Profile for Ian Campbell > Reviews

Content by Ian Campbell

Ian Campbell (Oxford. England)

Page: 1 | 2
It's Kevin
It's Kevin
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Eldon's Brain, 8 April 2016
This review is from: It's Kevin (Amazon Video)
A glimpse into Eldon's brain. It moves with a visceral energy without the feeling of enforced wackiness all to often present in sketch shows. Many of the ideas contained are expansions or simply video versions of his also excellent radio program though I did not find this disappointing as they were excellent ideas to begin with. There is a vaguely dreamlike feel throughout in both the visual element and the content which adds to the feeling of Kevin's brain juice leaking onto the screen. The only down side is that other sketch shows appear less imaginative and sometimes even drab in comparison.

Prem-I-Air 20L/day Electronic Panel auto-restart Dehumidifier
Prem-I-Air 20L/day Electronic Panel auto-restart Dehumidifier
Offered by Sales Direct Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but noisy, 14 Dec. 2015
Does a very good job but is too noisy to use in the room that you are in.

Black + Decker KS500 Jigsaw 400 Watt
Black + Decker KS500 Jigsaw 400 Watt

3.0 out of 5 stars Satisfactory but not great., 14 Dec. 2015
Did the job and good value for money but It feels a bit 'wild' in your hand and blade insertion is a bit fiddly. On reflection I wish I had spent a bit more an got a better quality tool. About 10-15 years ago Black and Decker would not have made a tool as average quality as this. I have sinced moved to Bosch whose standard seems more consistent and is overall a higher quality albeit more expensive.

Sithmas on Hoth
Sithmas on Hoth

5.0 out of 5 stars Elvis meets Star Wars meets Christmas - what's not to like? Makes me want to Death Star jump, 14 Dec. 2015
This review is from: Sithmas on Hoth (MP3 Download)
Hot dang! Elvis meets Star Wars meets Christmas - what's not to like? Makes me want to Death Star jump!

The End Of Trying
The End Of Trying

5.0 out of 5 stars A little slice of heaven., 21 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The End Of Trying (Audio CD)
Nothing moves me more than the music of Dakota Suite. Nothing...

Wonders of Life
Wonders of Life
by Brian Cox

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book sometimes lacking detail, 13 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Wonders of Life (Hardcover)
An interesting read but at times I found the writing frustratingly lacking in detail which they attempt to address through fancy graphics. I suppose it is intended more as a starting point and it serves this function well.

The Defenestration Of St Martin
The Defenestration Of St Martin

5.0 out of 5 stars Gene-ius, 13 Feb. 2013
Apologies for the pun-ishing review title I couldn't resist but truly there are glimpses of genius here and a lot of it comes from the simplicity of its form. With just piano and vocal there is nowhere to hide and if you are a fan of Martin's unique voice and lyrics you won't want him to.

Zinsser ZN7020001D1 Primer-Sealer Stain Killer Paint 1 Litre
Zinsser ZN7020001D1 Primer-Sealer Stain Killer Paint 1 Litre
Offered by CTPaints

5.0 out of 5 stars Bye bye damp stains, 13 Feb. 2013
This is a great product. I had a recurring darker damp patch on my bedroom wall which I was repainting regularly with emulsion to cover up. I used two coats of this over the patch and the surrounding area then repainted with my regular emulsion. It has now been about six months and it still looks perfect.

Mid Air  Deluxe
Mid Air Deluxe

5.0 out of 5 stars Sparse and beautiful, 13 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Mid Air Deluxe (Audio CD)
This is one of those 'just stop everything you are doing and listen' albums which is a rare thing these days. There is a fragile beauty here which is amplified by the sparse instrumentation and some people my not like it for that reason. Listeners may find it connects them with buried inner sadness which some people will love and some people hate just as some like to talk about their problems and some do not. If you are a fan then you have to buy this, after all you aren't exactly spoilt for back catalogue and be sure to buy the 'deluxe' 2 cd version as it has ten extra tracks.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy [DVD] [1981]
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy [DVD] [1981]
Dvd ~ Simon Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid TV adaptation, 4 Sept. 2011
This is currently the only TV version of Douglas Adam's most popular work The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy recorded in 1981 for the BBC.
Adam's & co had the audacity to take on the project at a time before CGI ruled the world at a time when many scenes achieved in the 2005 Movie Adaptation were simply not possible to create with the technology of the time.
Personally I prefered the days when people built giant sets and crazy costumes so I am at home here.
I was 6 years old when I first sat this so can't truly review it unbiasedly now as it is rather ingrained in my mind also to my mind to compare this version to the 1979 book or the first broadcast radio version of 1978 is rather like comparing an oil painting to a sculpture so I won't.
If you enjoy Adam's humour in general then you should enjoy this version.
The cast and crew do very well for what by today's standards is a fairly low-budget affair. Both casting and acting are solid throughout and it truly does a noble job of covering the bulk of the scenes and subject matter covered by the books.
Basically if you enjoyed the book or the radio series then will most likely find this eventually and will doubtlessly come to your own conclusions but I like it and think it still looks and sounds great. I'm sure at some time this will be remade with much bigger budgets, more well known cast members and frequent, needless demonstrations of computer technology but I rather like it as it is.

Page: 1 | 2