Profile for A.Bell > Reviews

TomTom GO 60 6-inch Sat Nav with Lifetime Map of UK, ROI and Traffic
TomTom GO 60 6-inch Sat Nav with Lifetime Map of UK, ROI and Traffic

3.0 out of 5 stars No real advantage, 24 April 2015
TOM TOM 60

I missed my Tom Tom app on my previous Android phone and had to make do with other satnav apps so I am a big fan of Tom Tom.

I bought a Tom Tom XL in 2005. Ten years and a failing battery later, I decided it was time to see how far SatNav technology had progressed and bought the Tom Tom 60 through Amazon's 'lightening' deals, which sees a product substantially reduced in price for a limited time. My original Tom Tom XL still works, but the battery doesn't hold its charge, which is not a big issue once connected to the car.

Firstly, I was struck how large the screen is. Yet, it's not that heavy. The response time from switching it on to it becoming fully operational is quicker. I'm afraid it all went downhill from there. Turning the device on, I immediately noticed the low contrast compared to my previous model and there is no real way of adjusting this. There is a more limited range of map colours than my XL, but this is down to individual preference and no big deal to me. Trying to obtain updates from the Tom Tom site proved difficult. It updated some features but refused to finish them all.

Coming from a touch-sensitive iPhone, I found the resistive touch sensitivity on the Tom Tom awkward at first as it doesn't seem as responsive as the XL, but happily I am getting used to it.

Over a month on, I am still unsure about this device. Inputting destination settings seem to be unduly complicated, although it seems to find the relevant address quickly enough. I did find myself driving in the wrong direction once as the device calculated my previous route and not the current one. There is no clear statement of destination and I found myself double checking the route on every journey.

Fixing it to the windscreen is certainly much easier, but because of its size, can obscure your vision if not thoughtfully placed. I tried the voice control with limited success. It failed to recognize my verbal instructions on several occasions. If you consider Google voice control highly, as a 10, then I would assess the Tom Tom's comparable performance a mere 4 out of ten.

The traffic update feature, which is missing on the XL, is useful once your mobile is tethered to the GO 60. Obviously, this requires possession of a mobile and a bit of fiddling in Settings to tether. Once set up, on short journeys at least, all is fine.

I am very surprised, given the vast improvement in mobile technology in recent years and the production of mobile navigation apps, that Tom Tom seems to have fallen by the wayside. In my view, This Tom Tom GO 60 possesses no vast advantage to earlier versions or even the current Tom Tom mobile app. The traffic update feature may be useful in indicating how long you may be waiting in a traffic jam and has a useful route diversion feature. But live updates notwithstanding, earlier versions and current satnav apps have re-routing features as standard. It would have been nice if there were a contrast control, better touch sensitivity and an ever-present indication of your destination.

I bought the Tom Tom 60 at less than half the price of the original Tom Tom XL, yet I feel the Tom Tom XL represents the better value. I am struggling to justify the GO 60 purchase. Had this later model not been offered at a substantially reduced price, a swift return for a refund would have been the likely outcome or, more probably, I wouldn't have purchased it in the first place.

To be fair, it's still early days and I'm still getting the hang of it. I may find things I can do I previously thought weren't possible. At the moment, I don't feel confident enough to let go of my old Tom Tom XL until I've mastered the operation of this one.

Pros:

* Big screen
* Quick operation from switch it on
* Live Traffic Updates
* Quick search results
* Easier fixing to windscreen
* Relatively inexpensive

Cons:

* Large screen can obscure vision
* Low contrast makes viewing map difficult
* Requires fully charged mobile phone for tethering
* No clear Destination statement
* Wouldn't update from Tom Tom site
* Hesitant touch sensitivity
* Several more clicks and checks required before finally starting your journey
* Hit and miss voice commands.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2015 10:32 AM BST

Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox One)
Call of Duty: Ghosts (Xbox One)

3.0 out of 5 stars There is too much faffing around with the storyline. ..., 4 Mar. 2015
There is too much faffing around with the storyline, especially at the beginning. So there are long periods when you don't do anything. Honestly, I prefer Medal Of Honor Airborne even taking into account the inferior graphics in this early generation Xbox game. The play is a lot more engaging and immersive which makes it so much more exciting. I honestly cannot see the advantage purchasing this game over the Xbox 360 version as the latter is a lot cheaper which may make it more attractive to potential buyers. If you're stuck with Xbox One, though, this isn't a bad game by any means. Just shop around for the lowest price or get it pre-owned to make it a worthwhile purchase. I certainly would not pay Microsoft's exorbitant asking price for downloading it from the Xbox One store, though.

