Profile for Bex > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 1914

Bex (United Kingdom)
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Tudors: Kings, Queens, Scribes and Ferrets!
The Tudors: Kings, Queens, Scribes and Ferrets!
by Marcia Williams

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fun Look At The Tudor Times., 18 July 2016
A wonderful comic book style retelling of the Tudor times told from the perspective of Arthur Inkblott, a young man who is supposed to have been asked by Elizabeth I to document some key moments of Tudor history.

I absolutely love the style of this book. It's a picture book, but a more detailed and intricate one than most with some archaic language to fit the theme. For this reason it makes it ideal for school children learning about this era or just interesting in history - to be honest, even I found it pretty interesting and a nice recap on a lot of things I'd forgotten! Each tale is told via a sort of comic strip at the bottom of the page, alongside a more detailed block text (which relatively small font) about each notable person or event. We are also accompanied on our travels by Smudge, a terrifically cute ferret who is both sweet and funny; he can be found along the margins of each page giving away small anecdotes here and there - or just pulling silly expressions! Everyone loves a good animal character thrown in to love.

There are various events covered throughout, each given a page (sometimes two) to elaborate and illustrate the story - the illustrations are really great with lots of detail and have been made to suit the theme of the book again which makes them look slightly older; a nice touch. I especially liked the Spanish Armada and War of the Roses section however the Battle of Bosworth Field is also included and loved the comedy twist to the ways in which the stories are told without changing the tale. The reign of various people and some of their traits alongside some memorable figures are also covered including Henry VI, VII and VIII, Edward VI, Mary I, Elizabeth I, Christopher Columbus, Sir Francis Drake, Sir Walter Raleigh and of course Shakespeare.

The beautiful, glossy pages are sturdy and quite large so feel relatively robust - a relief when most books are quickly ruined after the first read when little hands are around! If I could have added anything extra to this book, I would have liked maybe some quick fun facts at the back or a little test to see how much we remembered from each tale to really solidify the learning aspect of the book. But otherwise, this is an educational, well thought-out, funny and cleverly illustrated text which I think both adults and children will enjoy - and of course little Smudge was great too!

This product was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review; this in no way altered my opinion of this book.

The Great Grammar Book
The Great Grammar Book
by Kate Petty

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Illustrated And Great Fun., 18 July 2016
This review is from: The Great Grammar Book (Hardcover)
Another great book by Kate Petty. This is effectively a Grammar Made Easy book for children just starting out but would be really helpful for children mixing up some areas still too. Riddled with colour, interaction and fun characters this book is difficult to fault.

Divided into 9 distinct sections, Petty tackles each area by simplifying the meaning of a Noun, for example, and then giving colourful and action packed examples for children to get involved with. I love how this makes kids work out for themselves the answers without the answers being there straight away so you can really gauge their understanding, rather than their ability to regurgitate what they've already read!

This covers Nouns, Verbs, Adjectives, Adverbs, Pronouns, Prepositions, Conjunctions, Plurals and Punctuation in an easy and simple manner. Each page has a different theme, as well as different subject, with the recurring characters you meet on the first page. I like the continuity of these characters and the themes add an extra talking point for when children become tired or restless.

The various flaps, pulleys, wheels and tabs are all linked together - a really nice addition to each page. This means that when you turn a wheel, for example, a word might pop up somewhere on the page. This really adds to the interaction within the page and makes the learning a more memorable experience - hopefully! Some of the flaps, particularly the large pop ups, are a bit stiff the first time but this wears off once you've stretched them out a bit; although I did feel this made me feel more confident they were sturdy and less likely to become dog-eared or torn after the first use!

There are limited examples within this book in terms of practising what you've been reading. I think for readers just starting out this is absolutely fine, and there is plenty to talk about on each page anyway even away from the designated examples because the pages are so crammed with colour and creatures. However for those readers familiar with some of these areas already this might be a little too simple.

Overall, a beautifully illustrated, fun and extremely interactive book which is just perfect for teaching your little ones the basics of Grammar - plus it's not too dull for you either! I can't get over quite how much thought has gone into each page!

This product was provided to me by the publishers in exchange for an honest review; this in no way influenced my opinion of this book.

