Profile for F. Papadopoulos > Reviews

F. Papadopoulos (Greece)

Koerner Kids Costume Mount Dinosaur
Koerner Kids Costume Mount Dinosaur

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for a four year old, 18 Jan. 2013
Excelent material, very life-like. My grandson loves it; we use it as the basis for a lot of playing and story making-up

4M Kidz Labs Dig a Triceratops Skeleton
4M Kidz Labs Dig a Triceratops Skeleton

4.0 out of 5 stars good fun for me and grandson, 15 Dec. 2012
Takes quite some time to free the bones from the clay, and some accidents are nearly unavoidable.
The process itself is fun and has made a great impression on the boy.
It would be nice if the bones were a bit more scattered and the clay a bit more crumbly.
All in all, a very good idea, the product could be developed a bit further.

In the Devil's Garden: A Sinful History of Forbidden Food
In the Devil's Garden: A Sinful History of Forbidden Food
by Stewart Lee Allen

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for holiday reading, 5 Sept. 2012
I bought this book looking for a serious anthropological treatment of food; I didn't find it. Instead, I got for my money a few hours of enjoyable reading. Steward Lee Allen often gets his facts wrong (but so did Herodotus)he does make a valid point however: food is important enough to be identified down the centuries as a promising field of action by every elite that wants to reinforce its claim of control over the collective mind of a society.
In this sense, he triggered for me the thought of reading food literature in conjunction with Durkheim. I don't know how fruitful this road will be, I've just started it. All in all then, I got (unexpected) value for my nine pounds.

The War That Killed Achilles
The War That Killed Achilles
by Caroline Alexander

5.0 out of 5 stars The War that Killed Achilles, 27 Jan. 2012
Being interested in the classics for some decades, I thought I knew what to expect when purchasing this book; I didn't. Achilles emerges as a film noire hero, morally defective but in the end a descent chap. This book answers one important question and raises a new one. On the one hand, it explains what educated elites could see through the centuries into the narrative of Iliad; on the other, it makes one wonder about the psyche of that initial audience that allowed the early "Iliad" song to survive. Were they troubled aristocratic souls feeling trapped in the role cast upon them by a declining heroic era? Were their feasts around the big clay hearth of Nestor's palace excavated in Pylos melancholic, soul-searching, affairs where the sad music of Homer filled the air? This book indices you in many hours of fruitful speculation once you have finished reading it.

Empires and Barbarians
Empires and Barbarians
by Peter Heather

5.0 out of 5 stars Empires and Barbarians, 27 Jan. 2012
This review is from: Empires and Barbarians (Paperback)
A rare combination of great erudition and exciting story telling. This is one of the happy instances where cohesion is not sacrificed to comprehension. Thought provoking and surprising contemporary too; I was depressed when I discovered the close parallels of the patterns of behaviour of the Greek political system vis a vis the European Union with those of barbarian chieftains towards the Roman empire. All in all, I've spent a great summer holiday with this book.

Lamaze Soft Activity Puzzle
Lamaze Soft Activity Puzzle
Offered by Cambria Health Group

5.0 out of 5 stars Lamaze Soft Activity Puzzle, 27 Jan. 2012
My nine month old granddaughter is fascinated by this toy. At the moment she uses a fraction of the possibilities offered. Her mom is happy with the ease of cleaning the thing. All in all, a very good purchase at a very reasonable price.

Tribes: We need you to lead us
Tribes: We need you to lead us
by Seth Godin

1.0 out of 5 stars An over-simplistic prescription based on poor diagnosis., 6 Jun. 2011
I'm afraid that this is an over-simplistic book, one of the least satisfactory specimens of the how-to type bibliography.

It attempts to reduce the complexity of tribal consumption theory to a few recipes and in doing so, it implicitly promises that a smart marketing manager can actually turn a recalcitrant group of customers into a tame tribe.
I find this promise dangerously optimistic for managers and useless for university students.