Profile for zaraski > Reviews

Dvd ~ Naomi Watts
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 3.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Very impressed indeed, 5 Feb 2004
This review is from: The Ring [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
Like so many others, I wasn't expecting to enjoy this film at all, but I have to say I am very impressed with this film - it may even be better than the japanese version, although it was a bit rubbish in the scene when they found out where Samara was.
The film is more or less the same as the japanese version, although I did like the way that the video was made. And there were bits scarier than the original - for example, when the first victim was discovered by her mother.
Because I'm such an avid fan of the original ring series, I knew what was going to happen during the story, which took away the suspense quality of it for me, which was a shame because when you see Samara appear on Rachel's ex-husband's TV set, it is really scary. Even though that scene was better made than the original (in my opinion anyway). Except when they showed her face - they should have kept it hidden using her hair.
And also, the scene when Rachel found out how to break the curse was a huge disappointment to me and doesn't do the film justice - the japanese version of this scene was much, much better.
Watch this if you haven't seen the original - it truly is an unique film. If you have seen it already, rent it before buying it - it's a marmite film ("You either love it or hate it").

The Eye [DVD]
The Eye [DVD]
Dvd ~ Angelica Lee
Offered by Global_Deals
Price: 1.72

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch with caution. Seriously., 5 Feb 2004
This review is from: The Eye [DVD] (DVD)
First off, let me just say: I don't scare easily - to be honest, in all the 19 years of my life that I've watched films, I've only been scared by one film - The Exorcist. But even then, it was only the bit when the demon face showed up for about 4 frames. And when the Priest's recently deceased mother went back down into the subway, for some reason.
Anyway, that was when I was about 16. Then when I was 18, I saw 'The Ring' on TV, and Jesus Christ, it scared me so much. This got me hooked on Japanese films, and I bought the 3 "Ring" films (the japanese versions). But the more I watched it, the less scared I got.
Then two weeks after, I went shopping, and saw 'The Eye' DVD. It looked cool, so I bought it. I watched it later that night. And let me tell you, my dear readers: I haven't been the same since.
To this day, I still can't go anywhere in my house at night without the lights on. Plus, I've honestly developed a phobia of elevators (watch the film - you'll see what I'm talking about then).
For me, the most scary part was the "Why are you sitting in my chair?!?" scene - that was the only time ever in my life that I actually went "AH!". (except when I played "Resident Evil 2" - when the licker jumped through the one-way mirror).
I've honestly never felt the fear and dread build up in me like that. A close second was the elevator scene.
If you watch this, prepare to be so scared that your brain will jump out of your ears. It is seriously chilling. I get so scared every time I watch the movie. Every time.
I've probably hyped it up too much now!!! It is a beautiful movie though, definitely one of my favourite. You have to watch this, it is amazing, though the climax at the end ruined it for me. Personally, I think it could have done without.
If you cross "The Sixth Sense" with "At First Sight" with a japanese theme, you'll get a general idea of this movie. No-one makes scary movies like the japanese do.

Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life [DVD] [2003]
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle of Life [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Angelina Jolie
Offered by CP UK And Global LTD
Price: 2.71

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DVD for deaf viewers, 5 Feb 2004
As I am deaf, it's really frustrating when there aren't any subtitles on the special features (because I love to find out as much info as I can about the film), so this DVD was a godsend - subtitles on every featurettes, deleted scenes, and on the director's commentary as well (those are the reasons I gave the DVD 5 stars - the film's about 4 stars I reckon). No subtitles on the music videos, but there never is anyway. Besides, I can just find the lyrics on the internet!
Now the downside - nothing really, except when I watched the featurettes and deleted scenes once, it was boring to watch again. But the film's great! Yes, some bits are ridiculous and far-fetched, but come on, it's just a movie!! Don't need brains to enjoy this film. And of course, there's the lovely Angelina to watch all through the film.......
To sum it up, this movie's better than the first. In my opinion, I think Angelina acting is superb all through the film (miles better than it was in the first movie).

The Matrix Revolutions [DVD] [2003]
The Matrix Revolutions [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Keanu Reeves|Carrie-Anne Moss|Laurence Fishburne
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA
Price: 2.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Watch it more!!, 5 Feb 2004
I must be the only person in the world who wasn't confused by the storyline!!
Just like Reloaded, this is strictly a marmite movie - you either love it or hate it. I have to admit; when I first saw this movie, I was disappointed, but then, (I expected to be, because nothing could have lived up to Reloaded!!) but when I watched it again and again, I enjoyed it a lot more.
And another thing - surely you people must have realised that whatever the outcome of the Matrix was, people would still have been disappointed.
In my personal opinion, it would have been better if the two sequels were put together as one long movie. Ah well, can't change the past.