The Terrific Times Tables Book
The Terrific Times Tables Book
by Kate Petty

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Interactive And Packed Full of Activities., 18 July 2016
Wow. This book blew me away! A thoroughly well-deserved five stars.

This hardcover times tables book is divided into twelve sections, one page for each number of the times tables and is riddled with colour, creatures, pop up bits, tabs to pull, flaps to turn and interaction. I genuinely can't fault it.

The layout works well and provides a sort of staging for your child - it's ideal for taking breaks when you can tell they've had too much or when you want to come back to a certain struggling point. I love the jumble of colours and activity on each page - there is so much going on with various interactions for kids to test themselves; it's also great that the answers aren't immediately available so they have to go searching for them if they can't find them.

The book is sturdy enough. The tabs/pulleys aren't flimsy so could easily withstand a bit of a battering instead of becoming dog-eared or ripped almost immediately! Number 3 is probably the least robust as the giant pop up makes it a little trickier to get to the smaller flaps so could be easily damaged.

Each page has a different theme as well as a different number. Number 4 for instance is a picnic blanket which vampires and lunch boxes which need the lids taking off to do your sums. I really loved the thought that's gone into this - the recurring characters are all introduced to you at the beginning so you can also be on the hunt for them as well and count how many times you see them.

I can't fault this book. It's fantastic. It is simple, and definitely more suitable for those just starting out. The writing isn't overly large but is simplified so perhaps not ideal for those already well into learning their sums. A beautifully illustrated, thoughtful and highly interactive way to learn. Definitely lives up to it's "Terrific" Title.

This product was provided to me by the publisher in exchange for an honest review; this is no way influenced my opinions.

Where Do Clothes Come from?
Where Do Clothes Come from?
by Christine Butterworth

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Content With A Message., 18 July 2016
There is no question that this book is beautifully illustrated; I'm not just talking about pictures either. This little picture-filled book has lots of really clever little diagrams too and so much colour is crammed into the pages.

Ideally, this book needs to be aimed at a slightly older than audience than the average picture book mostly because of some of the language used - there are a few more complex words for little children which will be lost on those just starting on reading/writing and some block text which is harder for new readers to break up. What I really love though is that the author hasn't over simplified the descriptions of how clothing is made and where it comes from - this book is going to therefore come in handy more than for just one quick read with your little ones.

Ostensibly, this book is split into different clothing types after a few pages of the making clothes process - this takes you through the cotton harvesting process straight on to milling/loom/dying jeans stage which I actually enjoyed reading as an adult! There is quite a lot of information, again for a picture book, on each page so again I feel this is better suited to those already starting to read aloud with you so it's not too over-whelming. It does really work though, it's not overly crammed and I feel like children will take something away from it.

I especially like how the illustrations and text have included some child-friendly examples by using a football kit, party dress or wellies as examples that kids actually come across so they can relate to where these things have come from. Even more so, the small section on recycling of old materials was great and a good conversation point for families; a fabulous message for kids to take away.

Overall, a good book filled with colour and good content - just be mindful of the age range you might want to read this with.

This book was provided to me by the publishers in exchange for an honest review; this is no way influenced my opinions.

Yes To Carrots Fragrance Free Facial Wipes - Pack of 25
Yes To Carrots Fragrance Free Facial Wipes - Pack of 25

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh Friendly Wipes., 17 July 2016
I purchased these wipes as a slightly smaller travel pack and loved them so much that I then bought the bigger pack for daily use. These wipes are fresh and clean smelling (I wouldn't say they are Carrot-y though) and didn't react with my skin. My skin isn't particularly sensitive, but some new products cause an outbreak, thankfully though these wipes didn't even cause the usual redness some wipes create after scrubbing. I'm pleased that they also aren't especially fragrant as I'm not really a fan of strong smelling wipes - rather they smell more like a moisturiser and left my skin feeling really nourished and smooth.

They also last for ages! One wipe could probably be halved and used as two instead - they are so effective at getting any make-up or grease from the skin. I also love that they're PETA approved/cruelty free as an added bonus.

I definitely recommend these as a daily facial cleanser.

