Profile for Paul L Money > Reviews

Content by Paul L Money

Paul L Money

Cold Heart, Cruel Hand: A Novel Of Hereward The Wake And The Fen Rebellion Of 1070-1071
by Laurence J. Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Cold Heart, Cruel Hand by Laurence J. Brown, 11 July 2004
Having a general interest in History I discovered that a local man had written a novel about the Battle of Hastings and the lead up to that fateful event. That book was 'Housecarl' by Laurence J. Brown and having bought the book I duly settled down to read it. I thoroughly enjoyed it, not bad for a first novel if a little rough around the edges. Since then I occasionally have the pleasure of meeting the Author and have badgered him since 'Housecarl' about a sequel and lo and behold it has finally arrived 'Cold Heart, Cruel Hand' - and a great read it is too!
Once again we find the main hero to be the Saxon Ranulf Redbeard and the story involves his wife Alice, his son, Hal and their involvement in the rebellions that took place after William the Conquerer won at Hastings. There are several other minor characters who have important roles to play but I wont go into detail as it would spoil the story except to say that to be a Saxon in those days must have been challenging and Laurences book puts it over well.
Having bought it then - I took just 4 evenings to read it - I couldn't put it down as the story just flowed so well. As someone who's more into Astronomy and Space and Science Fiction I was amazed at how well the story caught my attention and held it - surely the mark of a good author. The flow of the story made me wonder seriously if it could be turned into a major blockbuster movie as it seems to have all the elements that are found in some of the more famous films of recent times so I hope this becomes an option.
Meanwhile all I can say is to order the book from Amazon and see for yourself.
Paul L Money