Profile for Karen > Reviews

Kenwood 4-Slice Toaster, 1500 W, White
Kenwood 4-Slice Toaster, 1500 W, White
Offered by Slamtech Online

1.0 out of 5 stars One Star, 8 Mar. 2015
Burns the toast even at the lowest setting. I've tried two now, both the same and both returned.

The Rose and the Key (Cosimo Classics)
The Rose and the Key (Cosimo Classics)
by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu

4.0 out of 5 stars The Rose and the Key, 6 Jan. 2014
In true Lefanu style, this book is a slow starter with a gentle drip-drip of suspicion that all is not happy in the world of Maud Vernon. You might be mistaken in thinking that for at least the first half of the book you are reading a book on Victorian manners - there are many characters and many dinner parties which seem innocuous at the time, and I wondered where it was all going, although I did enjoy the insight into that period. However, as the story progresses, the conversations we are made privy to at these parties start to suggest something bubbling under the surface, and when that bubble finally surfaces the book becomes totally gripping as you whirl through the terrors that Maud experiences. I give no plot away at all, the shock of finally realising what was going on (and why) was quite thrilling! Do not be mis-led by that gentle first half - it's very slowness makes the contrast with the second half all the more startling.

Csárdás - Hungarian Gypsy Music
Csárdás - Hungarian Gypsy Music

1.0 out of 5 stars A huge disappointment, 2 Oct. 2010
I cannot describe how disappointed I was with this album. The first track sounded like they were tuning up, truly shambolic. Track 2, Monti's Csardas, the sole reason I bought this CD, was almost unrecognisable. The timing was either out, or, like the tune, almost totally obscured by unnecessary embellishments, destroying the simple fire of this piece. I stoppled playing the CD half way through track 3, and won't be keeping it.

Tales Of The Uncanny And Supernatural
Tales Of The Uncanny And Supernatural
by Algernon Blackwood

5.0 out of 5 stars List of Contents, 31 May 2010
As with all Blackwood writings this is a joy of perfect prose and dark atmospheres. However, as there is no title list in Amazon's description of this book, I copy it from the contents page of my version for other Blackwood fans to cross-reference with what they already have. As you can see, this is a large collection running to around 400 pages in total, marvellous value and plenty of room to lose yourself in the genius of this man's imagination!

The Doll
Violence
The Lost Valley

2032
2032

5.0 out of 5 stars What's that in the sky . . .? hooray! they're back . . ., 4 Jan. 2010
This review is from: 2032 (Audio CD)
Joy oh joy. My Gong Appreciation Lobe has been re-awakened, I am back in pixieland at the age of (I forget . . .) I like the electric beat of City of Self Fascination, which at first sounded a bit strange. Now I find myself slinking around the house to it, wondering how it is that whatever type of music Gong attempt, they manage to do it better than the bands usually associated with it. This also goes for their celtic riffs, their sax jazz, their trance/dance music, their happy hippy music - truly inspired musicians. The old warmth and joy is here on this album, and listening to it felt like going home. THANK YOU GONG! I am a very happy (ex) hippy, comforted in my stressy middle aged life by the return of the Octave Doctors. Time for Tea.

Canon PIXMA MP630 All-in-One Printer, Copier and Scanner
Canon PIXMA MP630 All-in-One Printer, Copier and Scanner

3.0 out of 5 stars A typical Cannon workhorse, 2 July 2009
In true Cannon style this printer is massive! Don't expect to be able to pop it in your sideboard when it's not in use! It has a rear paper loader as well as a front one which adds bulk, I don't know why the front tray can't be multifunctional like the HPs. Photo print quality is good, but pictures on ordinary paper as part of a document are not so good. I've always had HPs, where the quality of all pictures is excellent, no matter what they are printed on, but as HP has developed some dodgy software recently, which kept crashing my computer, I thought I would try something else. In retrospect I am wondering whether I should have taken a chance with an HP, however this Cannon is easy to use, easy to install, I've had no operational problems with it at all, and I'm sure it will grow on me in time(but not literally, it takes up enough space as it is!)

Berlitz French Phrase Book & Dictionary (Berlitz Phrase Book & Dictionary: Vietnamese)
by Berlitz Publishing

2.0 out of 5 stars What does "sauf" mean?!, 19 April 2009
This book was OK for things like "please" and "thank you" and other basics, but having spent a week driving around France with it, it was pretty useless for much else. Not a single regularly occuring word on real French menus appeared in it, and if the French waiters hadn't been able to speak a bit of English, we would never have known what we were ordering. There were no words to tell you what road signs meant, or what supermarket products were, or indeed many other basic things that we kept coming across. It was only when we got back home and I looked in my old school dictionary that I realised that "ble" is wheat, and I still don't know what "sauf" means, that appeared on all warning road signs! I think you'd be better off with a pocket dictionary than with this phrase book.

AA Big Easy Read France (AA Atlases and Maps)
AA Big Easy Read France (AA Atlases and Maps)
by AA Publishing
Edition: Spiral-bound

3.0 out of 5 stars H'mmmmm, 24 Mar. 2009
As it says, it is indeed big and clear and easy to read, and the detail is excellent. However, because the scale is so big, you don't get much to a page, and I found it really difficult to plan a route because I am not familiar with France, and had trouble getting an overview of where I wanted to go. I had to revert to Google!

The Nightshade - Luxury Sleeping Mask
The Nightshade - Luxury Sleeping Mask
Offered by Just Sport and Leisure

5.0 out of 5 stars It does the trick, 24 Mar. 2009
I was surprised at how comfortable this is. It is really soft, and I am hardly aware I am wearing it. It has a wider strap than I am used to, which holds it firmly in place without being tight, and it really doesn't let in any light. If you really think about it, you can just about make out a faint glow under the nose, but it really is slight - nothing like the laser beams that come in through some masks! This is by far the best I have used. I was so impressed that I ordered a spare straight away!

The Secret of the Old Clock/The Bungalow Mystery/The Mystery of the 99 Steps: 1 (Best of Nancy Drew Classic Collection)
by Carolyn Keene

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Feb. 2009
I loved the Nancy Drew stories as a child, so I'm extremely biased towards them. Anyway, feeling a bit nostalgic, I bought this set for my 8 year old god-daughter, thinking she might be ready for a bit of old-fashioned girly mystery, and she absolutely loves it! Some of the vocabulary is new to her, but Mum is on hand, and because she loves the stories she is keen to learn the new words. A good buy on many levels! Highly recommended, and still of interest to today's children. For those not in the know, Nancy Drew is an American teenager, maybe back in the 50s or 60s, I don't really know, it's quite timeless, but there are certainly no computers or mobile phones. Wherever she goes for her school holidays she manages to stumble upon a new mystery, and there is just the right amount of suspense and fear to stimulate a young mind without over-doing it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 30, 2012 7:54 PM BST