Yes To Coconut Ultra Moisture Conditioner 280 ml
Yes To Coconut Ultra Moisture Conditioner 280 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars For Dry Hair?, 16 July 2016
There's so much I like about this Shampoo and Conditioner by Yes To. I love the smell - it's not too strong, but has a lovely coconut smell which lasts for hours after washing. It also foams up nicely; lots of friendlier shampoo and conditioners I've tried tend to leave my hair feeling stripped and don't create a nice lather when in contact with water so I inherently don't feel like my hair is cleaned even though it probably is. Yes To Coconut escapes that flaw thankfully. I also really love that this product is PETA approved/cruelty free.

However, I did find that considering this product is supposed to be for dry hair (which mine definitely is thanks to constant heated products), it left my hair feeling even drier! This was most noticeable during the drying stages. My hair is thin, and rarely tangles, but it started to tangle quite a bit after using this product and particularly when I was using the hairdryer it started to feel quite dry. So I'm not sure I can say it does what it promises to by making hair feel more nourished. However, once my hair was fully dried it felt lovely and didn't feel as dry - it's just a massive pain for styling whilst it's wet!

Overall, a nice smelling product which didn't cause any reactions (I'm usually slightly more sensitive to changing hair products so a definite plus) and as a bonus is cruelty free! It's just not brilliant at making dry hair feel nourished, particularly whilst still wet, although hasn't seemed to make it any worse. Perhaps not for those people looking for a dry hair solution!

Yes To Coconut Ultra Moisture Shampoo 280 ml
Yes To Coconut Ultra Moisture Shampoo 280 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars For Dry Hair?, 16 July 2016

Burt's Bees Almond and Milk Hand Cream, 57 g
Burt's Bees Almond and Milk Hand Cream, 57 g

3.0 out of 5 stars Greasy But Good., 14 July 2016
I purchased this hand cream for my mum who has dermatitis-like outbreaks on her hands - we wanted something that smelt good but also that actually worked to clear up her skin a bit. Unfortunately, it didn't really work wonders for her like we'd hoped based on all the amazing reviews. On the plus side, I quite like it - new hand cream for me! Woohoo!

The largest problem with this cream in my opinion has to be the thickness of the cream. I like a relatively thick hand cream because it makes me feel more confident that it will soak into the skin and really moisturise it. That isn't the case here. This cream sits on top of the skin and is so greasy - it absolutely didn't nourish my skin and left greasy fingerprints everywhere even when I only applied a tiny bit.

On the plus side, you really don't need a lot so it's lasted me absolutely ages which is great. I also really liked the smell - it reminds me of almond cake but the closest description for those thinking of buying is probably marzipan - it smells so strongly of this. I personally like the smell, although I did notice once I'd rubbed it into the skin the smell really changes and it isn't as pleasant.

I love the little quirky pot, it's a really vintage feel. I also really love that this is a PETA approved/cruelty free product and it also didn't cause either of us to break out in a rash - surprising with my mums sensitive skin so a definite perk. In terms of purchasing again though, I think I'll revert back to the banana hand cream by Burts Bees instead as I preferred the smell and felt a bit more moisturised with it.

Burt's Bees 100% Natural Lip Balm, Pomegranate, 4.25g
Burt's Bees 100% Natural Lip Balm, Pomegranate, 4.25g

4.0 out of 5 stars Pucker Up., 12 July 2016
Having tried various flavours of Burts Bees lip balms, I was yet again unsurprised by how good this lip balm is. I love the smell, that it causes a little deep red colouring to stay in your lips quite a while after, and the moisturising feel to it. But most of all, I like the taste! I absolutely hate lip balms which smell divine but when you accidentally lick your lips it's like licking your deodorant! I know it sounds silly. Humour me.

This lip balm has lasted me absolutely ages, despite frequently applying like some sort of lip balm junkie. I have to admit, I kind of miss the tingle effect that the peppermint flavour had, but I love the little red stain on my lips enough to ignore that - it genuinely stays on longer than any lip stick which means you barely need to reapply and still feel great throughout the day. I know, we all apply all day anyway. But the luxury to not have to is good anyway!

Definitely a great lip balm, a pretty colour tinting your lips and a moisturised feeling throughout the day. Some lip balms make my lips sore as they're quite sensitive but Burts Bees lip balms never do so I swear by them now. As a cheeky bonus, this is a PETA approved/cruelty free product so that makes me feel even better about contributing to the brand.

