Profile for A.Bell > Reviews

Content by A.Bell

A.Bell "asupergav" (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Adobe Photoshop CS6 Classroom in a Book (Classroom in a Book (Adobe))
Adobe Photoshop CS6 Classroom in a Book (Classroom in a Book (Adobe))
by Adobe Creative Team
Price: 25.29

5.0 out of 5 stars This book should be issued with every installation of Photoshop, 31 May 2014
Being new to Adobe Photoshop, I wanted something which would teach me the basics. Video tutorials are far and wide, and while useful, cannot easily be collated into one assembly. As a complete novice to Photoshop, I also found some of them confusing, making the whole prospect of mastering something as “complex” as an advanced photo-imaging software, very daunting and almost off-putting.

Having said that, now I'm familiar with Photoshop, videos and articles make much more sense. That’s all thanks to this book, Adobe Photoshop: classroom in a book.

Having gone through the entire book, I'd say this is a must-read for anyone wanting to learn Adobe Photoshop starting from scratch, and, in my opinion, should be provided with every installation of Photoshop.

The authors take you by the hand and move you through each chapter, first making sure you can crawl, then teaching you how to walk your way through lessons.

The photographs and images in the lessons are all very clearly labeled and correspond well to the nearby text, making it extremely helpful for someone who doesn’t know their way around the interface.

There are mini questionnaires at the end of every chapter, probing your memory to see if you have learnt anything.

What this book doesn’t do is blind you with the science of how images are manipulated focusing, rather, on getting the steps right in achieving that end. Directions are straight to the point with minimal digression, yet hold your attention to the end of the chapter. Diagrams of layouts are extremely well presented with precise indications as to where everything is on the Photoshop Interface.

If I had to pick faults, I’d say some of the images you’re given to work with are bland and uninspiring. You are given seashells to move off a plate using Photoshop tools (?). In addition, if you are an experienced Photoshop user then this book may offer little. I happen to have bought both the CS6 and CC version of the paperbacks and aside from a few different illustrations and the few updates relevant to CC, the books are identical.

These minor points aside, this book is thoroughly recommended if you have no experience of using Adobe Photoshop.

Adobe Photoshop CC Classroom in a Book (Classroom in a Book (Adobe))
Adobe Photoshop CC Classroom in a Book (Classroom in a Book (Adobe))
by Adobe Creative Team
Price: 26.55

Being new to Adobe Photoshop, I wanted something which would teach me the basics. Video tutorials are far and wide, and while useful, cannot easily be collated into one assembly. As a complete novice to Photoshop, I also found some of them confusing, making the whole prospect of mastering something as “complex” as an advanced photo-imaging software, very daunting.

Acer Aspire E1-530 15.6-inch Laptop (Iron) - (Intel Pentium 1.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8.1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Things have certainly moved on...................., 5 April 2014
I got my first laptop in 2005, a Fujitsu Siemens, for around 600. I used to switch it on in the morning to log on when broadband was in its infancy, and I was lucky if I was online by lunchtime. I've since switched to a Macbook Pro.

However, got this Acer for my stepdaughter last Christmas and really, technology for entry level laptops has leapt so much that I was quite surprised. My experience of the computer is based on setting it up from start to finish, visiting a few sites and setting parental controls.

Setting up WiFi was a doddle. Switching on takes a matter of seconds and logging on, under 30 seconds. The screen isn't the brightest I've seen though you can tweak this, but as yet I have not seen a control for contrast. Tilt it at a certain angle, though, and the view is more than adequate. There is no indicator light for Cap Lock, but there are power options to prolong battery life which is good anyway.

Navigation of functions and sites is snappy considering it is classed as a budget laptop and is certainly a whole lot better than my first experience of a laptop which really wasn't fit for purpose. It has a full keypad, including numeric keys. On balance, it is not as heavy as some. It has 4 usb slots and it's nice to see that it loads DVD discs, bucking the trend of some latest machines. All-in-all, a basic but functional computer ideal for everyday tasks.

