Profile for L. Roseblade > Reviews

Content by L. Roseblade

L. Roseblade (Berkshire, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Tefal Express Compact GV7340 Steam Generator - 2200 Watt
Tefal Express Compact GV7340 Steam Generator - 2200 Watt

4.0 out of 5 stars Powerful iron. A bit slow to heat., 19 July 2014
Fabulous iron that genuinely cuts down on the ironing time. Exceptionally powerful steam action with a generous water tank capacity that means you won't constantly be refilling it. Good sturdy construction. Only downside is the length of time it takes for the water to heat up (best part of 10 mins).

Mens Coolers Mule Clog Slippers with Memory Foam Insoles Sizes 7-12 (10 UK, Charcoal)
Offered by Brookland Shoes Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Great but grippy, 19 July 2014
These slippers are of good solid construction with memory foam based inner which gives a nice cushioning feel when walking. As with all memory foam related products the foam retains the heat and so in warm weather these slippers can be a little on the toasty side. Great for the winter though.

The one slight issue I have with these slippers are that the soles are very grippy. While that sounds like a great thing to have the issue is that combined with quite heavy weight of the moulded sole the slipper can slightly drag on the surface as you walk and either get left behind as you step out of the slipper, or leave rugs and small mats in disarray they half-drag them with you.

All in all though a good, comfortable slipper.

Mobilizers: High Speed 7 Ports USB 2.0 HUB With 7 Power Switches And Led Lights For Laptop / Notebook / PC / Computer / Tablets - WHITE
Offered by Fonezilla

2.0 out of 5 stars Two ports have failed in a year, 12 July 2014
The build quality is poor consisting of that lightweight porcelein-like plastic. The lights are very bright and in a darkened room are quite distracting. In just over a year of using this two of the ports have stopped functioning. Given that I leave all the devices connected all the time to the ports (i.e. I do not plug and unplug cables frequently) I think this is just a sign of general poor product quality.

Fundamentals of OpenStack
Fundamentals of OpenStack

3.0 out of 5 stars Great insight but needed proof reading., 1 April 2014
This book gives a great intro into the fundamentals of OpenStack. For the most part the information is explained well enough, but occasionally terms are introduced without their meaning and some of the paragraphs really could do with some rewording. The biggest bug bear I had with this book are the large number of spelling and grammatical errors which interrupt the flow of reading and occasionally require you to read the sentence again for clarity (e.g. Head data base, instead of Heat DB). For the sake of a good proof read this book loses some stars from me.

Tomorrow's Child (The Rachel Cohen Files (Sally Quilford Bitesize Fiction) Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 29 Oct 2013
A short, but interesting story. A little predictable toward the end, but no less enjoyable nonetheless. Definitely needs a sequel.

Bipra B:Drive 60GB 60Gb USB 3.0 2.5 inch FAT32 Portable External Hard Drive - Blue
Offered by Bipra Summer Deals

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin, 11 Oct 2013
I purchased this external drive so that I could back up my 60GB PS3 in order to replace its internal hdd with a larger capacity one. It's an ideal way of backing up the PS3 as it comes already pre-formatted as FAT32 (a requirement for PS3 back up media) and despite being USB 3.0 compliant is backward compatible with the PS3's USB 2.0 port.

The drive connected and was recognised with no effort on my part other than connecting it to the USB port and doesn't require any additional power supply, or software configuration.

A couple of things to be aware of are that the 60GB drive has around 55GB of usable space (this is typical), which was fine in my case as my PS3 drive was only 42GB utilised, and also the cable supplied with drive is very short (I'd say around 4 inches max). However, other than that this device does exactly what it was intended for and is well priced.

Dad's Army - The Complete Collection [DVD] [1968]
Dad's Army - The Complete Collection [DVD] [1968]
Dvd ~ Arthur Lowe

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible value, 19 July 2012
I'm going to assume that if you are reading this it's probably because, like me, every now and then you catch an episode of Dad's Army on some channel and watch it with a sense of nostalgia and 'good old days' feeling. If you are in that category then trust me, you're going to love this box set.

Starting with the packaging the inside of the box set pulls out and is configured in a book-like layout, each page representing a DVD for that series. It's a really neat and innovative way of getting so many DVD's into a nice sized, easy to find a home for, case.

There isn't much to say about the episodes as you will have probably seen a good few of them already before coming here. I will say that the episodes from the 70's are funnier in my view as the series moved from strength to strength. The earlier episodes from Series 1 while not quite as funny are nonetheless interesting as you get to see how they were formed following the radio broadcast from Secretary of State for War (Anthony Eden) in May 1940. You get a glimpse in amongst the humour of the logistical challenges the Local Defence Volunteers (later the Home Guard) faced in the early days of its formation.

