Profile for Mr. C J Hackforth > Reviews

Content by Mr. C J Hackforth

Mr. C J Hackforth (Whitehall, Pennsylvania.)

The Art of Travel
The Art of Travel
by Alain de Botton

5.0 out of 5 stars A Traveller's Perfect Companion, 15 Oct 2002
This review is from: The Art of Travel (Hardcover)
For many years I travelled around the world on business. It was exciting and somewhat startling to read my experiences again and again in the well chosen words of de Botton. I was particularly impressed by and enjoyed his use of the great writers to illustrate and to make his points. Another touch were the plentiful and apt illustrations that complete this book, a book that opens the eye of both the traveller and those who would like to travel. And it is just the right size to carry with one, at least the American edition by Pantheon Books is!
I shall give a copy to my daughter who also travels, confident that it will give her as much pleasure as it has given to me.

Murder at the National Gallery (Capital Crime Mysteries)
Murder at the National Gallery (Capital Crime Mysteries)
by Margaret Truman
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Thinly drawn main character does not allow one to empathize, 9 Mar 2001
This mystery should get five stars for Art History as well as for postponing the first murder so far into the novel that one has begun to wonder whether there will be a murder or not! I very much enjoyed the breadth and depth of the Caravaggio story as it is played out in Italy and Washington but I was disappointed by the thin characterization of the players in this novel. The hero or villain of the piece is difficult to empathize with. At times he really gets one feeling strongly about his love for the painter that one feels totally let down when he does or says something quite out-of-character. Overall an enjoyable and educational read but not, perhaps, one of Truman's better books. And I did enjoy it enough to gift a copy to my art-loving sister.