Elgato Video Capture, Digitise Video for Mac, PC or iPad (USB 2.0), white
Elgato Video Capture, Digitise Video for Mac, PC or iPad (USB 2.0), white

3.0 out of 5 stars Also works with Macs, 8 Sept. 2014
Bought this to transfer my video 8 movies (PAL format) onto my iMac for editing and then making DVD's. For such undemanding stuff, it worked fine and has made life a lot easier. After downloading the Elgato app necessary for the transfer process, everything was pretty much straightforward. Some reviewers issues seem to be with compatibility, so do some research that this device will work with your equipment, if in doubt.
UPDATE 20/9/14* Downgraded 2 stars because having worked with this for a while, I've found it's all too easy to stop recording from Elgato and NOT capture your footage, in which case you have to start again and because the capture is in REAL TIME, you have wasted all that time if you stop recording and haven't made sure you have captured your footage on to your computer. There is no facility or precaution to prevent you doing this. Also, if you let your Mac sleep, this stops any recording from the Elgato, so you have to make sure you computer is on while recording is taking place.

Adobe Photoshop CS6 Classroom in a Book (Classroom in a Book (Adobe))
Adobe Photoshop CS6 Classroom in a Book (Classroom in a Book (Adobe))
by Adobe Creative Team

5.0 out of 5 stars This book should be issued with every installation of Photoshop, 31 May 2014
Being new to Adobe Photoshop, I wanted something which would teach me the basics. Video tutorials are far and wide, and while useful, cannot easily be collated into one assembly. As a complete novice to Photoshop, I also found some of them confusing, making the whole prospect of mastering something as “complex” as an advanced photo-imaging software, very daunting and almost off-putting.

Having said that, now I'm familiar with Photoshop, videos and articles make much more sense. That’s all thanks to this book, Adobe Photoshop: classroom in a book.

Having gone through the entire book, I'd say this is a must-read for anyone wanting to learn Adobe Photoshop starting from scratch, and, in my opinion, should be provided with every installation of Photoshop.

The authors take you by the hand and move you through each chapter, first making sure you can crawl, then teaching you how to walk your way through lessons.

The photographs and images in the lessons are all very clearly labeled and correspond well to the nearby text, making it extremely helpful for someone who doesn’t know their way around the interface.

There are mini questionnaires at the end of every chapter, probing your memory to see if you have learnt anything.

What this book doesn’t do is blind you with the science of how images are manipulated focusing, rather, on getting the steps right in achieving that end. Directions are straight to the point with minimal digression, yet hold your attention to the end of the chapter. Diagrams of layouts are extremely well presented with precise indications as to where everything is on the Photoshop Interface.

If I had to pick faults, I’d say some of the images you’re given to work with are bland and uninspiring. You are given seashells to move off a plate using Photoshop tools (?). In addition, if you are an experienced Photoshop user then this book may offer little. I happen to have bought both the CS6 and CC version of the paperbacks and aside from a few different illustrations and the few updates relevant to CC, the books are identical.

These minor points aside, this book is thoroughly recommended if you have no experience of using Adobe Photoshop.

Adobe Photoshop CC Classroom in a Book (Classroom in a Book (Adobe))
Adobe Photoshop CC Classroom in a Book (Classroom in a Book (Adobe))
by Adobe Creative Team

Being new to Adobe Photoshop, I wanted something which would teach me the basics. Video tutorials are far and wide, and while useful, cannot easily be collated into one assembly. As a complete novice to Photoshop, I also found some of them confusing, making the whole prospect of mastering something as “complex” as an advanced photo-imaging software, very daunting.