For me there's a sense of greatness about our countrymen who, though unable to join the armed forces overseas, played an important role back home. The comedy strikes an admirable balance of being funny without insulting, or pouring scorn on those who served in that role.

In short, this box set really is value for money and whether you're simply a lover of the style of British humour from the 1970's, or just looking to reignite some memories from your childhood during that time, I most certainly recommend it to you.

Enjoy.

Mens SEAFARER HELMSMAN boat DECK SHOES M132 Navy-Brown UK10
Mens SEAFARER HELMSMAN boat DECK SHOES M132 Navy-Brown UK10
Offered by Footwear Sensation

5.0 out of 5 stars Too good to be true? Not a bit of it, 26 Jun 2012
I feel compelled to write a review on these shoes. I have to say that when I first came across them on Amazon and looked at their price I was very skeptical. In fact it was one of those occasions where, over the course of a week, I would keep popping back reading reviews trying to decide whether or not to take a chance.

Finally I took the plunge (okay it's only £22 with shipping). I have to say I am incredibly impressed with them. It's been about a month since I purchased them and I honestly don't think I've had a shoe as comfortable as these for years. I've been wearing them every day to work in rain and sunshine (mostly rain unfortunately) and have had no problems with them at all. The quality of the build far exceeds my glass-half-empty expectation and I have just been turning the shoe over in my hand now checking every seam to see if there's something I can pick up on and there really isn't. They are really well made. Examining for early signs of wear on the sole returns nothing and so I don't get the impression that this will be a cheap and fast wearing shoe.

If I have to pick up on one tiny little detail then it's the laces. They are quite chunky leather laces which means I never feel I can pull them tight enough. To be honest though the shoe never slips about, nor has either of them fallen off :) so in short this really just a minor point. In any case laces can always be changed out

In summary I really do recommend these shoes unreservedly. Superb quality and comfort at a great price.

Professional Portrait Retouching Techniques for Photographers Using Photoshop (Voices That Matter)
by Scott Kelby

5.0 out of 5 stars Other books on photography techniques take note!, 16 April 2011
Over the years I have amassed quite a collection of instructional books on Photoshop. Over the past couple of years I've come to rely primarily on two excellent authors and Scott Kelby is one of those. Even so when I saw he was writing a book on professional portrait retouching I was a little unsure how he would strike the right balance between showing real professional techniques while maintaining the easy to follow format that has become a trademark of his recipe-style books. Well, I am delighted to tell that you Scott has taken my misplaced concern and kicked it out the park. This book is an absolute delight to read and follow.

The book is broken out into chapters of related content, eyes, skin, face shaping, hair, lips, and slimming & trimming and culminates like some of his other books with a workflow section in which he demonstrates a 5, 15, and 30 minute retouch workflow. You can download the files used in the chapters from his web site and one really nice touch is that not only does he provide you with good sized image files, but also makes available an additional image per lesson that you can use to reinforce what you have learned. In essence you get two chances to practice and can compare with Scott's results for validation. I think this is an excellent idea and I hope other authors take note and start doing the same in their future books of this nature.

Working through the chapters I found each instruction easy to follow and I would expect that even those new to Photoshop would not have a problem doing so despite the book claiming to be aimed at the Intermediate user. I have to say that this really is testimony to Scott's clear and concise style of instruction combined with good supporting screenshots as he goes along.

I have very few complaints about this book, but if i had to dig for something then I would have liked a few more male models. There are some but it is very heavily geared toward female models. In Scott's defence this is primarily what most photographers are shooting anyway. I think also some portrait styles would have been interesting but again this is not a book about creating a 'glamour' look or a 'grunge' style but in fact educating the photographer to the subtleties of good, natural-looking retouching.

A couple other value-adds that come with the book are the eyebrow brush set and retouching checklist extension, both downloads from the book's web page. All in all I would say this book is a perfect addition to any portrait photographer's library. A well earned 5 stars from me.

Invero HIGH QUALITY Travel Mains Charger AC Adaptor with Car Charger for Canon PowerShot G10 G-10 G 10 PowerShot
Offered by Invero

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect charger for a great price, 12 Feb 2011
When I came across this item on Amazon while looking for a charger for son's Canon G10 camera I was skeptical of the build quality and durability due to the price. This is about a 1/3 of the price of Canon's own charger which would not come with all the attachments. The build quality is fine for what the product is. It's not Canon quality but it's not poorly built either. Functionally the product is perfect. I charged the G10 battery and it took no longer than Canon's own charger. I regularly use the in-car attachment.

All in all this is a great product for a great price. I highly recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2