Taking into account the functionality of this machine at such a low price, it's a basic, few-frills laptop which does the job, and as such is lovely. Highly recommended.

Apple Aperture 3, Full Version (Mac)
Apple Aperture 3, Full Version (Mac)

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't get into it, 8 Mar 2014
Much as I try I cannot get used to working inside of Aperture. I find the interface very boring, the control panels housing the adjustment panels etc. confusing and just the general look and feel of Aperture is very flat and unappealing to me. Patience is required whilst navigating a pretty steep learning curve. In fact, most of my quick fixes I have preferred to do inside of iPhoto.

I have had Aperture since I first got a Mac in 2011 and Apple don't seem to have had much to do with it in terms of upgrades and much needed facelifts. It seems to have concentrated on updating iMovie and iPhoto instead and left Aperture behind. Having bought an unfortunately very boringly narrated video tutorial on learning Aperture hasn't helped matters in contrast to the free online videos of Adobe's Lightroom which is akin to Aperture in facility.

Although Lightroom is a little more expensive, I think the extra money is well spent because Lightroom is much more intuitive and fun to work with. There also appears to be far more control over individual parts of a photo in respect of Exposure, Saturation, Hue etc.

Aperture has been described as "iPhoto on steroids". But I don't find it is anything like iPhoto in terms of experience or feel.

DiskWarrior 4.4 Mac
DiskWarrior 4.4 Mac
Price: 86.19

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: DiskWarrior 4.4 Mac (DVD-ROM)
I bought this after reading about its claims. Unfortunately, once purchased it has done very little in repairing or recovering files. I am using Mavericks OS on a (new-ish) iMac. Whenever I try to startup with the Disk Warrior CD-ROM, it refuses to load. As a workaround, I have had to install Disk Warrior on an external hard drive to operate it.

Having used it several times this way, it has successfully rebuilt the computer's directory, but has done little in the way of repairing faults. As an example, my icons kept disappearing on my Dock. I ran Disk Warrior, but it did nothing to resolve the issue. In the end, the fix was very simple (manually deleting the relevant .plist file) which I anticipated such a utility to handle. To be fair, this may not be what Disk Warrior is intended for, in which case what use is it?

In addition, there has not been a major update or much activity from the developers for this utility for a while which leads me to suspect that maybe the manufacturers have also given up on this. In my opinion, this is not worth investing in and the cost of this is better directed in extending the warranty on your computer. Very disappointing

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work, 26 Nov 2013
This is an expensive waste of time and money. Following the instructions to the letter for a good part of 8 months so far, sometimes applying more frequently than once a week and I still see no difference. Very disappointing.

Toilet Seat Hinge Fitting Pack White
Toilet Seat Hinge Fitting Pack White
Offered by The Home Store
Price: 5.45

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, 20 July 2013
Bought this 9 months ago and one of the hinges has now splintered at its base. I do not expect this to happen so soon in view of the fact my old one has lasted over 20 years.

PANASONIC ES-LV81-K803 5-blades Men's Shaver with Linear Motor
PANASONIC ES-LV81-K803 5-blades Men's Shaver with Linear Motor

5.0 out of 5 stars Very effective, 2 July 2013
Having read good reviews and not being very enthusiastic about current`typical' shavers, I decided to take the plunge and purchased the Panasonic ES LV81.

I've been using the shaver for three months and, from previous experience with other shavers, fully expected it not to be as good as when I first used it. Happily, I can say this is not the case.

I was pleasantly surprised how close this shaver performs. With ordinary wet shaving I can cut my self to pieces with no discernible difference in closeness. But this shaver shaves very close with minimal irritation. Admittedly, I take my time until I can no longer feel any stubble. Trouble is with previous shavers, I still felt stubble no matter how many times I went over the same area. This shaver with its high 14,000 rpm and unusual number of five shave heads and titanium nano technology makes for a really close shave.

