Profile for S. A. Baker > Reviews

Content by S. A. Baker

S. A. Baker "Hove" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic Desktop - Keyboard, Mouse and Numeric Pad (L5V-00006)
Price: 66.78

4.0 out of 5 stars Nearly as good as the original wired Microsoft Natural Keyboard, 16 July 2014
At last I've found a keyboard that's almost as good as the original Microsoft Natural Keyboard (wired) from about the turn of the millennium.

Having said that, there are a few points that may annoy you:

The mouse is big, heavy and heavily biased to right-handers. I'm ambidextrous but prefer to use my mouse with my left hand simply because of how my desk is arranged - I've now had to move it to use my right hand.

The keyboard is similarly heavy, so although it's relatively compact, you wouldn't want to lug it around for use with your laptop.

The description mentions it's a Bluetooth connection; it is not, which more me is great as Bluetooth has never worked well for me on my desktop machine with a Bluetooth dongle. There is a standard nano-dongle hidden in the body of the mouse.

Overall I'd rate this between 3 and 5 stars depending on whether you're a lefty or a righty. I'm both so rated it 4 stars.

LogiLink 1.3m R-SMA Male Connector Magnet Antenna Base with RG174 Cable
LogiLink 1.3m R-SMA Male Connector Magnet Antenna Base with RG174 Cable
Price: 10.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Fails the Ronseal test..., 29 Jun 2013
As reported by another reviewer, this item is ABSOLUTELY NOT MAGNETIC. I have magnetic antennae already, and in no sense whatsoever is this sticking to the same surfaces my others do.

One the plus side, I didn't want or need the magnetic attachment, and this provide slots on the base to allow it to be bolted to a surface so meets my requirements perfectly.

So beware - if you want the magnetic attachement stay away. If you just want an antenna base to be attached by another means to a surface, this may well be for you as it is for me.

UPDATE 1: Just bought a second of these (Nov 2013), and again absolutely no magnet in it whatsoever - as before, perfect for what I need but useless for what it claims to be.

UPDATE 2: Just bought a third of these (March 2014). It now DOES have a magnet, although it's pathetic compared to others I've used - I wouldn't stick it to your car roof. Unfortunately they've removed the holes which allowed it to be bolted down, now making it completely useless for me.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Abolutely Fabulous, 26 Mar 2013
If you're looking out for a digital oscilloscope, and don't want to fill your desk with an old stype one, but do want top quality output, withoout paying many hundred, this is the only solution. It works well with my iPhone 3GS, my son's iPad, and my iPad mini.In fact I'd not rather has this that a full proce scope due to its easy touch screen configuration, rather than fiddling with all those knobs.

BEECHFIELD CHUNKY KNIT BEANY BEANIE HAT - 3 COLOURS (SMOKE GREY)
BEECHFIELD CHUNKY KNIT BEANY BEANIE HAT - 3 COLOURS (SMOKE GREY)
Offered by TEAM SOUTH WEST Ltd.
Price: 2.30

5.0 out of 5 stars Beechfield brilliance, 26 Mar 2013
I have several normal knnit beanies, but these are the warmest, best fit and dare I say it better looking of all of them

High Quality 3D Cinema Glasses - Red and Blue
High Quality 3D Cinema Glasses - Red and Blue
Offered by Tiny Deal
Price: 0.57

2.0 out of 5 stars Too red, 26 Mar 2013
I know these are cheap, but that's not an excuse; the red is too deep leaving you feeling blind in the left eye. They worked, but watching videos just made my left eye ache as the iris stuggled to open up enough to compensate for the lack of red light.

Sennheiser PC 8 USB Internet Telephony On-Ear Headset
Sennheiser PC 8 USB Internet Telephony On-Ear Headset
Price: 27.90

3.0 out of 5 stars No cheap and sound quality lacking, 26 Mar 2013
I bought these to test whether some flaws on my VoIP calls we due to my current Microsoft Headset from work. The problems weren't due to the headset, and the Sennheiser equivalents were more expensive, less well built, and poorer audio quality. I binned them as a result.