A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses)
A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses)
by Sarah J. Maas

5.0 out of 5 stars "When You Spend So Long Trapped In Darkness, You Find That The Darkness Begins To Stare Back"., 11 July 2016
Well, that was a bit of a surprise!

“He thinks he'll be remembered as the villain in the story. But I forgot to tell him that the villain is usually the person who locks up the maiden and throws away the key. He was the one who let me out.”

After really enjoying A Court of Thorns and Roses, but coming away feeling slightly snarky towards Feyre for being a bit of a wet blanket, I was basically expecting this second book in the series to be disappointing. The standard middle book syndrome. The typical mushy romance to fill in the middle part of the series. Oh no, no, no. Maas just smashed those expectations out of the park. The Feyre you knew, she's the dead girl Under The Mountain. This Feyre, she's some awesome sort of bad ass Faerie. And I LOVE her.

ACOMAF carries on basically straight after the events of the first book. Feyre and Tamlin are all loved up, Lucien remains to be a friend and support to both Tamlin and Feyre and the ever-cunning but also pretty sexy Rhysand still has that pesky deal which means Feyre has to spend some time with him when he says so. Does anyone else love Rhys? Oh my. And he's about ready to cash in on that deal; this book sees that unfold and Feyre's opinion of him vastly switches. We're also provided with a heck of a lot of truly well written world-building and secondary character development just to kick things up a further notch.

I love that Feyre has become bigger and better than before. Gone is the meek, blinded by love girl with only a fiesty streak. Now, she has seen through Tamlin's possessive nature and is on to pastures new. I know what you're thinking, there's going to be a love triangle. I thought so too. But what I love the most about this series now, and what I hope Maas doesn't later go on to destroy, is that it truly seems like Feyre has just had a change of heart. An awful lot has happened to her over the course of the first book, compared to many similar characters, so it's not surprising she might be seeing things clearer now. And thank God for that; she's all the more interesting a character for it. I honestly think Maas is demonstrating that a young girl has just changed her mind, which we rarely ever see in this genre, and seen things differently and moved on. This is so refreshing and much much better than a drippy romance with another controlling male lead who we know is the one she will end up with eventually.

Which brings me on to Rhysand. If you love Tamlin, I'm afraid you might not like this book. He features in barely 10% of it. This, I was glad for. But for fans of Tam, you've been warned. If you prefer dark, complex characters like Rhysand who are damn sexy to boot then you will adore this book. This is the book of Rhysand. I absolutely loved getting inside his head, figuring out what caused him to portray such an evil character when sometimes we see glimpses of goodness. This book is full of his history, stories of his family and some truths about his relationship with Tamlin. I honestly think Rhys might just be one of the most exciting characters in YA writing at the moment.

Relationships within these sorts of books are often dominated by couples dribbling over each other and gushing about how great they both are. What I loved about Rhys and Feyre's more unusual relationship was that he gives her ample space to make her own decisions. She is not trapped as she once was with Tamlin and she is most certainly not lesser than him. I think this is a great new take in this genre and I really hope it becomes more commonplace.

The world building in this book is fantastic. We find out so much about the history of Fey, the wars between Fey and the humans and I absolutely loved the little tales about each of the secondary characters. Often with characters like the ones in this book, it can become difficult to connect with them enough to care because we just never know enough about them, particularly if there are lots of them. This isn't the case within this book. Each of Rhysand's friends and family became very real to me and I liked some of them almost as much as I loved Lucien in the first book.

My only complaint, aside from a cliff-hanger resulting in a very long wait until the next book, were the more intimate scenes. I'm not sure what it is about Maas' writing style, because I do really like the way she writes, but her sex scenes are so awkward sometimes. She does an awful lot of describing, and telling us what's happening, rather than letting you work it out for yourself. Flirtatious dialogue though, she is a master of and I found this much more exciting than the sex scenes themselves. Also - something to keep in mind for younger readers!

Overall, I can't believe how much I liked this book. I fully expected to be really disappointed, and maybe even slightly irritated by Feyre by the end of it. But I should never have worried. Maas has created a world I love to live in and characters I can't get enough of which some really exciting, and refreshing, forks in the road to keep us readers guessing. A wonderful addition to YA book shelves. I'm barely suppressing the urge to throw it under all my friends noses and demanding they fall in love with it as much as I have!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20