airway management and different sizes guerdels, so when on the wards and at the OSCE, one knows what to do. I really appreciate the fact that it explains the drug mechanisms and the best drug or anaesthetic agent for certain indications, it meant I could justify my drug choices during Q&A and earn extra points.

Lastly, the questions at the end encouraged me to do some lateral thinking and the explanations for the answers provided some useful general revision.

General impression
Overall, the book provides a good introduction pre-placement and for revision following placement. The book itself notes that it is not exhaustive (with which I agree, even at medical student level), but for me that makes it less exhausting, and therefore less off-putting, definitely a good book at a medical student level.

Philips SHE3575OP/10 Universal In-Ear Headset for iPhone - Orange/Pink
Philips SHE3575OP/10 Universal In-Ear Headset for iPhone - Orange/Pink
Offered by Megga Distribution

1.0 out of 5 stars Thank goodness it was £5, 25 Mar. 2013
When I bought these, they were £5 discounted from £18. If I had bought them at full price, I would be livid. Initially, I felt the terrible sound quality was because of the headbuds as when changed the background noise reduction was better. However, after a week of use I agree with the previous review, forget listening to any music with bass using these and each ear takes it in turn to cut out. I have an IPhone too and twisting it in the jack one way or the other cuts out an earpiece which is awfully frustrating when you're on the move.