Profile for A.Bell > Reviews

Content by A.Bell

A.Bell "asupergav" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Mac for Beginners Vol. 2 (For Beginners)
Mac for Beginners Vol. 2 (For Beginners)
by Imagine Publishing

1.0 out of 5 stars Too skimpy, 30 Mar. 2011
I am no beginner to PC's, but recently I changed to a Mac and bought this book at W.H.Smith's. I found it leaves out references to parts of a task it tries to explain. Consequently, no matter how many times you go over the instructions, they still do not make any sense. A lot of the chapters I found mainly irrelevant to the common day-to-day computing usage. Each page or other page is a new 'tutorial', so you get the feeling that space has been compromised for clear instructions on tasks that you are more likely to use. The only thing in favour of this book are the short chapters, but what use are they if the authors skimped a little too much on information? Maybe it can be taken as a healthy sign that the authors feel the need to 'pad out' the book with trivia, because a Mac is so easy to use in its essential tasks?

Black CiberDirect Compatible Ink Cartridge Replacement for Canon CLI-8 BK.
Black CiberDirect Compatible Ink Cartridge Replacement for Canon CLI-8 BK.
Offered by Ciberdirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Service par excellence, 11 Mar. 2011
With today's ever increasing sophistication in the manufacture of printers, it's a lottery whenever you don't buy the original manufacturer's ink cartridges as to whether your printer will accept the foreign cartridge. It isn't until you actually fit the cartridge that you know you'll be ok (or not). With the high cost of branded cartridges, it becomes more important to shop around not only for inexpensive cartridges but also ones that will be accepted by your printer. So, it was with some trepidation that I purchased my first online cartridge through Amazon. I needn't have worried. The parcel came the very next day which is brilliant considering it wasn't that early in the day when I ordered it. I immediately tried out the cartridge in my Canon MP600 printer. I find this Canon model to be very choosy in it's acceptance of foreign cartridges evidenced by the number of such cartridges I've thrown away. If I was lucky, I could transfer the chip from a true Canon cartridge to the new one, but It can be very messy; it's not guaranteed to work; and you have to avoid touching the chip with your fingers. Much to my relief the printer accepted the new cartridge and all was well. Assuming you can't really go too wrong in printing with black (?), I have no hesitation in recommending Ciberdirect from which Amazon acquired the sale.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars The search contuinues..........., 7 Aug. 2010
I bought this shaver from the famous auction site to replace my aging non-descript Braun Activator for well below its RRP. On opening the box and taking the shaver out, I noticed how light it was and how stylish it looked. Both good points. Upon its use, I found I had a much closer shave than my Braun. How much this is due to its new cutter blades is a matter of speculation. However, running my fingers over shaved parts, I did notice patches of minute stubble left. This was the first disappointment, as reviews on the ES8109S511 model are excellent (I am assuming this is basically the same shaver based on Panasonic's chart of shavers). The second was the realisation that YOU CANNOT shave from the mains for a dry shave. Although I've been using electric shavers all my life, this is the first wet/dry shaver I have bought and so to find I was unable to shave directly from mains was unexpected, but understandable for safety reasons. However, I hadn't fully realised this option was missing and probably wouldn't have made the purchase otherwise, and most certainly not at the high prices quoted here as I am sure there are cheaper alternatives with the same results.

Don't get me wrong. Its shaving capabilities are very good, but I still take just as long shaving as when I use my old Braun. Maybe I set my standards too high and was expecting smooth skin for minimal effort. Sadly, that's not the case. I thought my search for the perfect electric shaver had ended with the purchase of this Panasonic shaver, but I'm afraid the search continues. I know things may improve with greater use, so I shall update this post as and when necessary.

UPDATE 15/2/12: I'm still using my old Braun shaver until I've exhausted the refills. Then I'll use this Panasonic full-time. However, I've been using it regularly for a couple of weeks now awaiting spare parts for the Braun. I am finding that pre-shave preparation of the stubble is far more important than I realised. I've started using a facial scrub I got for Christmas to wash my face. Then I apply a little shaving oil with plenty of water on my face before I shave and constantly lubricate my stubble with water during shaving. The last result was amazing. Easily the closest shave I've had in a long time. In fact I drew blood in quite a few areas, yet wasn't exceptionally sore afterwards. If this level of closeness continues, I shall be happy to upgrade my rating to 5 stars. I've already deleted an original moan I had above about the cord and charger weighing heavily, because in retrospect it doesn't and was an unfair comment.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2011 7:45 PM GMT

iGadgitz Black Genuine Leather Case Cover Holder for Apple iPhone 3G & 3GS 8gb, 16gb & 32gb + Screen Protector & Detachable Belt Clip
Offered by iGadgitz

4.0 out of 5 stars No nonsense case !, 29 May 2010
Bought this from Amazon on the recommendation of the reviews here. Fantastic service as I received it by ordinary post within 36 hours of ordering!
Applying the screen protector is a doddle if you carefully follow the easy instructions.
The bulkiness that some people mentioned isn't as bad as I expected. It's got to provide some protection, after all. Also opening the case with headphones attached isn't a big a problem as others have found. While there is adequate clearance for the camera lens, you have to be certain it isn't obstructed before taking photos. You have to make sure your fingers aren't in the way when taking pics with an ordinary camera, so is it really a big deal to make sure the lens isn't covered by the case? In fact all the apertures are well-aligned. The case fits snuggly and I didn't find it too tight as I could take the iphone out without tugging at it like you would a cork in a bottle.
The clip fastener is secure and much better than the magnetic ones that seem to be the rage. Gripes: you have to be careful to unclip the fastener of the case a certain way as otherwise the iphone can end up upside down in your hand. Also, despite being leather the case itself looks quite basic so if it's looks you're after look elsewhere. The detachable belt clip by its nature can get easily lost if, like me, you don't use it all that often. In conclusion for the price, I would have expected a bit more in the looks stakes hence the 4 star rating, but for functionality it ticks all the right boxes.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone doespite the ad!, 10 April 2010
I have the iPhone 3GS 16 Gb and I can understand why Apple's iPhone was voted best gadget of the decade. And there lies the rub. It is not merely a mobile, but a 'swiss-knife' tool that you can make calls with.

