Profile for A.Bell > Reviews

Content by A.Bell

A.Bell "asupergav" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Apple Aperture 3, Full Version (Mac)
Apple Aperture 3, Full Version (Mac)

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't get into it, 8 Mar. 2014
Much as I try I cannot get used to working inside of Aperture. I find the interface very boring, the control panels housing the adjustment panels etc. confusing and just the general look and feel of Aperture is very flat and unappealing to me. Patience is required whilst navigating a pretty steep learning curve. In fact, most of my quick fixes I have preferred to do inside of iPhoto.

I have had Aperture since I first got a Mac in 2011 and Apple don't seem to have had much to do with it in terms of upgrades and much needed facelifts. It seems to have concentrated on updating iMovie and iPhoto instead and left Aperture behind. Having bought an unfortunately very boringly narrated video tutorial on learning Aperture hasn't helped matters in contrast to the free online videos of Adobe's Lightroom which is akin to Aperture in facility.

Although Lightroom is a little more expensive, I think the extra money is well spent because Lightroom is much more intuitive and fun to work with. There also appears to be far more control over individual parts of a photo in respect of Exposure, Saturation, Hue etc.

Aperture has been described as "iPhoto on steroids". But I don't find it is anything like iPhoto in terms of experience or feel.

DiskWarrior 4.4 Mac
DiskWarrior 4.4 Mac

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 20 Feb. 2014
This review is from: DiskWarrior 4.4 Mac (DVD-ROM)
I bought this after reading about its claims. Unfortunately, once purchased it has done very little in repairing or recovering files. I am using Mavericks OS on a (new-ish) iMac. Whenever I try to startup with the Disk Warrior CD-ROM, it refuses to load. As a workaround, I have had to install Disk Warrior on an external hard drive to operate it.

Having used it several times this way, it has successfully rebuilt the computer's directory, but has done little in the way of repairing faults. As an example, my icons kept disappearing on my Dock. I ran Disk Warrior, but it did nothing to resolve the issue. In the end, the fix was very simple (manually deleting the relevant .plist file) which I anticipated such a utility to handle. To be fair, this may not be what Disk Warrior is intended for, in which case what use is it?

In addition, there has not been a major update or much activity from the developers for this utility for a while which leads me to suspect that maybe the manufacturers have also given up on this. In my opinion, this is not worth investing in and the cost of this is better directed in extending the warranty on your computer. Very disappointing
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2014 10:30 AM BST

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work, 26 Nov. 2013
This is an expensive waste of time and money. Following the instructions to the letter for a good part of 8 months so far, sometimes applying more frequently than once a week and I still see no difference. Very disappointing.

Toilet Seat Hinge Fitting Pack White
Toilet Seat Hinge Fitting Pack White
Offered by The Home Store

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, 20 July 2013
Bought this 9 months ago and one of the hinges has now splintered at its base. I do not expect this to happen so soon in view of the fact my old one has lasted over 20 years.

PANASONIC ES-LV81-K803 5-blades Men's Shaver with Linear Motor
PANASONIC ES-LV81-K803 5-blades Men's Shaver with Linear Motor

5.0 out of 5 stars Very effective, 2 July 2013
Having read good reviews and not being very enthusiastic about current`typical' shavers, I decided to take the plunge and purchased the Panasonic ES LV81.

I've been using the shaver for three months and, from previous experience with other shavers, fully expected it not to be as good as when I first used it. Happily, I can say this is not the case.

I was pleasantly surprised how close this shaver performs. With ordinary wet shaving I can cut my self to pieces with no discernible difference in closeness. But this shaver shaves very close with minimal irritation. Admittedly, I take my time until I can no longer feel any stubble. Trouble is with previous shavers, I still felt stubble no matter how many times I went over the same area. This shaver with its high 14,000 rpm and unusual number of five shave heads and titanium nano technology makes for a really close shave.

The five cutting blades are not immediately apparent. There are two obvious ones on the shaver and, cleverly, three hidden in the detachable shaver head. This reduces space on the unit, although the total surface area of the head is still large. However, you get the feeling the extra blades make all the difference. The trimmer is shorter than some Panasonic models and as such gives a greater degree of control for trimming side burns etc. which it does effectively.

A smart blue LED on the grip displays remaining charge and the on/off button can be locked against accidental discharge during transit. Depending on usage, a single charge should last around a week. The shaver is charged directly through the power cord or via the cleaning unit. For safety, you cannot use the shaver while plugged in.

I use the cleaning unit when the charge runs down because the shaver is effectively cleaned under a hot tap after each shave. The cleaning part of the unit is composed of a small tablet in a cartridge to which you add water, thus avoiding an alcohol-based solution, which can corrode. The unit warns when the cartridge needs replacing and reminds you to change the water every 6 months.

The grip of the shaver is nice and comfortable and despite the large head is not unduly heavy. It isn't as quiet as other shavers like the latest Philips rotary shavers, but it isn't especially noisy either.