Acer Aspire E1-530 15.6-inch Laptop (Iron) - (Intel Pentium 1.8GHz, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8.1)
Offered by Citadel_09

5.0 out of 5 stars Things have certainly moved on...................., 5 April 2014
I got my first laptop in 2005, a Fujitsu Siemens, for around £600. I used to switch it on in the morning to log on when broadband was in its infancy, and I was lucky if I was online by lunchtime. I've since switched to a Macbook Pro.

However, got this Acer for my stepdaughter last Christmas and really, technology for entry level laptops has leapt so much that I was quite surprised. My experience of the computer is based on setting it up from start to finish, visiting a few sites and setting parental controls.

Setting up WiFi was a doddle. Switching on takes a matter of seconds and logging on, under 30 seconds. The screen isn't the brightest I've seen though you can tweak this, but as yet I have not seen a control for contrast. Tilt it at a certain angle, though, and the view is more than adequate. There is no indicator light for Cap Lock, but there are power options to prolong battery life which is good anyway.

Navigation of functions and sites is snappy considering it is classed as a budget laptop and is certainly a whole lot better than my first experience of a laptop which really wasn't fit for purpose. It has a full keypad, including numeric keys. On balance, it is not as heavy as some. It has 4 usb slots and it's nice to see that it loads DVD discs, bucking the trend of some latest machines. All-in-all, a basic but functional computer ideal for everyday tasks.

Taking into account the functionality of this machine at such a low price, it's a basic, few-frills laptop which does the job, and as such is lovely. Highly recommended.

Apple Aperture 3, Full Version (Mac)
Apple Aperture 3, Full Version (Mac)

2.0 out of 5 stars Can't get into it, 8 Mar. 2014
Much as I try I cannot get used to working inside of Aperture. I find the interface very boring, the control panels housing the adjustment panels etc. confusing and just the general look and feel of Aperture is very flat and unappealing to me. Patience is required whilst navigating a pretty steep learning curve. In fact, most of my quick fixes I have preferred to do inside of iPhoto.

I have had Aperture since I first got a Mac in 2011 and Apple don't seem to have had much to do with it in terms of upgrades and much needed facelifts. It seems to have concentrated on updating iMovie and iPhoto instead and left Aperture behind. Having bought an unfortunately very boringly narrated video tutorial on learning Aperture hasn't helped matters in contrast to the free online videos of Adobe's Lightroom which is akin to Aperture in facility.

Although Lightroom is a little more expensive, I think the extra money is well spent because Lightroom is much more intuitive and fun to work with. There also appears to be far more control over individual parts of a photo in respect of Exposure, Saturation, Hue etc.

Aperture has been described as "iPhoto on steroids". But I don't find it is anything like iPhoto in terms of experience or feel.

DiskWarrior 4.4 Mac
DiskWarrior 4.4 Mac

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't waste your money, 20 Feb. 2014
This review is from: DiskWarrior 4.4 Mac (DVD-ROM)
I bought this after reading about its claims. Unfortunately, once purchased it has done very little in repairing or recovering files. I am using Mavericks OS on a (new-ish) iMac. Whenever I try to startup with the Disk Warrior CD-ROM, it refuses to load. As a workaround, I have had to install Disk Warrior on an external hard drive to operate it.

Having used it several times this way, it has successfully rebuilt the computer's directory, but has done little in the way of repairing faults. As an example, my icons kept disappearing on my Dock. I ran Disk Warrior, but it did nothing to resolve the issue. In the end, the fix was very simple (manually deleting the relevant .plist file) which I anticipated such a utility to handle. To be fair, this may not be what Disk Warrior is intended for, in which case what use is it?

In addition, there has not been a major update or much activity from the developers for this utility for a while which leads me to suspect that maybe the manufacturers have also given up on this. In my opinion, this is not worth investing in and the cost of this is better directed in extending the warranty on your computer. Very disappointing
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 13, 2014 10:30 AM BST

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work, 26 Nov. 2013
This is an expensive waste of time and money. Following the instructions to the letter for a good part of 8 months so far, sometimes applying more frequently than once a week and I still see no difference. Very disappointing.

Toilet Seat Hinge Fitting Pack White
Toilet Seat Hinge Fitting Pack White
Offered by Trade In Post Limited

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap, 20 July 2013
Bought this 9 months ago and one of the hinges has now splintered at its base. I do not expect this to happen so soon in view of the fact my old one has lasted over 20 years.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6