There are many apps for it, some more useful than others. For example, you can turn your iPhone into a TV or radio, but don't make the same mistake I did and spend money on apps that you can find for free.

The build quality is very good and the touch screen very responsive; something the satnav manufacturers should take note of. Talking of which you can download Tom Tom app for around £50 and hey presto your iPhone is a satnav! The quality of calls is far superior to the many mobile phones I've had before and in certain locations, depending on your network, these are as good if not better than calls made on a landline. You can access the internet wherever you are, so sending emails is a doddle.

The downside examples are that you need to be careful to touch the correct on-screen icons and buttons otherwise it will take you all over the place so it can be tricky accessing functions on the move. I find I have to charge my iPhone every night so battery life isn't great, but then I would expect that given its many functions I use. Some people also object as to what they see as Apple monopolising on the iPhone by making it difficult to download music, for insatnce, other than from iTunes, although it is perectly possible to download from other music sites as the latter have come to realise that they need to conform to iPhone's specifications, it being such a popular product. The camera is adequate but doesn't have a flash so not the best on a mobile, but videos you may take or download are of superlative quality. Alerts for receiving texts is standard fare, but this is not the case for receiving emails. Unless you subscribe to a service called MobileMe or download Google's free equivalent, you will not be notified of incoming emails. You have to go searching for them which is a further drain on the battery, and a nuisance.

If you're a techno-phobe looking for a decent mobile just to make and receive calls and aren't bothered with anything else, the iPhone is probably not for you despite what the ads say. But for us gadget lovers, it's what we've been waiting for. However, my gadget choice of the decade would not have been the iPhone. After all, we did have mobiles ten years ago, albeit basic by today's comparisons. I would have voted for Sky Plus.

Sennheiser MX 95 VC Style II- Premium Metal-crafted Stereo Earphones with Twist to Fit System and Integrated Volume Control

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly perfect!, 20 Mar. 2010
I wanted a pair of volume controlled earphones for my iPhone. I had purchased similar Sennheiser earphones before, albeit a different model, which are fantastic, after buying a pair of Sony ones which I was not at all impressed with. (I find Sony don't do audio as well as they do visual).So I ordered the Sennheiser MX95 VC style earphones. Amazon, as usual, made sure I was kept informed of my delivery every step of the way. I received them ok and tried them out. Perhaps I need to 'break them in', but I was a little disappointed when I first compared them to my old Sennheiser earphones which I still use for my iPod. Stereo effect and separation, bass quality and clarity were about the same with top marks given. But I found the fit not to be as good and hence outside noise crept in obtrusively. As I said, it may be that I need to wear them for a while so my ears adapt to the fit of the earphones. By gently pressing the new earphones and holding them in place for a while to test the sound confirmed that the sound was then just as good as the old earphones. Without holding them, I felt the bass didn't seem to have as much depth as my old ones.

Another minor moan of both Sennheiser earphones is that they have fiddly, removable rubber bungs which I know are an integral part of their 'twist and turn' fitting. But they are easily lost (personal experience). In conclusion. perhaps it's a testament to the superb sound quality of Sennheiser that I have to be so finnicky and picky about the gripes I have above. Well recommended!

Philips CD1351S/05 - Cordless Phone Answer Machine
Philips CD1351S/05 - Cordless Phone Answer Machine

2.0 out of 5 stars Philips CD1351S/05 - Cordless Phone Answer Machine, 16 Aug. 2008
Bought this phone on the recommendation of other reviewers and am wondering if we're talking about the same product!For the Philips CD1351S/05 telephone here are the pros and cons:

Pros:Looks nice and sleek and handles well.Light too.Doesn't take up much room and an easy set up.Inexpensive.

Cons: A lot of people won't like the handpiece doubling as an answering machine. Poor recording quality; very small letters and characters on the buttons so you have to have good eyesight. The playback features are an utter chore. Playing back new recordings is simple enough, but to playback saved messages is extremely difficult without the manual in front of you. Definitely not for technophobes! There is no audible alert of messages, just a very small orange light which flickers. So unless you remember to check the phone for msgs., you'll quite easily not notice the light blinking. I preferred the old seperate answer machines with the mini tapes, but sadly they're becoming difficult to find now. So, despite the low price, I found it disappointing.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 26, 2008 12:29 PM BST

Motorola V3 - O2 - Pay As You Go Mobile Phone
Motorola V3 - O2 - Pay As You Go Mobile Phone

5.0 out of 5 stars Slim and Sexy, 30 May 2005
Returned to Motorola after two years using the rubbish Sony Ericsson 610T.The Motorola is in a league of its own.Fell in love with it as soon as I saw it.Reception was a problem in the house with previous mobiles.Not so with this.The phone itself looks and feels quality.The 256k screen is stunning in its colours and navigation with the 4 way key couldn't be simpler, or more logical.Picture messaging and WAP browsing with the S.E. was a nightmare;not so with the V3, both functions performing with ease.The keypads compared to most phones are big which is a Godsend if you have chubby fingers like me.Bought the phone as an upgrade for £40 through T-mobile, but I was prepared and would have been happy to have paid full price for it (£250).Fantastic phone!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6