Profile for A. Smith > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Endless River
The Endless River

5.0 out of 5 stars High Hopes...absolutely, 11 Nov. 2014
This review is from: The Endless River (Audio CD)
Pink Floyd albums don't come round too often, so the anticipation of The Endless River was almost too much to handle as a missed opportunity would have left a bitter taste in my ears!
Thankfully this album delivered in all aspects as it has rolled all of my Floyd highlights together in a seamless epic journey of musical brilliance. It is as if the final pieces of the jigsaw have been slotted in, not repeating itself but enhancing the music by including nods to the past and introducing a more spacial epic soundtrack feel to the production.
I have listened to the album several times on various formats and players, even whilst driving and I am still picking out sounds and rhythms I didn't tune into on previous plays.
The previous Division Bell album plays out with one of my all time favourite tracks - High Hopes and it is pleasing to hear in the lyrics at around 5 minutes in ' the water flowing - the endless river'. What a fantastic line to attribute to what is almost certainly the final Pink Floyd album that flows (in my opinion) with perfection. Another reviewer said this is an album to settle down with a bottle of wine and let it wash over you. I couldn't agree more.

Naga 10X60cm Magnetic Glass Memo Board/Card Holder - Black
Naga 10X60cm Magnetic Glass Memo Board/Card Holder - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish product and service, 7 Feb. 2013
Don't waste your time - the product was used and had parts missing and it cost me time and money to send it back.

Brilliant
Brilliant
Offered by MEGA Media FBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, 1 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Brilliant (Audio CD)
Having been an Ultravox fan since the 80s I hung onto Vienna as an album to keep returning to.
Seeing Ultravox live twice over the last couple of years has ingnited a new passion for what can only be described as 'true' music and the anticipation of a new album was the dawn of a new era in my musical interests.
Having played the album through a few times - always through headphones,in car and through hi fi speakers I can honestly say it is a superb piece of work.
Traits of the work they have done previously is very evident such as the drum work on Satellite which echoes Sleepwalk. What is great is the band can still write and deliver music to such a high standard and then perform it live to appreciating audiences.
It would have been good to have had an instrumental track with the driving Ultravox beat - I'm thinking of Astradyne but then I want the world. I've got to admit I'm a fussy listener and regularly put an album in the tray only to turn it off again. This album will remain on my playlist until well after and beyond I see Ultravox on tour later this year.
Looking forward to hearing this new material performed live in their set.
All in all an excellent production and one that deserves recognition for the work that has gone into it.
Well done lads, really like it. Keep the writing coming as you have much more to offer.

Ring Automotive RAC600 12V Digital Air Compressor Including Storage Bag
Ring Automotive RAC600 12V Digital Air Compressor Including Storage Bag

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable and not up to the job, 9 Jan. 2012
I have been looking around for a while to replace my ageing pneumatic unit as it is getting worn and leaks air when pumping up car/bike tyres. I have read enough reviews about different products and the majority have nothing good to say about any of them. The Ring seemed the best bet for the money.
Plugged it in and it was dead out of the box - but managed to get the torch light to work when it was angled slightly. I am just thankful I didn't leave it until I was out and really in need of it as it would have gone in the bin. Sorry - but if manufacturers can't trust their units to work then they need to re-think their products. Have now gone for a good old foot pump - maybe I will have better luck with that. The tubing and wire are difficult to pack away but getting it out of its case was ok if you turn it upside down. Still if it doesn't work eh?
Don't bother with this one as there is no guarantee it will get you out of trouble when you most need it.

Canal Walks
Canal Walks
by Julia Bradbury

4.0 out of 5 stars Jules rules!, 15 May 2011
This review is from: Canal Walks (Paperback)
I have always loved an outdoor girl - especially one who doesn't mind getting mud on her boots and getting caught in the rain.
Julia Bradbury is the champ of the hike. These walks may be well under her bench mark but as an introduction to exploring our rich and often hidden heritage these walks will delight. Not written with too much heavy detail yet explaining enough to explore the route the walks are written as if based on writing on route rather than after the walk. I would love to see more of these canal walks as this country has many hidden gems along canal routes. The book may be paperback, but it has a nice glossy cover and is small enough for your backpack if walking the routes. I enjoyed it from start to finish. Nice one Julia - keep walking!

