Profile for Ms. R. J. Temple > Reviews

Content by Ms. R. J. Temple

Ms. R. J. Temple "Jelley" (Exeter, UK)

GI: How to succeed using the Glycemic Index diet (Collins Gem)
GI: How to succeed using the Glycemic Index diet (Collins Gem)
by Collins Uk
Price: 3.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but misleading, 17 Oct 2012
Good Points
Really simple and easy to follow
Traffic light system is really useful
Handy size to carry about
I haven't come across another GI book which isn't mostly a recipe book

Not So good
It doesn't say anything about it being a weight-loss book but clearly is. As a person who is using a low GI diet because of type 1 diabetes, it's a little frustrating. The traffic light system is really good but on the recommended foods for eating out (which I would have really used) it advises things like have sauces without any cheese - if you are going for a purely GI diet, this is unnecessary as cheese has no carbs or sugar. It's obviously advisable not to gorge on cheese but I didn't buy this book for any other reason than understanding what is low GI. I think that it should have said on the front that this is a GI book for weight loss.

Overall
Really useful for the food index but misleading for the rest of the text as the advice is not purely for a GI diet

The Accidental
The Accidental
by Ali Smith
Price: 6.29

3.0 out of 5 stars S'alright!, 13 Jun 2006
This review is from: The Accidental (Paperback)
The description on the back made me think I was really going to enjoy this book and I kind of did.

The basic story, about how a stranger,interupting the lives of a family holidaying in sunny Norfolk forces the family to take stock and look at the issues the four of them are facing.

The characters are well crafted - partcularly Amber and Astrid.

What let this book down for me was that although I could easily follow the story there were parts that seemed to be deliberately confusing for the reader. At points, I'd be totally involved and engrossed in the stories of the family members, told from their individual perspectives, but then something odd would happen like the author listing things to do with cinemas for a chapter?!

Maybe I'm just not clever (or pretentious) enough to understand or pretend to understand these parts.

A good read but I just didn't get it!!

The Dice Man
The Dice Man
by Luke Rhinehart
Price: 6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Someone isn't getting any!, 13 Jun 2006
This review is from: The Dice Man (Paperback)
I was told about the main idea behind this book and thought it would be fascinating and was really looking forward to it. It was however, one of the most dissappointing books I have read in a long time.

The premis is good (the reason for the 2 stars)- the idea that the dice makes decisions for you but the author uses that theme to glorify his own ideas and turn it into a form of therapy and a kind of cult religion, with himself as the main character - the 'Dice man'

I completely agree with a previous reviewer who says that he also uses this original theme as an excuse to protray violent, disturbing sex scenes - including one where he pretends to be a priest in order to seduce a young catholic virgin into having an orgy.

I would have thought his idea could have been used to create adventures and pose interesting questions but all it did was lead the reader into the authors pronographic and self gratifying web. Any characters that were remotely credible also became tangled in this web and lost any interest. (I do realise that the point of the 'dice life' is to lose your soul - but does this mean that charcters suddenly have to all become bland robots?)

Vanishing Acts
Vanishing Acts
by Jodi Picoult

3.0 out of 5 stars Good with flaws n' all, 12 Jun 2006
This review is from: Vanishing Acts (Paperback)
I had not read any of Picoult's novels before and I enjoyed this one. It is a gripping story of a young woman finding out that her lovin father actually kidnapped her 28 years before. It is, however, flawed. In my opinion the best character was Ruthann but felt she had little point in the story as a whole whilst Delia's character felt a little bit perferct for me. My biggest concern though was for Picoult's portayal of alcoholism. I think she makes some dangerous assumptions - that alcoholics make unreliable and unsuitable parents - this may be the experience of some but not all and also that once an alcoholic, always an alcoholic - an idea that is outdated and widely acknowledged to be unhelpful for people dealing with an addiction and again, not true for everyone. The book does have some very ood parts - The scenes in prison were gritty and Picoult's portrayal of Arizona felt real. All in all a pretty good holiday read - not taxing but enough going on to keep you hooked.

Games People Play: The Psychology of Human Relationships
Games People Play: The Psychology of Human Relationships
by Eric Berne

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading!, 17 Nov 2005
Everyone who is interested in human relationships should read this

My Life On a Plate
My Life On a Plate
by India Knight

5.0 out of 5 stars Funny!, 11 April 2005
This review is from: My Life On a Plate (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book. Not a life altering read but not suppossed to be. A witty little novel with fantastic characters. I actually found myself being able to normalise some of my strange behaviours! I love the fact that the main character, Clara is so utterly flawed like most of us but so ready to admit it - I want her as a friend!! It has a kind of english eccentricity that charmed me completely. My boyfriend decided he had to read it when he heard me laughing so much and he doesn't do fiction!

The Characters Of Love
The Characters Of Love
by Susie Boyt

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 19 Mar 2005
This review is from: The Characters Of Love (Paperback)
This is a fantastic book - I read it at age 18 and lots since. It's about a girl going to university, meeting older lecturer guy, falling in love and coping with a dark secret. The best of Boyt so far