Profile for Lynd. > Reviews

Lynd. (UK)

What's Happening to My Body? Book for Girls: Revised Edition
What's Happening to My Body? Book for Girls: Revised Edition
by Area Madaras

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic and comprehensive guide without embarrassment., 8 July 2010
I was given a copy of this book (an older edition of course!) when I was about 13, and I wish I'd had it earlier. I found the comprehensive guide to puberty very helpful - I could see from the diagrams etc where I 'was at' and also what was where on males and females' genetalia (I hadn't had the nerve to use a mirror yet!).

The section covering teenagers' questions was fantastic and really helped me to think about things I was too embarrassed to ask anyone. The fact that the authors were so honest and candid also helped me to feel there was nothing wrong with wanting to know about development and sex and relationships.

It would have been even more useful when I first started puberty around 11, although my school nurse at least got the girls up to speed on menstruation by then.

Growing Together: A Guide for Couples Getting Married
Growing Together: A Guide for Couples Getting Married
by Andrew Body

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book to work through, 17 Aug. 2009
We were given this by our vicar to form the basis of wedding prep discussions. In fact, the book does most of his hard work for him!

Each chapter addresses a particular topic from three perspectives: your background, your current position, and what may happen in the future. Each perspective then has questions for the couple to discuss. Some of these questions were issues we'd discussed long before; others were issues we'd never even considered.

It's an excellent book for helping you explore each other as complex unique individuals, and for helping you consider some of the questions which may arise weeks, months or even dacades into your marriage.

Heroes Adrift
Heroes Adrift
by Moira J. Moore
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Me? I loved it., 17 Aug. 2009
Yes, yes, there is much more about the characters and less action. Yes I miss the 'normal' life in High Scape and all the channeling.

But I love Lee and I love Taro, and getting a couple hundred pages of them developing was fantastic; this may even be my favourite so far.

The Stone Rose
The Stone Rose
by Carol Townend

5.0 out of 5 stars A long-standing favourite, 19 Dec. 2007
This review is from: The Stone Rose (Paperback)
This is the rare instance of a 'saga' novel which has struck the perfect balance between presenting a story that takes place over several years, with continuing the sense of a moving plot and character engagement. What in other novels are annoying 'detours' into other characters, are a key part of the colour and detail to the story here.

The portrayal of the era and locations are wonderful. Fans of medieval history will find it refreshingly accurate and plausible, while those without specialist interest will not be bored by unnecessary setting description a la Tolkein.

I won't go into plot, as the review-blurb above says enough, but I will finish by saying the Gwen has been one of my favourite characters for about a decade and I still can never put this down once I pick it up.

Blackthorn Winter
Blackthorn Winter
by Carol Townend

2.0 out of 5 stars A pity after the Stone Rose, 19 Dec. 2007
This review is from: Blackthorn Winter (Paperback)
I'm sad to say this book didn't really do it for me. In part it's because the main characters are all rather unsympathetic individuals (even Arlette disappoints after Gwen), and the overarching plot lines are neither as positive, nor as emotionally engaging, as those in The Stone Rose. I was left at the end thinking, well what was the point? Any psychological dvelopment by the characters was overwhelmed by the sense of futility I got from their eventual fates.

The historical setting remains as pitch-perfect as before, but I wish I'd never read it, to be honest.

I never liked Raymond anyway...

Flowers In The Attic [1987] [DVD]
Flowers In The Attic [1987] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Louise Fletcher
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

1.0 out of 5 stars What was the point?, 9 May 2006
I had been really looking forward to seeing the movie version of one of my favourite books. But this really wasn't it. The story was 'sanitised' I suppose, but that completely took the heart out of the entire plot (for fans of the book: no school-room mattress scene, no mirror scene, no tar, no whip) and it was left as a fairly poor, predictable, not-at-all scary B-movie. I can't speak for anyone who hasn't read the book, but for those who have, there really is no point watching it.

Dawn (The Cutler Family)
Dawn (The Cutler Family)
by The New Virginia Andrews

1.0 out of 5 stars Hack job with dead author's name, 9 May 2006
I was an enormous fan of Virginia Andrews and still love the books she actually wrote (Dollanganger series, My Sweet Audrina and most of the Casteel series). And then someone had the strange idea of using her name to write more books in her 'style'. Unfortunately, the 'carefully selectd writer' lost her voice, even when lifting text directly from her previous books (as the Cutler series does on a a number of occassions), and simply produced a tacky caricature of a Virginia Andrews book. And they have continued in this vein ever since, making money from a dead woman's name.

Don't bother. Go read Flowers in the Attic instead.

Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie (U.S. Version)
Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie (U.S. Version)
Offered by Qoolist

5.0 out of 5 stars put very simply..., 15 Sept. 2003
Jagged Little Pill was diamond edged, razor sharp and electric blue.
Supposed Former Infatuation Junkie is thick, rich, deep red velvet.
It's a very different feel, and won't be for everyone, but it is superb.