Profile for olivia > Reviews

Pitch Perfect
Pitch Perfect
Dvd

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Pitch Perfect (Amazon Video)
Whats not to love! Watched with my children 10-13 and they've been singing ever since. Hilarious.

The Children Act
The Children Act
by Ian McEwan

3.0 out of 5 stars I had high hopes for this but it failed to ..., 14 Jun. 2015
This review is from: The Children Act (Paperback)
I had high hopes for this but it failed to live up to the reviews. What is it? A study of a high court judges life? An attempt to de-fug the family law courts? A portrait of a failing marriage? This books attempts to be all 3 and fails at all 3. I suspect that McEwan has a personal fascination with the law and legal process and simply over researched his subject to death so what is regurgitated into this 'novel' is a combination of his showing off his ability to mimic legalese as well to capitalise on the legal market. Do not read this book if you know anything at all about the law! It is a genuflection to the Inns of Court. There was a note to High Court Alan Ward at the end and I wondered if McEwan has written this book as a excuse to spend a lot of time with this man who he clearly admires and hang out in the legal world which he clearly finds fascinating. Read it but do not expect a classic.

Gravitas: Communicate with Confidence, Influence and Authority
Gravitas: Communicate with Confidence, Influence and Authority
by Caroline Goyder

5.0 out of 5 stars Listen to what this book says, 6 Mar. 2014
I really like her style. Not too self-helpy. Just useful. I would recommend this book to people who are looking for small tips which make a huge difference.

Hector and the Search for Happiness: Hector's Journeys 1
Hector and the Search for Happiness: Hector's Journeys 1
by François Lelord
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 30 Aug. 2013
I am writing this 5 star review by way of thanks to M Lelord for writing such a beautiful piece about life. It will not change your life but I expect all readers will take away at least one private message to themselves for their own good. Read it. Its not a self-help book. A great big little novel. Merci

The Stranger's Child
The Stranger's Child
by Alan Hollinghurst

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointing, 19 Aug. 2012
This review is from: The Stranger's Child (Hardcover)
1. All reviews in inside cover and blurb on back raved and sounded intriguing but they plant false hope.
2. Well written perhaps but plot!!!!!! Characters!!! Both very poor.
3. Extremely poor ending. After 450 pages you just yelp with dissapointment and a feeling of having wasted your time.
4. Just to be clear - there is a promise of a big generational scandalous secret- THIS NEVER HAPPENS
5. In general, this book assumes everyone is gay. It is perhaps interesting only in looking at male gay sex throughout the 20th century. But not in 450 pages
6. I cannot fathom how this got these reviews. I did note they were all by men.
7. Do not buy this book. He is not to be encouraged. I loved LOB but he should get some new subject matter.
8. I have read this book all day today. Finished it. I will never get this day back. Please do not make the same mistake.

The Return of the Public: Democracy, Power and the Case for Media Reform
The Return of the Public: Democracy, Power and the Case for Media Reform
by Dan Hind

5.0 out of 5 stars Properly important, properly well-written, buy it, 14 Jun. 2012
In the wake of the Leveson Enquiry this book should be required reading for all politicians. It is quite brilliant and so good to find a book which tackles what is happening right now. It would be easy for this room to be 'up itself' but it is so well written that it is a joy to read.
Buy it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 21, 2012 1:00 PM BST

Freedom
Freedom
by Jonathan Franzen

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect Modern Novel, 2 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Freedom (Paperback)
I was bowled over by this book. The characters live on with me. Perfect writing.
Had an uncorrected copy but was too engrossed to notice any misprints.
I would write more but have taken up so much of my week reading this I have to get back to my real life.

The Trinity Six
The Trinity Six
by Charles Cumming

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Spy author writing today, 9 Mar. 2011
This review is from: The Trinity Six (Hardcover)
Have been waiting for this book to come out for ages and it did not disappoint. A thrilling read. Cannot wait for the next one as this author is the only Spy writer I enjoy as they are so well written.

The Star Qualities: How to Sparkle With Confidence in All Aspects of Your Life
The Star Qualities: How to Sparkle With Confidence in All Aspects of Your Life
by Caroline Goyder

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderously perceptive and actually useful, 1 Sept. 2009
Finally! A book with practical advice, academic research and celebirty insight. I loved it and will read it many times over again for different reasons to show me how the silly actors really have some skills which I can used too. A new found respect for the acting clan, This book has taken the serious talent from the celerity dross and remided us of the skills they have and how we can use them too - confidence and public speaking advice is excellent.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 15, 2009 5:27 PM BST

The Music Room
The Music Room
by William Fiennes

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully well-written memoir, 10 April 2009
This review is from: The Music Room (Hardcover)
I loved this book. I loved the imagery, the setting, the love, the family, the honesty, the poetry and the sweet sadness of the story. I read a review calling it a 'small masterpiece' and I totally agree. It is a masterpiece but one which flows fluently and without pretension. It took me just a day to read. I truly hope that it is a great success as a tribute to his brother and his whole family.

Page: 1 | 2