The shaver can be used wet or dry. For the first time, I am able to enjoy a true wet shave. Using foam, the resultant shave is so close, my next shave needn't be for another two mornings. Ironically, as a dry shaver, you'll find you'll still need to keep your skin wet, as after a few minutes the heat from the shaver tends to dry your skin so affecting easy movement over your chin

The obvious downside of the shaver, and any replacement head, is the price. If you have somewhere safe to let your shaver air-dry after a clean under the tap, you probably won't need the cleaning unit in which case have a look at the cheaper ES LV16 which I think is essentially the same shaver but without the cleaning unit.

There are other much cheaper shavers out there which will do an adequate job, but the chances are if you've read this far, you're thinking seriously about purchase. If so, go for it and prepare for the ultimate in electric shaving.

Zyon PC Desk w/ Keyboard Shelf - Pine effect w/ Wheels (PC, Monitor not included)
Offered by Dealstation

4.0 out of 5 stars Broad, Wide and right Height, 16 Jun. 2013
I've had a sturdy computer desk since 2000 which came with my Tiny CRT computer/monitor and I've had a few computer upgrades since then ending with my current late 2012 27" iMac. So I needed a bigger, lower desk. This seemed to fit the bill perfectly. When assembling, I found that the wood-effect is actually a Formica-type covering. But that doesn't detract from it looking like real wood. Assembly took a few good hours, but the finished product looks good. The bottom shelf is just about big enough for my Canon printer and I used the space next to it to house my sub-woofer as I don't have a computer tower. I can now have two speakers on either side of my computer without the left one teetering on the edge, propped up against the wall which was the case with my old set-up.

A small criticism is that the sliding keyboard shelf isn't as big as my old one. So, if you have a large keyboard and/or want to make notes on a jumbo pad, it gets a little cramped. Also, the assembly instructions are in the form of diagrams which, although well laid out, needs to be studied before assembly to identify not only parts, but the direction in which they should be assembled.

I have seen this product advertised for twice the price elsewhere. So, if you want a nice looking computer desk with loads of space on top, you can't go far wrong than purchasing this on Amazon.

Freecom 22767 USB Floppy Disk Drive - Black
Freecom 22767 USB Floppy Disk Drive - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Certainly did not work with my Macs, 7 Jun. 2013
Despite trying this product on all three of my Macs, it did not work as it was not recognised by Mac OS X. I even tried it with bootcamp version of Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro and although it was recognised, it would not load. This is all the more disappointing as I purchased this more expensive floppy disk drive based on reviews here stating it was Mac compatible. Indeed, there is mention of compatibility on the mini-disc it comes with, but, suspiciously, it is never mention again in the instructions which details only Windows installation. In comparison, my Liteon external optical DVD drive I bought on Amazon and which was considerably cheaper, is working fine.

PANASONIC ES-LV81-K803 Wet and Dry Razor (ESLV81K803 Electric razors)
PANASONIC ES-LV81-K803 Wet and Dry Razor (ESLV81K803 Electric razors)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 28 Jan. 2013

4.0 out of 5 stars Overkill as stand alone computer speakers ?, 16 Dec. 2012
Logitech 2.1 Speaker System Z623

I had to sell my Harman Kardon Soundsticks 111 speakers for my iMac due to intermittent loss of sound. I expected these Logitech speakers to sound just as good, though. So, the following review is based on these speakers being used as stand alone speakers for a computer system.

Set-up was a doddle. One thing I found a little disappointing was that although there is an on/off switch, volume and bass control on the right speaker, Logitech are following the trend of missing out a corresponding treble. Trying to compensate for this by turning the bass control down, merely results in the sound becoming cheap-sounding and tinny. I thought I could make up for this using iTunes equalizer and did have partial success. But what to do if the source has no equalizer or tone controls? Somehow, I still miss the treble control. Having said that, the sound coming from the two satellite speakers is deep, rich and powerful. The volume control augments the computer's and doesn't have to be turned up too much. The specs are truly impressive: total power output of 200W RMS (with a THX label). The two main speakers have magnetic shielding and are rated at 35W. The speaker with all the controls also has a headphone stereo jack .

The subwoofer is heavy and big and takes up a lot of space. At the back it has one stereo input and RCA inputs for connecting an external audio source. Its bass is profound and noticeable and both satellites delivered a fair amount of separation and mids, but I found the lack of top range frequency, i.e. treble, meant that definition, and clarity did not match my previous system. A fact that a treble control may have mitigated.

In conclusion, this system is a bit of an overkill as stand alone speakers serving your computer. It favours the bass range of frequency, having a noticeable lack of crispness in the upper range of the music scale. This, together with its lack of treble control and the enormous amount of room the sub woofer occupies results in a fair four star rating.

Is it as good as my previous Harman Kardon speakers? I guess so. But taking everything into consideration, including the price of these more expensive Logitech speakers, and the fact that the HK subwoofer weighs as light as a feather in comparison, I believe I would go back to the HK speakers if I had a choice. So, if you want speakers only for your computer that do not take up too much space, and you are not that bothered by having high-end specs and a heavy bass, then there are other impressive, less expensive speakers to choose from.

Soothagel 5ml
Soothagel 5ml
Offered by Health Plus Living

1.0 out of 5 stars Unhelpful, 21 Sept. 2012
This review is from: Soothagel 5ml (Personal Care)
I've used this described, but unfortunately, I have found no relief from the acute pain of a mouth ulcer. Will not be purchasing this again

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7