Profile for Dudley > Reviews

Content by Dudley

Dudley

HP ENVY Ultrabook 6-1010ea Beats Audio, 3rd generation Intel® CoreTM i5-3317U processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Battery life of up to 9 hours
Offered by IHI

4.0 out of 5 stars Good laptop with some reservations, 3 Oct 2013
I needed to update my laptop from my present HP DV6700 which has been great, to one with a bigger hard disc and USB 3 ports. As I am left handed, most of the laptops were no good for me due to the touchpads being mounted to the left hand side of the laptop. This left me only with Compact or HP laptops. I opted for the HP models as I did not like the rough feel of the Compact touchpads.

The speed of this model is very good although the touchpad is not quite as good as my old model with the separate buttons for left and right click, but the scroll function part of it is much better than the single finger scroll of the old model. Also the battery life is far better than the old model, even though it has had a new battery fitted recently. As far as the screen goes, I am fine with the resolution for my uses but the audio speakers on this are poor, particularly compared with my old laptop that has Altec Lansing speakers fitted. I brought this model from Amazon as a used model that ended up still with its plastic rapping attached.

Joanna Gardner
Joanna Gardner

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, 2 Oct 2013
This review is from: Joanna Gardner (Audio CD)
I was listening on my favourite internet radio station, Retro Soul Radio when they played a song from this alburn. The track was called "Pick Up The Pieces" and although I had heard it before, I had no idea who the singer was. I checked out the details and found it was Joanna Gardner and decided to buy it on the strength of this one song. It arrived promptly from Amazon and I was not disappointed with the rest of the songs on the CD. There are guest vocals from Eugene Wilde no less. The CD is from 1985 and previously she had recorded backing vocals with UK group, Loose Ends on "Hanging On A String" who apparently had discovered her while they were in the USA. Great singer, highly recommended.

One For All URC 7140 Essence 4 Universal remote
One For All URC 7140 Essence 4 Universal remote

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 14 Feb 2013
I have a Samsung TV, Humax PVR and an LG DVD player/recorder. My Humax remote has a learning function but would not learn the Samsung TV code. After repeatedly contacting Humax about this problem and getting no reply, I decided to take a chance on the One For All device. After about 10 minutes of reading the first few pages it took me less than 1 minute to program in all three items. Much to my amazement, everything worked as it should - the remote was far better laid out than the Humax remote and now all three devices were operated in the same way. The only thing I had to additionally program in was the media button for the Humax which allows you to see what programs have been recorded. I used the learning function for this, however it only took about 1 minute to do program this. You rarely have to use the mode button to switch between devices as the function buttons can be assigned to only operate a particular device. I am now seriously thinking about buying another One For All for my set-up downstairs.

As a footnote, on a recommendation, my friend brought one of these remotes and programmed all his items apart from a new Marranz tuner he had just brought. We used the learning function for this which takes longer to set-up but we still ended up with a very good system remote control for all 4 of his items. Highly recommended!

Creative GigaWorks T20 Series II (2.0) Multimedia Speakers with BasXPort Technology

5.0 out of 5 stars Good sounding speakers for the price, 23 Feb 2011
Some time ago I brought some Harman Kardon series 2 sound sticks for playing music in the main bedroom and was impressed by these speakers with their separate base unit. More recently I wanted to add another pair to one of the other bedrooms and took a chance on the Creative Gigaworks T40 series 2 as I did not want a separate base unit. I found these speakers very impressive as they had a smoother treble and a tighter base than the sound sticks. As a result of this, I decided to purchase the Creative Gigaworks T20 series 2 speakers for the kitchen. They arrived from Amazon very quickly, even though I opted for standard delivery on this item. The difference between the T20 and T40 is in my opinion little, the T40's base is slightly better and they can go up to higher volumes although unless you have a large room, both models can fill a small to medium sized room with no problem. The speakers are in my opinion, attractive and both models are very good value for money.

The hum from the transformer that some other reviewers have mentioned do not appear on either of these power units, they are completely quite. I wonder if this only happened on the earlier series 1 T20's and T40's?