The five cutting blades are not immediately apparent. There are two obvious ones on the shaver and, cleverly, three hidden in the detachable shaver head. This reduces space on the unit, although the total surface area of the head is still large. However, you get the feeling the extra blades make all the difference. The trimmer is shorter than some Panasonic models and as such gives a greater degree of control for trimming side burns etc. which it does effectively.

A smart blue LED on the grip displays remaining charge and the on/off button can be locked against accidental discharge during transit. Depending on usage, a single charge should last around a week. The shaver is charged directly through the power cord or via the cleaning unit. For safety, you cannot use the shaver while plugged in.

I use the cleaning unit when the charge runs down because the shaver is effectively cleaned under a hot tap after each shave. The cleaning part of the unit is composed of a small tablet in a cartridge to which you add water, thus avoiding an alcohol-based solution, which can corrode. The unit warns when the cartridge needs replacing and reminds you to change the water every 6 months.

The grip of the shaver is nice and comfortable and despite the large head is not unduly heavy. It isn't as quiet as other shavers like the latest Philips rotary shavers, but it isn't especially noisy either.

The shaver can be used wet or dry. For the first time, I am able to enjoy a true wet shave. Using foam, the resultant shave is so close, my next shave needn't be for another two mornings. Ironically, as a dry shaver, you'll find you'll still need to keep your skin wet, as after a few minutes the heat from the shaver tends to dry your skin so affecting easy movement over your chin

The obvious downside of the shaver, and any replacement head, is the price. If you have somewhere safe to let your shaver air-dry after a clean under the tap, you probably won't need the cleaning unit in which case have a look at the cheaper ES LV16 which I think is essentially the same shaver but without the cleaning unit.

There are other much cheaper shavers out there which will do an adequate job, but the chances are if you've read this far, you're thinking seriously about purchase. If so, go for it and prepare for the ultimate in electric shaving.

Zyon PC Desk w/ Keyboard Shelf - Pine effect w/ Wheels (PC, Monitor not included)
Offered by Dealstation
Price: 99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Broad, Wide and right Height, 16 Jun 2013
I've had a sturdy computer desk since 2000 which came with my Tiny CRT computer/monitor and I've had a few computer upgrades since then ending with my current late 2012 27" iMac. So I needed a bigger, lower desk. This seemed to fit the bill perfectly. When assembling, I found that the wood-effect is actually a Formica-type covering. But that doesn't detract from it looking like real wood. Assembly took a few good hours, but the finished product looks good. The bottom shelf is just about big enough for my Canon printer and I used the space next to it to house my sub-woofer as I don't have a computer tower. I can now have two speakers on either side of my computer without the left one teetering on the edge, propped up against the wall which was the case with my old set-up.

A small criticism is that the sliding keyboard shelf isn't as big as my old one. So, if you have a large keyboard and/or want to make notes on a jumbo pad, it gets a little cramped. Also, the assembly instructions are in the form of diagrams which, although well laid out, needs to be studied before assembly to identify not only parts, but the direction in which they should be assembled.

I have seen this product advertised for twice the price elsewhere. So, if you want a nice looking computer desk with loads of space on top, you can't go far wrong than purchasing this on Amazon.

Freecom 22767 USB Floppy Disk Drive - Black
Freecom 22767 USB Floppy Disk Drive - Black
Price: 25.68

1.0 out of 5 stars Certainly did not work with my Macs, 7 Jun 2013
Despite trying this product on all three of my Macs, it did not work as it was not recognised by Mac OS X. I even tried it with bootcamp version of Windows 7 on my Macbook Pro and although it was recognised, it would not load. This is all the more disappointing as I purchased this more expensive floppy disk drive based on reviews here stating it was Mac compatible. Indeed, there is mention of compatibility on the mini-disc it comes with, but, suspiciously, it is never mention again in the instructions which details only Windows installation. In comparison, my Liteon external optical DVD drive I bought on Amazon and which was considerably cheaper, is working fine.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6