D.N.A
D.N.A

5.0 out of 5 stars D.N.A.- Do Not Avoid this gem!, 16 April 2011
This review is from: D.N.A (MP3 Download)
Having been a follower of John Foxx's music ever since listening to early Ultravox and then John's solo work from the absolutely brilliant Metamatic - there can be no doubt he is extremely versatile and not afraid to express his talents in multiple frameworks - especially with his work in collaboration with other artists.
I have played this album through numerous times and it goes into my list of albums that will be timeless which for me is an anagram of I will always come back to it instead of consigning it to the 'forgotten' pile.
This album is a beautiful mix of dance, experimental and ambient which form an almost panoramic soundscape.
Flightpath Tegel could be mistaken for a Tangerine Dream track - layered synths - rhythmic beats, whereas Violet Bloom is ambient and raw, almost experimental.
A Secret Life 7 has in my opinion a Boards of Canada feel to it, due to its length and basic approach. A Secret Life 2 takes it further into the depths with a haunting nine and a half minutes of musical bliss.
The album ends with Over the Mirage which always leaves me feelings of reflection and contemplation - perfect after a hard days work.
My only criticism about this album is when it ends and I have to play it all over again.
Don't expect Underpass or No-One Driving with this work - just beautiful music that will enlighten and transport you to another level. Sheer brilliance from start to finish - its a gem.

Dream Mixes 5
Dream Mixes 5

3.0 out of 5 stars How many dreams can you remix?, 1 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Dream Mixes 5 (Audio CD)
Having been a TD fan since I first heard Ricochet played by chance from a friend, I embarked on an expensive collection of purchasing vinyl / tape / CD and Mp3 works by Froese/Franke etc etc.

I gave up when I found out by the time I had placed an order for a new CD another one was coming off the production line.
Yes there were some releases such as the DM range that kept me interested but the release of Tangram 2008 made me realise that you can't keep re-cycling old material forever. Yes there are nice touches but I find it hard to justify taking apart an excellent original album and trying to re-invent it.

As for the DM range - well I have got them in my collection and was curious to have a listen to 5. The tracks are generally good but for me suffer from an over indulgence of sound that really takes TD away from the golden years of layering sounds and running with rhythms. The 'good bits' are over too quickly. Why Edgar moved away from long tracks that had a bit of 'meat' in them to produce short tracks I never quite understood - along with the album cover designs that look to me like they were mass produced.

That said DM5 is listenable but never quite for me gets off the ground. It sometimes sounds like there is just too much going on for anything to get a real hold.

It won't satisfy if you are looking for original remixes - but equally the CD has some good moments but not enough for me to get over excited.

If you are a TD completeist you will already have this CD and not agree with a word I have said. If like me you like to keep a 'finger in the pie' with the music of TD but haven't got either the time or can justify the money to buy every release then this is probably as good as it will get.

Jerome is good at what he does - I just wonder if he should stick with his own projects from now on.

Cathedrals & Abbeys of England (Pitkin Cathedral Guide)
Cathedrals & Abbeys of England (Pitkin Cathedral Guide)
by Stephen Platten

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well presented and informative, 2 May 2009
I wanted a book that provided information about the many historical places of interest I have visited in one guide and although this book only covers 60 Cathedrals and Abbeys / Priories and Minsters, it proved to be an excellent companion. Beautifully printed with maps of regions, it does not go into depths that can be sometimes difficult to read, yet provides the reader with detail and historical information that is enough to either support the information gained by a visit, or provide enough interest to make a visit worthwhile. Overall, not a bad introduction to religious monuments for the historical enthusiast like me. Recommended read.

And Winter Came
And Winter Came

5.0 out of 5 stars Winter has come!, 3 Jan. 2009
This review is from: And Winter Came (Audio CD)
Well a much anticipated wait has delivered another beautiful collection of Enya tracks to warm many a winter's day or night. Yes a lot of Enya's music can sound in a similar vein, but that is what she does and she does it well.
There is something hypnotic about the way the music is produced that serves up what we actually want. Very laid back and melodic - it will have you chilled in no time. Die hard Enya fans should add this to their collection.
Some tracks are Christmas orientated - bells and winter themes but who cares. Altogether a really great album from a wonderfully elusive artist who knows how to deliver to her audience. You'll love it.

Safe Trip Home
Safe Trip Home
Offered by mrtopseller

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 Jan. 2009
This review is from: Safe Trip Home (Audio CD)
If you think this album takes Dido's music a step further then think again.
I have listened to it a few times and it just doesn't do it for me.
Dark, depressing and deep. If you loved Sand in my Shoes and you are hoping for similar then save your cash. Yes some will love it - maybe those who are new to Dido - but how long can you listen to the same montone lyrical lines about relationships on the rocks and doubting real love? Dido is more suited to upbeat music. I now wonder if No Angel can ever be bettered. Someone has put in a previous review - watch out for wear and tear on the cardboard sleeve. You may only play it once - so no worries there then.
Sorry but that is my opinion, its down to you to decide.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 16, 2009 11:29 PM GMT

Page: 1 | 2