They work, don't get me wrong, but just not as well as the ones I had already, so a dissappointment overall.

XE-CREE New GU10 3*3 9W Dimmable LED Spotlight Bulb Cool White
XE-CREE New GU10 3*3 9W Dimmable LED Spotlight Bulb Cool White

1.0 out of 5 stars The brightest LED Halogen replacements but still the shortest lived., 26 Mar 2013
I ordered 4 of these latest CREE lights to replace a previous generation which were dying much faster than standard halogens, probably through overheating. Of the 4, one has just died this morning in the same way as the others at a month old. The light levels when they work are the only ones which are as bright as or brighter than the halogen equivalents, but until they live up to their 10 yr guarantee, they are worthless.

Update: It's now 6 weeks since I ordered 4 of these. Two have now failed definitely confirming these are still be brightest, most expensive and yet most prone to failing Halogen replacement lamps available. I've just tested the last failed light, and it was one of the 3 LEDs which had failed. Powered separately from the Lab Power Supply (don't do this at home using the mains!), two of the LEDs were blindingly bright, the other a bairly visible soft glow.

@Amazon: please pass this feedback to the maufacturers. I've now spent probably near 200 on these, and that's a lot of money for something that lasts a month. However, in preference to having my money back, I want lights that work; these are the ones with the best potential, but at the moment, they still have significant improvements to be made.

Update 2: Two months since purchase, and 3 out of 4 have blown making these the brightest but most extortionately priced bulbs ever.

Beechfield Trawler Beanie COLOUR Mustard SIZE ONE SIZE
Beechfield Trawler Beanie COLOUR Mustard SIZE ONE SIZE
Offered by Gold-Direct-UK (Leisure & Workwear)
Price: 2.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Trawler beanie the best, 26 Mar 2013
I have probably 10 beanies, many from Beechfield, and their all good. However this one, and the other 2 chunky knit Beechfield beanies are by far the warmest, and this one, with it's Trawler fisherman style and colour is just that bit different and interesting compared to all the dull colours of all my others. I'd thoroughly recommend to others who feel like code winter winds.

SainSmart Pocket-Sized Digital Oscilloscope ARM DSO Nano DSO201
SainSmart Pocket-Sized Digital Oscilloscope ARM DSO Nano DSO201
Offered by P&A
Price: 49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great function, great price, awful GUI, awful manual, 9 Aug 2012
As many have said already, within the bounds of what this device can do, it's fanatastic. If you have some 20 yr old analog scope experience (that's when I last touched 'scope), you should be able to make this do what the analog scope could do. What else it's capable doing, I haven't the faintest as the instructions are less than useless.

But to get the net context set right, I bought it to solve a problem in a preamp I built 12 years ago which had just broken. I'd tracked down the error as far I could with a multimeter, and then next step needed a 'scope. Within 5 minutes the problem was found, and fixed shortly after. For that alone, it's proved its value many times over.

Hama Nano Bluetooth USB Adapter, Version 2.1+EDR Class2
Hama Nano Bluetooth USB Adapter, Version 2.1+EDR Class2
Price: 9.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A bluetooth dongle that works on Windows 7 64bit?, 1 Aug 2012
I supect many of you out there have been on the same quest as I have - to find a bluetooth dongle for Windows 7 64 bit for a desktop computer. OK, perhaps not many, but at least several?

Well stop looking - this is it. Forget the other big names - any dongle using the standard driver and software won't prove stable enough to run a keyboard and mouse. But this one does, finally allowing me to use my Microsoft 6000 keyboard - the only keyboard which ticks all my boxes.

Any faults? Yes, my bios either doesn't enable bluetooth, or the dongle isn't seen as owning a keyboard, but whichever, my box won't boot without a keyboard wireless dongle in just for the bios boot.

P.S. As a previous review has already said, make sure you install the provided drivers before inserting the dongle.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3